Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP Bilstein $409.99--IN STOCK

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Default SLP Bilstein $409.99--IN STOCK

Shipment just arrived. Filling backorders now. You can place new orders anytime!!!! http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them on my car....definitely very nice. These IMO are the only shocks to have on a car that likes to corner if you can't afford Koni SA's. Personally, I'm looking forward to upgrading to the Koni SA's though.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Amazing, I have been misinformed, but SLP won't tell you this. Upon calling Bilstein today at 858-386-5900, spoke with Freddie, who works in warranty and he said the SLP Bilsteins are covered with a lifetime warranty also in addition to the HD's (original purchaser only on both). He said the only Bilsteins which are not lifetime are the 5125 shocks, which supposedly aren't offered for Camaro anyhow.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 09-22-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Amazing, I have been misinformed, but SLP won't tell you this. Upon calling Bilstein today at 858-386-5900, spoke with Freddie, who works in warranty and he said the SLP Bilsteins are covered with a lifetime warranty also in addition to the HD's (original purchaser only). He said the only Bilsteins which are not lifetime are the 5125 shocks, which supposedly aren't offered for Camaro anyhow.
Good news for people on here that spend the extra on the HD for the warranty....Good find!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

what are the best springs that goes with Bilstein shocks ?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

stock or the SLP spec Eibachs IMO. Other springs will work, but the Bilsteins don't really have the valving to work optimally with lower travel/higher rates of other springs.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ i too think the same.

im interested in what Sam has to say ?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Here is my opinion on springs and SLP Bilstein shocks.

If you can't do Koni's, then Bilstein's are the next best choice for durability. They are also about equal to good AGX's) in terms of overall control. The difference is Bilstein's will last a lot longer than AGX's do, but because they aren't adjustable the Bilsteins do lack some rebound damping in comparison.

This is a very sticky situation, as no Bilstein was really intended for a true performance oriented lowering spring, but for the more compromised SLP Eibach Level 1 type springs (which I also sell, but aren't the look or performance many are seeking). So when you put a Bilstein on with a spring like mine from the get go the shock is lacking a bit of rebound damping in comparison to what *I* prefer. The thing is some folks even with Koni's might run them a little softer vs. what *I* prefer too (though that's rare and if anything you'll find a greater number of folks running similar or firmer than I do).

I suppose the best way I can sum this up is this way: If you go Bilstein (SLP or HD really doesn't matter) you want to avoid the very stiffest of lowering springs completely. My springs were derived from what I run on my car including the Koni's because it's what flat out worked the absolute best for my use. That said, I don't run super high spring rates, in fact they are softer than many other sets that are sometimes thought of as "street" springs--so for a while the Bilstein's deal with springs like mine fairly well. But a year or two down the road if the car gets any sort of mileage you'll start to see a result similar to what the stock shocks were like on an SS or WS6 as the miles piled on. The ride will start to suffer in terms of impact harshness, and the car will start to feel a little more vague and sort of disconnected. That's not the shocks being "worn out" really, it's just at that point they've worn some, and the fact you were asking them to do more than what they were designed to handle will start to show through. If you were then to take that set of Bilstein's and put them on say stock springs, you'd find they feel relatively better as they still have rebound control to handle the softer rate and do it in a greater amount of travel.

I sell a lot of Bilstein/Strano combinations to folks because they like the price, they like the springs and they are getting a quality damper if not the best outright performance. I don't personally think it's the best combination but it's much closer to it than it to the worse thing you could do. I try to be honest about it with folks, and I wouldn't sell something that is a disaster.

I do think damping wise the SLP Bilstein's are best suited for stock or Level 1 type springs which sacrifice roll and pitch stiffness and the look many want. My springs and Hotchkis in the mix after that working pretty damned well for a while and giving upgraded roll and pitch stiffness while not completely overwhelming the Bilstein damping. But get to LG springs, or LT1 Pro-kit or Vogtland production springs and you've just got springs that from the get go completely overwhelm the available damping.

How's that? fwiw, you can't get that kind of information from other places... Not now, not ever.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ That was awesome. Quality experience and filling in the gaps like that is much appreciated!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thanks... I try. That's the sort of thing I have to hang my hat on. I'm not big, I don't have multiple salesman running around on these boards (or in fact in this building). I can't give parts away. I'm not Wal-mart, and don't want to be. I try to be your corner hardware store owner who knows how to work with what I sell and help the customers who appreciate that sort of knowledge. We all want a deal--but I like to spend my personal money with folks that I know will be there for me if I need them. I buy my trucks at a local small dealer 20 miles from here, for more than I could pay right here in town. But they've always been there for me.

Luckily there are folks that still appreciate the little guy. I wish more did, but sometimes the almighty dollar gets in the way. I do my absolute best on pricing considering I don't get the huge discounts available to more volume shops. It's not an easy business to have to keep reminding folks that while I might sell similar parts, what I do is not the the same as some salesman behind a counter collecting commission on his sales.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sam I read how you said that any kind of higher mileage on the shocks with lowering springs you would get the worn out feeling in the ride again. I have stock springs in the rear and pro kit in the front and the car is only driven a few times every couple of weeks. Would the bilsteins hold up for awhile as stated or maybe longer since i dont drive it much?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The shocks don't wear if the car isn't being driven, or driven much. Also you have lighter weight (though short) front springs and stock rears... One of the better lowering spring scenerios.....
Old 09-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Launching!

You got a sales person right here Sam....I toss you name around everywhere and at all my autox events. I even had your stranoparts.com decals on either side of my windsheild for a while as you see in the below image. (need some more) The fact that you were willing to take the time to talk to me, and even call me about my alignment when you didn't know me from Adam spoke wonders. Now I will say UMI and BMR is active and helpful on here as well....but the experienced knowledge of real world application you give far exceeds any other "dealer" let alone a manufacturer. I'll always buy my UMI suspension from you. You stand for what America is lacking in the business world nowadays and I respect that.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thanks man. Appreciate the kind words (and the referrals too).
Old 09-24-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks sam for making it shine .

so the Bilstein are not designed to work "best" with lowered cars.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Im honestly shocked to hear that. I had koni 4/4s on 550/150 ground controls and on the stiffest setting it was pretty good. I set them to full soft and didnt like it so i set it back to stiff. Now Months later the adjustment was broken on the konis perhaps because the car was lowered too much.

I now have Bilsteins with 650/200 springs on ground controls and my car is lowered as much as possible without having tire rub. The ride beats the snot out of the koni 4/4 setup I had and kicks its *** to the moon. The ride is great, its smooth and very controlled even at top speed with the speedo pegged.

I think everyones opinions will vary based on what they like. I have 19/20 wheels on this setup and the wheels are way heavier than the 18s I had with konis. it still rides better. I have a baby seat in the back and my wife even said 'wow this camaro is so much smoother than your last one'.

that's My .02. ANyone is more than welcome to take my car for a spin to form their own opinion. Here's how low mine is right now...
Old 09-26-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

$409.99 shipped?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
$409.99 shipped?
Not currently. But shipping isn't bad as they aren't in a huge box and weigh about 25 pounds for the set. Just depends on where you live.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
Im honestly shocked to hear that. I had koni 4/4s on 550/150 ground controls and on the stiffest setting it was pretty good. I set them to full soft and didnt like it so i set it back to stiff. Now Months later the adjustment was broken on the konis perhaps because the car was lowered too much.

I now have Bilsteins with 650/200 springs on ground controls and my car is lowered as much as possible without having tire rub. The ride beats the snot out of the koni 4/4 setup I had and kicks its *** to the moon. The ride is great, its smooth and very controlled even at top speed with the speedo pegged.

I think everyones opinions will vary based on what they like. I have 19/20 wheels on this setup and the wheels are way heavier than the 18s I had with konis. it still rides better. I have a baby seat in the back and my wife even said 'wow this camaro is so much smoother than your last one'.

that's My .02. ANyone is more than welcome to take my car for a spin to form their own opinion. Here's how low mine is right now...
Nasty--

The issues are plenty. You are running coil-overs and I don't care what the spring rates are if you are too low and lack sufficient travel it will ride like ***. See Eibach Sportlines for reference they aren't stiff and ride like dung. Further, once you bust a damper it's not an effective damper anymore which also wrecks ride. You broke a Koni running it too low.

Ok, so you see to like a 650 and Bilstein's better. Ok. My guess is your ride height isn't any lower or maybe higher than it was, and with your higher rate have more effective working travel than you had before. Also Bilstein's and Koni's are build differently and Bilstein's are a bit more tolerant of being slammed (though still not good).

Finally, how do you square the fact the car came with less than 300 lb springs on it stock, the SLP's are 300-450, and Bilstein's were an option on those springs. You have 650's and think there is adequate damping? 1LE's had 360 springs and got Koni's, not Bilstein's as OEM from 1996 on. Prior they got specially valved deCarbon's.

I believe your results. But I believe your results are themselves a function of things you did. I have no idea what the Koni's were set like, as this is something I go over with my customers. I don't know what you did on your Ground control setup (I don't sell that anymore, but have used it in the past) in conjunction with the dampers.

To each his own I guess but I think you're findings are a big skewed based on my results. Koni's are firmer and are the more performance oriented damper, which is generally what you want and need when adding spring rate and cutting travel.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Thanks man. Appreciate the kind words (and the referrals too).
Even though I bought his springs and konis from UMI as a packaged, Sam has been very helpful during the install and whatever questions I asked him. Definately much better than any "WALMART" type vendors out there as he said.

Quick Reply: SLP Bilstein $409.99--IN STOCK