Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rusted Stock Shock Nut - OPTIONS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question Rusted Stock Shock Nut - OPTIONS?

As you can see, the Rusted Stock Shock Nut is not going anywhere despite soaking in PB Blast, the spring just turns in the isolator, seems the nut is fused with the washer and dog biscuit metal - any good suggestions without destroying the strut mount? Not sure if this mount is worth reusing -- will have to see if I can get it disconnected in one piece.

TIA
Attached Thumbnails Rusted Stock Shock Nut - OPTIONS?-img_0060.jpg  
Old 10-11-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure your springs are compressed before removing that nut. I'm sure you've already done that. My nut was in 10times worse condition then yours and I got mine off. Yours doesn't look all that bad.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

They are compressed -- I will try a bit more compression. Mine doesn't look so bad since it's masked by the PB Blast -- will have to snap a dry pic.

Originally Posted by Greekey
Make sure your springs are compressed before removing that nut. I'm sure you've already done that. My nut was in 10times worse condition then yours and I got mine off. Yours doesn't look all that bad.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

i dremeled mine off .......saved the mount at least.......dont worry if you mess up the dogbone
Old 10-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

Use that flat area on top of the strut shaft. Use a box wrench to turn the nut while you secure the top of the shaft with an adjustable wrench. (The adjustable wrench will keep the assembly from turning.)

If that doesn't work, you can get an angled nut splitter from any tool or automotive store like this one: http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/produ...-996553reg.jpg (its a special purpose tool for this type of thing)
Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all else fails, Advance Auto has Moog strut mounts for $80. I have two new mounts and the bushing sitting here waiting to install. If I don't need them I can take them back. If mine come apart easy (unlikely) then no problem. If they are all rusted then they are going in the trash.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Use that flat area on top of the strut shaft. Use a box wrench to turn the nut while you secure the top of the shaft with an adjustable wrench. (The adjustable wrench will keep the assembly from turning.)

If that doesn't work, you can get an angled nut splitter from any tool or automotive store like this one: http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/produ...-996553reg.jpg (its a special purpose tool for this type of thing)
I don't see any of that working.^^^ You need to use an impact to take it off. If you are using a ratchet and socket you will just strip the nut. Trust me, I have done plenty of these to know. Yours is in mint condition compared to what I have come across. Some couldn't be save, I had to just grind the nut off. As for the nut splitter that the auto parts sell, I wouldn't waste my time. The nut is recessed in to strut mount and the splitter is flat and won't be able to get in there to cut it. I have also tried it. Best way is to use an impact with a really good socket that is not worn down. It will come off easily.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

I just cut the shock shaft on mine and dealt with it a bit more when I got the shock and spring out of there.. It's been a while though. I think I used some Vice-Grips on the remaining shaft to hold it.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

I took a blow torch and impact wrench to mine, came right off. I'd suggest you do the same or chop it off.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Haven't tried my impact wrench yet -- will give it a shot -- just have to find a good way to secure the strut mount -- my vise doesn't open that wide...

I hesitate to use a blow torch for fear of melting all the rubber in the area...

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
I don't see any of that working.^^^ You need to use an impact to take it off. If you are using a ratchet and socket you will just strip the nut. Trust me, I have done plenty of these to know. Yours is in mint condition compared to what I have come across. Some couldn't be save, I had to just grind the nut off. As for the nut splitter that the auto parts sell, I wouldn't waste my time. The nut is recessed in to strut mount and the splitter is flat and won't be able to get in there to cut it. I have also tried it. Best way is to use an impact with a really good socket that is not worn down. It will come off easily.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

^ I woulda done the impact first. Try some vice grips to hold the shock shaft.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

What kind of shocks are on there currently? Stock?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Stock which is Delphi on the '02, this is the Driver Side -- SLP Bilstein is all set on the Passenger side already.

Originally Posted by z28bryan
What kind of shocks are on there currently? Stock?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nut splitters have saved me a bunch of times but that
well looks kinda deep.

I'd be inclined to try a cold chisel to do the same task,
either it will pulverize the rust or it will eventually split
the nut. You might even see it work as a "poor man's
impact" if you were to angle it slightly CCW.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Stock which is Delphi on the '02, this is the Driver Side -- SLP Bilstein is all set on the Passenger side already.
So is the passenger side changed? Don't some people cut the shock shaft?
Old 10-12-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Passenger side is changed -- that strut mount was completed rusted through and the shock was disconnected -- what a pain -- sawed off the shaft 1/2 way and broke off the end the rest of the way with a mini-sledge on that one.

Originally Posted by z28bryan
So is the passenger side changed? Don't some people cut the shock shaft?
Old 10-12-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

If youre replacing the shock, just cut it off.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Haven't tried my impact wrench yet -- will give it a shot -- just have to find a good way to secure the strut mount -- my vise doesn't open that wide...

I hesitate to use a blow torch for fear of melting all the rubber in the area...
Blow torch won't hurt it, just hit the nut not the rubber. If you're lucky it'll come off without torching it.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Question

So I tightened the spring compressors a bit more, had PB Blast soaking overnight and the air impact drill got the nut spinning, then the nut stripped on 15mm and couldn't get the wrench to turn the nut much while using another wrench on the top of the shaft, so I forced on the 14mm air drill bit and it got stuck -- wacked it off and then just wacked off the shock rod just below the nut using a mini sledge hammer! Was getting so annoying, sometimes brute force works. Tried the Map Gas torch and it started melting and sticking up the rubber -- maybe propane is a better choice, but I wouldn't advise it for this job, unless you don't mind the melted rubber mess.

What do you think of this strut mount & "dog biscuit"? Top and bottom of each are shown (both pics are driver side) -- I am thinking they are no good. HOW is the GM design for the strut shock rod sleeve just held in place by rubber?! That is what failed on the passenger side and completely pulled out! Looks like this side is loosing its bonding too. What do ya'll think?

Thanks for all the tips above, by the way.
Attached Thumbnails Rusted Stock Shock Nut - OPTIONS?-img_0061.jpg   Rusted Stock Shock Nut - OPTIONS?-img_0062.jpg  

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 10-15-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

Unless you're going to reuse that shock, just cut the nut off. Go at an angle and try not to cut through the mount. That's how I had to do mine.

Quick Reply: Rusted Stock Shock Nut - OPTIONS?