Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Jaguar IRS in fbody ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar IRS in fbody ??

What do you guys think about putting a Jaguar independent rear suspension in an fbody? I dont have the funding to make this car a bad *** high HP drag car, so i want to make it corner friendly .

I already have a rebuilt Jag IRS that i have been trying to sell forever but no one seems to want a killer deal. My dad has a metal fab shop so i have all the resources for fitting the pumpkin and the necessary attachment points to the body. It will be alot of work but i already know that.

Heres the rear end. My dad got it for a deal from a guy who was going to put it into a cobra kit car but didnt work out. Brand new coilovers and custom hubs that are very stout and beefy. The stock hubs are reliable but these new ones are great.

I havent measured the width of this rear end or the stock one so idk if i have to lengthen it or what yet. I dont know what ratio it has either but ill go out later today and figure it out.

Any thoughts? ha
Attached Thumbnails Jaguar IRS in fbody ??-dscn3442.jpg   Jaguar IRS in fbody ??-dscn3439.jpg   Jaguar IRS in fbody ??-dscn3437.jpg   Jaguar IRS in fbody ??-dscn3436.jpg  
Old 11-26-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It certainly would be a novel deal, but I think it would take quite a bit of fabrication, however.

Try doing a search on "Jay Cutshaw's IRS installation".....it might give you some ideas.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be pretty impressive if you could get it to work, there was a huge thread a while back about putting IRS in an fbody. If you have the time, skills, and money to get this to work it'd be pretty cool.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

why????????
Old 11-26-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
why????????
Solid is soooooooooooooooooooooo 60's or for trucks.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Well ever since i was a little kid I have always liked circuit racing. Now that i inherited my sisters camaro and driving that for a year i wanted to work towards a goal of it being a drag car. But after reading hours and hours of LS1tech, i have realized that my dream is somewhat expensive lol.

My budget for my LS1 rebuild is just enough for a cam, headers, and some other bolt ons. I also have this IRS laying in my dads shop so why not put it in? Yeah, a 4th gen camaro isnt exactly a preferred car for handling but i think it would be a fun project. Even if the outcome does only produce a moderate corner carver, i will be happy.

And why dont i just go buy a 240sx? bmw 3series? rx8? hmm idk, maybe cause i wont get **** for a shell 95 z28 camaro and a stock ls1 lol. But if anyone would be willing to donate me a shell of the previous mentioned vehicles, pm me
Old 11-26-2010, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
It certainly would be a novel deal, but I think it would take quite a bit of fabrication, however.

Try doing a search on "Jay Cutshaw's IRS installation".....it might give you some ideas.
Thats a sweet write up. But it seems like the OPs comments and pictures have been deleted?
Old 11-26-2010, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Solid is soooooooooooooooooooooo 60's or for trucks.
You are sooooooooooooooo right. Live axles should just be put in museums and forgotten about...
Old 11-27-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 95CamaroLS1
Thats a sweet write up. But it seems like the OPs comments and pictures have been deleted?
try this link....

http://www.zeuscatalog.com/jay_cutshaw_s_irs_swap

(When I posted the link, the entire link got underlined, however there's an "underscore" between jay,cutshaw,s,irs, and swap that doesn't appear too clearly)
Old 11-27-2010, 05:59 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Zues car is based on the C4 rear end, but it's a good starting point. Where the Jag rear differs is that it is only located by the horizontal control arms, and the vette has a longitudinal set of trailing links as well. The zues guys were able to make it a "bolt-in" affair due to the vette design. But since your dad is a fabricator by trade, I say go for it. If the rear end is too wide, just have him fab some custom links and get custom axles made. While the axles aren't cheap, they certainly are not overly expensive. Same goes for the driveshaft...not to bad $$ wise. I think it'll make for a great project and those Jag rears have been known to handle quite exceptionally. G/L and keep us updated!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

The jaguar irs at its widest was 61 3/4" in the late model jags, the 4th gen rear is about 64 3/4" wide. The jag rear apparently doesn't adjust poorly to track changes if you widen or narrow it, that's not the case with the c4, c5, and c6. With that kind of discrepancy in track width you could make it up with wheel adapters, or changes to the backspacing of your wheels. The jag hubs are also a chevy bolt pattern.

One headache that comes to mind is the fuel tank, the mounts for the jag rear may be a problem and the tank may have to be replaced with a fuel cell in another location.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

There are three 4th gens, and three third gens that I know of running around with IRS's under them. Four of them are available for viewing to varying degrees online. All of them used c4 components though.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 95CamaroLS1
What do you guys think about putting a Jaguar independent rear suspension in an fbody? I dont have the funding to make this car a bad *** high HP drag car, so i want to make it corner friendly .

I already have a rebuilt Jag IRS that i have been trying to sell forever but no one seems to want a killer deal. My dad has a metal fab shop so i have all the resources for fitting the pumpkin and the necessary attachment points to the body. It will be alot of work but i already know that.

Heres the rear end. My dad got it for a deal from a guy who was going to put it into a cobra kit car but didnt work out. Brand new coilovers and custom hubs that are very stout and beefy. The stock hubs are reliable but these new ones are great.

I havent measured the width of this rear end or the stock one so idk if i have to lengthen it or what yet. I dont know what ratio it has either but ill go out later today and figure it out.

Any thoughts? ha
Before doing something drastic like hacking up your chassis have you done any basic suspension work on the car? Good performance aftermarket shocks(like konis) will make a night and day difference in handling, stability, control and ride quality. And to further improve handling the right springs and swaybars make worlds of difference as well.
You certainly don't "need" IRS to handle well in these cars, and the suspension mods above will make more of a difference in handling than just throwing IRS on the car with shitty stock shocks and mismatching suspension.
Check out this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDxe1lHIxuE
Simple bolt on suspension parts (konis, Strano springs, Strano swaybars, Watts link are the marjor ones) and sticky tires. Passes a Porsche GT3 near the end too.
More vids:
http://www.youtube.com/user/KnightWS.../0/6hfpmBhSDWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weWQHijkSU8
Old 11-28-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Before doing something drastic like hacking up your chassis have you done any basic suspension work on the car? Good performance aftermarket shocks(like konis) will make a night and day difference in handling, stability, control and ride quality. And to further improve handling the right springs and swaybars make worlds of difference as well.
You certainly don't "need" IRS to handle well in these cars, and the suspension mods above will make more of a difference in handling than just throwing IRS on the car with shitty stock shocks and mismatching suspension.

On a truly smooth surface, no, IRS isn't "head and shoulders" over a solid rear. However, on most public roads, at least the ones in my area, an IRS rides SO much better, and accomodated bumps in the corners with far less hassle. And in the case of the Jag unit the OP pictured, the brakes are solidly mounted inboard, so unsprung weight is greatly reduced.

Quick Reply: Jaguar IRS in fbody ??