Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Fays 2 Watts Link

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96silverram
I have this item and have been putting it off (too lazy in the summer heat ) Can someone tell me where I should start with the center pivot bolt. I think there are 5 or 7 slots ? Do you start in the middle or do you suggest a different suspension setting. The car is loaded with BMR & Strano parts on the suspension. So, I would like a setting that will show the handling upgrades for the street mostly. I'm open to suggestion.

PS: Yes, the part is way cool !
When you set these up you have to have the adjustable cross arms perfectly horizontal and the same length. Thats why you can make the up & down adjustment with the pivit bolt to get the the arms paralle to the rearend.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, would you start at the center position on the pivot, or would you choose a different position higher or lower. Does one direction constitute a change in handling better or worse? IE: if I go higher does the rear of the car respond quicker?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone doing any twistys with this installed on their fbody? wondering when properly setup with aftermarket springs/shocks what kind of improvements people are seeing on the road course? Im not trying to spend $650 for something that looks cool and probably adds a ton of weight...and dont just say it helps... REAL WORLD RESULTS PLEASE.
ps the link does look killer, what kind of g's are people pulling with these?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Launching!

So, would you start at the center position on the pivot, or would you choose a different position higher or lower. Does one direction constitute a change in handling better or worse? IE: if I go higher does the rear of the car respond quicker?
Keeping in mind that the adjustable bars have to be straight a parrell. I lowered my car by about 1 1/4'' if you look at the center position of the bolt it's up by 1 1/4'', if you have a stock car height I would start in the center hole and see if the bars are parrell or not
Old 07-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
anyone doing any twistys with this installed on their fbody? wondering when properly setup with aftermarket springs/shocks what kind of improvements people are seeing on the road course? Im not trying to spend $650 for something that looks cool and probably adds a ton of weight...and dont just say it helps... REAL WORLD RESULTS PLEASE.
ps the link does look killer, what kind of g's are people pulling with these?
My car will take a curve faster then I can drive, I will chicken out first. The guys that run these on the road courses say it a night and day differents???

When you lower a car you change the "ROLL CENTER" of the car and handling goes to ****, the Watts link can help to reastablish the ROLL CENTER!!

Weight is a whole different problem, this whole deal weighs ALOT, I made mine from 1"sq tube 1/8''wall and my adjustable arms are made from DOM tubing. I'm not sure if FAYs 2 is liter or not but probably sure it's close in weight

I made it just for the COOL Factor seeing how I show the car, 90% of the people have no ideal what the hell a Watts Links is!!

Bill
Old 07-28-2010, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have my car lowered about 2" all the way around. The car can be adjusted to any height, coil-overs at all four corners. So, if my car is lowered do I want to move the pivot bolt to the top or the bottom.

PS: The weight issue should not be huge (FAYS), I think its about 12 to 14 pounds (IIRC) more once you pull out the upper pan hard and regular pan hard?

FbodyONLY,
I have read many testimonials of people stating the (FAYS) watts link made a huge difference on their car.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hrmm, a case of monkey see, monkey do?

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
We have a lot of new things in the works right now with the 5 gen but don't worry we aren't done with the 4th gen yet
Old 07-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Launching!

I actually have my car lowered about 2" all the way around. The car can be adjusted to any height, coil-overs at all four corners. So, if my car is lowered do I want to move the pivot bolt to the top or the bottom.

PS: The weight issue should not be huge (FAYS), I think its about 12 to 14 pounds (IIRC) more once you pull out the upper pan hard and regular pan hard?

FbodyONLY,
I have read many testimonials of people stating the (FAYS) watts link made a huge difference on their car.
If the center hole is for stock settings you as I have to move up, keeping in mind the adjusting arms need to be parallel ..this is the key, thats why there is adjustment.....I hope that makes since??

Bill
Old 07-28-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

FbodyONLY,
You'll want to move it up, possibly all the way up.
You'll also want the two aluminum bars parallel to each other and the axle tube/housing; the install manual explains it all.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

Damn, if you guys keep talking about this ima have to get one. It's on the list I just have to get a couple of other things 1st. Damn.....hey Sam your phone is ringing

o and blue saw your build on .com very cool
Old 07-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Launching!

o and blue saw your build on .com very cool[/QUOTE]

Thanks.....you know I love to build this stuff....saves money to

Bill
Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Hrmm, a case of monkey see, monkey do?
Wow, are you a skeptic......... I have one on my Camaro, and I can tell you it ain't coming off.... and in fact running it allowed me to take a lot of previously necessary wheel spacer out too. That's how much lateral movement there is from the arc of a PHB.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-28-2010, 02:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by redracer1
Damn, if you guys keep talking about this ima have to get one. It's on the list I just have to get a couple of other things 1st. Damn.....hey Sam your phone is ringing
Damn, did I miss the call?????????
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Damn, did I miss the call?????????
lol. only if you work for Nitto....gotta buy tires first or even a Wattslink wouldn't help.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Wink

That comment was directed to BMR... i.e. they're not done with the 4th Gen. yet could imply they will finally get on board with their own Watts Link.

Skeptic in general yes, but I am mostly on-board on the Watts Link. Sure would like to drive an F-Body with one to try it... Too bad there are no shops where you can go try out stuff like this...

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Wow, are you a skeptic......... I have one on my Camaro, and I can tell you it ain't coming off.... and in fact running it allowed me to take a lot of previously necessary wheel spacer out too. That's how much lateral movement there is from the arc of a PHB.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

IF you are skeptical of it call and talk to Sam. Trust me, he has talked me out of buying more parts for my car than I list. This man is not going to bullshit you on what works and what doesn't.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
You shouldn't have any ground clearance issues, I've never any to date even with my car being rather low.
http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w...swaybar013.jpg
did you need different u-bolts?

what did you do about the brake tabs?

thanks,
tony
Old 07-28-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

got mine from the fedex man today!!

hope to get it installed this weekend.

tony
Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vatechguy3
did you need different u-bolts?

what did you do about the brake tabs?

thanks,
tony
Most likely you'll need longer U-bolts, the factory GM U-bolts range from almost to barely long enough, with my current Hotchkis adjustable rear sway bar the U-bolts work fine,with threads to spare.

Brake tabs; grind them off!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

So why doesn't Fays include longer U-bolts with the pricey kit?!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Most likely you'll need longer U-bolts, the factory GM U-bolts range from almost to barely long enough, with my current Hotchkis adjustable rear sway bar the U-bolts work fine,with threads to spare.

Quick Reply: Fays 2 Watts Link