Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sway Bar (Front/Rear) size?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bar (Front/Rear) size?

Looking for some help on which size I need to order for the front and rear? I took a measurment but want to be sure they are correct before ordering them, lookin at the Energy Suspension or Prothane brand with zurk fittings. Was told those are the way to go for easy lubing.

Here's what I got:

Front 35mm??
Rear 22mm??

I know the Hawks came with a beefier bars I believe verses the normal stock one Any help would be great!

Site I was looking at was Jegs.com

Links -

http://www.jegs.com/p/Energy-Suspens...91835/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/p/Prothane/Proth...81833/10002/-1

Any others I should be looking at?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

you measured and your bars are 35/22?

the very rare Bilstein Ultra suspension setup on some Firehawks was 35/21 bars

orrrr maybe you have strano bars on there already, they come powdercoated blackish I believe so they look factory, but they should have poly bushings already
Old 07-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
you measured and your bars are 35/22?

the very rare Bilstein Ultra suspension setup on some Firehawks was 35/21 bars

orrrr maybe you have strano bars on there already, they come powdercoated blackish I believe so they look factory, but they should have poly bushings already

Correct my car I ordered with the Bilstein suspension, put it on ramps today and measured the front and it is 35mm and rear is 21mm. They are semi glossy powder coated. They look rubber to me. I'll have to take it to the dealer and have my mechanic look at it. The car just started a few weeks ago sounding like crap, by that I mean when you get in or out of it it grunts and creeks bad. Even when coming to a slow stop or when taking off. It's driving me nuts as you can hear it clear outside the car when it's running
Old 07-06-2010, 03:50 AM

Try having the LCA's and the swaybar mounts greased. It could also be the spring isolator if it is not positioned where its supposed to be.

Hawks and SS's have always come with a 32mm front bar. To my knowledge, the 35mm was never offered with the car. It had to be purchased separately. If you have one, GREAT! 35mm's are as big as they come.

I love my Helwig '1 rear bar. It's solid and boy does it keep that rear end planted. I did a lot of autox'ing and back road trial runs. A MUST GET. The mounting hardware alone is massive.

Last edited by mcnoskyimages; 07-06-2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mcnoskyimages
Try having the LCA's and the swaybar mounts greased. It could also be the spring isolator if it is not positioned where its supposed to be.

Hawks and SS's have always come with a 32mm front bar. To my knowledge, the 35mm was never offered with the car. It had to be purchased separately. If you have one, GREAT! 35mm's are as big as they come.

I love my Helwig '1 rear bar. It's solid and boy does it keep that rear end planted. I did a lot of autox'ing and back road trial runs. A MUST GET. The mounting hardware alone is massive.
as mentioned above, there was a 35/21mm bar option from SLP. Most people would not advice to move up to a rear 1" bar unless you want a lot of oversteer. 35/21(or 22 hollow) is just about a perfect match.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:49 AM

I had the same package on my fully loaded 96SS and it was a 32mm. Unless the changed it for the LS cars. I know that my 92 B4C was a 35mm. I've ran the "1 bar with a stock setup, SLP level 2 springs and shocks (which I currently have), all the way to Global West springs with Koni DA's slammed to ground. The only time I experienced over steer is when I had a stupid STB on.

The only way I can foresee having too much oversteer with a bigger rear bar (but have hot experienced) is having a 35mm with it doing high speed road race or shenanigans on the highway. Again, have not experienced. The 35 gives it just that much more bite. I use s 32mm which gives a little more on the hwy over ruts and stuff. it makes the ride smoother and plants the rear. If your doing more lower speed corner carving I'd stick with the 35.

If you decide to try the "1, I will send you a 32mm if you don't have one. Just pay for shipping. I have a couple in my attic. GET THEM OUT!...

Last edited by mcnoskyimages; 07-06-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

WS.6 also got a 32mm front bar.
Some 1LE cars came with a 35/21 combo as well.
And last, you can get a 36mm front bar (I think from hotchkiss).

Im honestly surprised you haven't noticed that the "popular" setup is usually a 35mm/36mm front bar and a 21 or 22mm rear bar in handling applications then.

I had the same package on my fully loaded 96SS and it was a 32mm. Unless the changed it for the LS cars. I know that my 92 B4C was a 35mm. I've ran the "1 bar with a stock setup, SLP level 2 springs and shocks (which I currently have), all the way to Global West springs with Koni DA's slammed to ground. The only time I experienced over steer is when I had a stupid STB on.
Strange, most people (including myself) saw no difference at all with an STB.
A 25mm rear bar is known for being overly stiff and causing the car to swap ends, even with a bigger front bar.

The only way I can foresee having too much oversteer with a bigger rear bar (but have hot experienced) is having a 35mm with it doing high speed road race or shenanigans on the highway. Again, have not experienced. The 35 gives it just that much more bite. I use s 32mm which gives a little more on the hwy over ruts and stuff. it makes the ride smoother and plants the rear. If your doing more lower speed corner carving I'd stick with the 35.
Should be just the opposite, the stiffer the rear suspension, the more the over steer. And FWIW I noticed no ride quality change between a 32mm and a 35mm front bar, only an increase in turn in and grip.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:12 PM

Holy Crap! I didn't even know there was a 36mm. When did that happen? Obviously, I have not kept up on things. Happens with having kids.

Well now I am curious. I'll have to try that setup out. I knew a lot of fellow autox'ers loved the 35's because of the better turn in. I didn't have the $400 bucks to drop on one at the time. This is the setup that I was running when I was auto x'ing:

96SS
Level III SLP springs (yes there is such a thing)
Koni DA's
Hotchkis LCA' & Adj PHB
"1 Helwig rear sway bar
SLP double diamond bolt in sub-frame connectors
Hotchkis STB

The back end did want to come around a lot. As soon as I got ride of the stb, it's been like butter. Maybe my driving style just likes it more.

Maybe I'm getting older or it's because I drive a caddy every day but, my car does feel rougher.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar (Front/Rear) size?