Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

K Member + Daily Driver??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 11:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default K Member + Daily Driver??

I am looking to shed some weight off of my daily driven SS creatively. So after doing some research it looks like a quality K-Member and lower A arms is a good step. I would like to hear from you guys about your experiences with tubular k-members, as far as fit, reliability, and any other thoughts you have.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the BMR with LS1 mounts, saved 25 pounds, and has a lot of room. Way easier working on the car most dont think about but noticed it working around a stock K on diffrent cars, sucks. haha Had it a few years now its been great, lots of street miles. Got it form NewEra was a sale for $445 shipped.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have UMI. Great fit and no issues so far.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:49 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the replies,

I'm going to do a k-member (not sure which one yet), lower a-arms, remove the ABS block (that works when it wants), and the silly TCS motor and cable (which is probably the worst design ever, and more annoying than helpful). Seems like that will save me a total of 45-50 lbs?

This will probably get the car under 3500 w/driver at race weight. Any suggestions on where to look for another 50lbs without removing the a/c, bumpers, door bars, or any other daily driver features?

Also, anyone else with more words from experience with k-members please feel free to share.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

off topic but, is the Spohn K-member the only one you can use solid mounts on?
Old 05-09-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the poly inserts on my BMR.
If your delateing ABS too, ( a linelock too?) its a good time to make new brake lnes. Stock lines don't fit the aftermarket Kmembers that good. And I think look like poo, people just zip tie the stock lines all to long to their Kmember. I did a writeup here
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...itch-diet.html

I dont like the UMI Kmeber its alot heavier then the others, and dosn't have a good weight saving per dollar value, when you compair it to other ones out there. The BMR fits what most street guys do the best, with stock style parts, has extra gusets nd very stong for a street car. Next is the PA racing, more for a lighter car, you can get some race car options on it. Ive seen some OK ones, and some worse ones form them, fit,welds ect.
The racrcraft one is really nice top of the line. Lots off good options if you building more race car. Motor plate, or dirrent motor mounts, fixed mount holes, very lightweight, 4130, tow hooks, rack upgrades....
Old 05-09-2010, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
I have the poly inserts on my BMR.
If your delateing ABS too, ( a linelock too?) its a good time to make new brake lnes. Stock lines don't fit the aftermarket Kmembers that good. And I think look like poo, people just zip tie the stock lines all to long to their Kmember. I did a writeup here
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...itch-diet.html

I dont like the UMI Kmeber its alot heavier then the others, and dosn't have a good weight saving per dollar value, when you compair it to other ones out there. The BMR fits what most street guys do the best, with stock style parts, has extra gusets nd very stong for a street car. Next is the PA racing, more for a lighter car, you can get some race car options on it. Ive seen some OK ones, and some worse ones form them, fit,welds ect.
The racrcraft one is really nice top of the line. Lots off good options if you building more race car. Motor plate, or dirrent motor mounts, fixed mount holes, very lightweight, 4130, tow hooks, rack upgrades....
Thanks,

I agree with what your saying about the brake lines, I have a line lock already, and I'm pretty **** when it comes to the way lines and wiring are routed under the hood so i would definitely go that route.

I agree with you about the k-member too, but I drive my car everywhere. the roads here in FL for the most part are in good shape, and compared to up north they are paved in gold lol, so I'll take a better look at the BMR, and the Racecraft too.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Like mentioned above UMI Performance offers 2 different styles of K Members! We offer a road race version and a aftermarket replacement. But what makes our different from the rest is we offer what we call a duel tube K Member that not only adds additional support that is just plan out solid. Below is a link to show you what all we have to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...ex&cPath=7_137

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! And I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-10-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
Like mentioned above UMI Performance offers 2 different styles of K Members! We offer a road race version and a aftermarket replacement. But what makes our different from the rest is we offer what we call a duel tube K Member that not only adds additional support that is just plan out solid. Below is a link to show you what all we have to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...ex&cPath=7_137

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! And I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Is your k-member chrome moly? If not do you offer one that is chrome moly for additional weight savings?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johns00Z28
Is your k-member chrome moly? If not do you offer one that is chrome moly for additional weight savings?
Hello
Unfortunately we do not offer a Chrome Moly version of a K Member! But we do offer Chrome Moly Upper and Lower A Arms. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

do a little looking around. I believe it was bmr, but one has had issues with the weld cracking. I may of been a numb issue and they could of been corrected. But i do recall it being an issue some years ago.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would avoid chrome molly for a street driven car. Chrome moly is very brittle and prone to cracking. AJE Racing makes some nice k-members and the do a road race version that offers additional bracing that would be good to have on the street.

Good luck.
Craig
Old 05-10-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss performance
I would avoid chrome molly for a street driven car. Chrome moly is very brittle and prone to cracking. AJE Racing makes some nice k-members and the do a road race version that offers additional bracing that would be good to have on the street.

Good luck.
Craig
I'm not sure where you got that info from. My control arms and panhard bar are both chrome moly and I daily drive my car and run low 11's w/ it without a problem.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by johnrobbins
do a little looking around. I believe it was bmr, but one has had issues with the weld cracking. I may of been a numb issue and they could of been corrected. But i do recall it being an issue some years ago.
Yeah I saw that, which was a concern of mine. I'd like to lose the weight RELIABLY, its daily driver after all.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sofls1
Yeah I saw that, which was a concern of mine. I'd like to lose the weight RELIABLY, its daily driver after all.
Have you considered a lightweight hood? That should save 20-30lbs.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

Have you considered a lightweight hood? That should save 20-30lbs.
True, but I haven't looked into it. Does anyone make a lightweight bolt on replica of an SS hood? I like the sunoco, but not really interested on putting on my driver, nor the other raised SS hood.

EDIT: Someone does make one, not sure how much the weight savings is bolt-on vs. factory ss hood. I will be making a phone call on this one.

Last edited by Sofls1; 05-10-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the UMI k-member on my LT1 DD. Lots of access to parts and pieces compared to stock. I'm really glad I switched it.

I had an accident about a year ago though. Bent the front frame rails so the car is lost but, I've got the drivetrain and K-member in a 97 z28 now. Only damage was the lowest part of the k-member had teh powder coat scraped off. Really strong piece considering out my car looked afterwards :

Old 05-10-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

I personally like the sunoco but I can understand why you'd want to keep the SS hood. Check out VFN's selection.
http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/932001camaro.htm
Old 05-10-2010, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

I personally like the sunoco but I can understand why you'd want to keep the SS hood. Check out VFN's selection.
http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/932001camaro.htm
Yeah a competitor of theirs makes one that looks like the stock SS hood, but they are not a sponsor, so I dont think I post their name. I want to find out how much it weighs.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sofls1
Yeah a competitor of theirs makes one that looks like the stock SS hood, but they are not a sponsor, so I dont think I post their name. I want to find out how much it weighs.
I can assure you the pin on is lighter than the bolton one. 6litereater used to have a car a carbon fiber SS hood that looked exactly like the stock one but I don't see it on his site anymore...maybe you can pm him about it.

Quick Reply: K Member + Daily Driver??