Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Any F body (SJM) ABS Deletes? Pics/comments

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any F body (SJM) ABS Deletes? Pics/comments

Im thinking all pulling that big ***, ugly as ****, ABS box on my 02 SS beings i dont drive her in the rain or snow and since ive owned the car gioing on 5 years never once had it come on LOL A buddy of mine told me he's getting a kit or porportioning valve to delete his and was told by another builder that since our cars are lowered with stiffer springs that we can add more to the rear brakes like 40% since our cars dont dip like they use to under hard braking. I was just wondering if any of you haver done this and have some pics to post of your (finished ABS delete) and comments on how much more pressure you've sent to your rear brakes now and the overall feel now as compared to having the ABS box ?

Last edited by barnat; 06-26-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default (SJM) ABS delete kit

I know, I know, The search is my freind LOL
I found A KIT while doing a search that a company called SJM makes a really nice ABS delete kit that ill probably get. I was just wondering if any of you have installed this kit and actually took out the ABS engine bay wireing loom itself? It looks like its just 1 piece that goes right into a grommet at the firewall and I was wondering if this can be unplug somewhere under the dash by itself or does it tie into other stuff under the dash
Looks like a really nice kit!
Im also wondering since ive changed over to a BMR K member if i could get some (shorter) or custom made braided brake lines put in, verses having these longer, stock braided lines sticking up out of the middle of nowhere ,where the ABS block use to be LOL ? I think it would really clean things up if instead of coming out of the SJM porportioning vave and going over to another block to meet these stock braided lines, if these lines were to come right over to the porportioning valve itself , would look way cleaner IMO .Im just wondering if anybodys done this yet and could post some pics ?
Thanks guys Barnat

Last edited by barnat; 06-26-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Launching!

The kit is designed to either leave the braided lines or remove them. If you remove the braided lines, the new configuration will route the the lower framerail.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SJMMFGINC
The kit is designed to either leave the braided lines or remove them. If you remove the braided lines, the new configuration will route the the lower framerail.
Any pics with the new configuiration SJM? I searched but couldnt find any. I really like the kit too by the way. Very nice indeed !
I was even wondering ,instead of running a line over to the stock braided lines from the porportioning valve like ive seen in pics, if these lines could be pulled over and mounted derictly to the porporting valve itself with a 2 port adapter right on the end of the valve instead of the 1 port ? It lookes like the lines are long enough?This way they'ed be tighter up against the inner fender well and there be no need for new lines

Last edited by barnat; 06-27-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Launching!

I should have rephrased "new configuration". It's setup to do both configurations; by new I was referring to one of two ways each being different. Most do not install them without the braided lines as it is more difficult if you have the engine in the car. LT1 setups do not have a choice as they do not have braided lines as you do.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:48 PM
9 Second Club

Anybody delete the ABS and still drive on the street? Not trying to thread hijack.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Removing ABS doesn't make the vehicles braking system worse where it's not streetable.

Normal braking is not effected...actually; you can improve braking control due to the adjustable proportioning valve. Braking issues due to varied tire diameters or faulty ABS are also eliminated.

If you're car is bone stock and everything is working correctly, unless you're eliminating the ABS for weight appearance or ease of working on the engine, I'd say leave well enough alone. The ABS system on a bone stock car is engineered to work well when needed.

If you've modified the braking system i.e. rotors/pads etc...Or changed tire diameters or altered weight distribution of the car...removing ABS is very helpful. Since the ABS system is not tunable, if you've modified the car quite a bit...it may not work as intended. An analogy would be installing a new camshaft in your engine and not tuning the computer engine. Luckily, the engine's computer, you can tune...the ABS computer which is separate is not tunable.

Even if you didn't want to remove ABS, you can at least add an adjustable proportioning valve to the ABS system so you can take control over your brake bias. We have those kits too.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJMMFGINC
Removing ABS doesn't make the vehicles braking system worse where it's not streetable.

Normal braking is not effected...actually; you can improve braking control due to the adjustable proportioning valve. Braking issues due to varied tire diameters or faulty ABS are also eliminated.

If you're car is bone stock and everything is working correctly, unless you're eliminating the ABS for weight appearance or ease of working on the engine, I'd say leave well enough alone. The ABS system on a bone stock car is engineered to work well when needed.

If you've modified the braking system i.e. rotors/pads etc...Or changed tire diameters or altered weight distribution of the car...removing ABS is very helpful. Since the ABS system is not tunable, if you've modified the car quite a bit...it may not work as intended. An analogy would be installing a new camshaft in your engine and not tuning the computer engine. Luckily, the engine's computer, you can tune...the ABS computer which is separate is not tunable.

Even if you didn't want to remove ABS, you can at least add an adjustable proportioning valve to the ABS system so you can take control over your brake bias. We have those kits too.
I want to remove my ABS system because I have a spool in my car but I want my brakes to still work and not have any issues. What do you mean by adjustable proportioning valve? What valve needs to be adjusted? Thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Our kits include an adjustable Wilwood proportioning valve. This allows you to adjust your brake bias, something you could not do previously.

Right now, your system it not operating correctly...your ABS system can actually affect your braking system negatively.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
I want to remove my ABS system because I have a spool in my car but I want my brakes to still work and not have any issues. What do you mean by adjustable proportioning valve? What valve needs to be adjusted? Thanks
Try looking up on google and/or search on here. IT will help you out very much so. Abs deletes will help your car brake better especially when you have lightened your car up as you have already. Abs willl not work properly since you have taken weight from your car out!
Old 07-11-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

right now your brake bias(how much pressure the rear get vs. the front, you could say) is controlled by your abs block which is non-adjustable. it has the correct bias for a close to factory car. when you remove that, you put a proportioning valve in the rear brake line to reduce how much pressure the rear brakes receive. this allows you to adjust your brake bias. i know this has already been stated, but maybe that'll clear it up a little.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:30 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by dutinsss
right now your brake bias(how much pressure the rear get vs. the front, you could say) is controlled by your abs block which is non-adjustable. it has the correct bias for a close to factory car. when you remove that, you put a proportioning valve in the rear brake line to reduce how much pressure the rear brakes receive. this allows you to adjust your brake bias. i know this has already been stated, but maybe that'll clear it up a little.
Thanks
Old 07-14-2010, 03:16 AM
Banned

Once you remove the control module, how much wiring can be removed? Where does the harness for the module come from and go to?

I imagine wheel speed sensors can go too right?

I would want to get all that out!

Quick Reply: Any F body (SJM) ABS Deletes? Pics/comments