Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Could missing rear sway bar cause rear end to move??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could missing rear sway bar cause rear end to move??

Well I got to lookin at sway bars and crawled under my ss to find there wasn't one could the missing sway bar cause the rear end to move one way or the other cuz mine was way off and was trying to figure out why could that be the reason??
Old 07-19-2010, 07:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Not having a rear sway bar on the vehicle will allow the chassis to roll in the rear over the rear wheels. And could possibly cause clearance issues as well. I would suggest getting a rear sway bar and end-links installed on the vehicle to eliminate any further issues. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer as far as sway bars. We offer a 22mm rear solid bar that feature energy suspension poly end-links and body mounting bushings.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...jbdcp9mpi7bhq4

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear sway bar is NOT a locating device - the lower control arms and panhard rod do that. If it is sitting too far off to one side, that would be the panhard rod. If it is crooked front to back, that's the lower control arms. The torque arm keeps it from rotating about the axles. That's all the axle needs to stay in place.

The sway bar is for preventing body roll - not having it could cause clearance issues in corners as the body would roll more than it should, but that's the only thing the sway bar would affect.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
The rear sway bar is NOT a locating device - the lower control arms and panhard rod do that. If it is sitting too far off to one side, that would be the panhard rod. If it is crooked front to back, that's the lower control arms. The torque arm keeps it from rotating about the axles. That's all the axle needs to stay in place.

The sway bar is for preventing body roll - not having it could cause clearance issues in corners as the body would roll more than it should, but that's the only thing the sway bar would affect.
Do you happen to be Tom Meents? If so, that is awesome to know your an f-body enthusiast!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Nevermind lol, I just saw "Steve"
Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Gotcha but would it be possible not havin the sway bar and maybe doinn donuts or beatin on the car with no sway bar coul have messed one of my springs up causing sag or something to allow the rear to shift I'm just tryin ti figure out how the rear moved with out the pan hard bein bent and were the noise I hears comm from I have an adj ph and I don't think the clackings com from the maybe a perch or something came loos idk driven me crazy!!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

When I pulled the ph down to put the beast tighten on it the rear immediatly shot back over and had to have a buuddy push the body back over to line it back over and I'm on stock susp. Guess il order some stranos konis an sway bars be done with it (when I win the lottery ha ha dang it)
Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 DUKE'Z 28
Do you happen to be Tom Meents? If so, that is awesome to know your an f-body enthusiast!!!
Nope...but I'm a big fan, and not just because we share the same last name.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For the rear end to be off the panhard bar would need to be bent or adjusted too short/long. How much is the rear end off and where did you measure it from? Try measuring from the center of the wheels out to the fender well using a long level to stand against the car, do both sides. Also since the panhard bar is adjustable is there a chance the adjustment came loose and the panhard bar has moved in length? When you originally installed the panhard bar did you center the rear end?

Let us know and we are glad to help.

Ryan
Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanzy98LS1
Well I got to lookin at sway bars and crawled under my ss to find there wasn't one could the missing sway bar cause the rear end to move one way or the other cuz mine was way off and was trying to figure out why could that be the reason??

A swaybar does not prevent the rear from moving, it only minimizes the body roll while cornering. The panhard rod is responsible for properly locating the rearend in the chassis. When you say that the rear end was way off are you referring to it's location in the chassis side-to-side?
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Could missing rear sway bar cause rear end to move??