Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

installed strano/koni 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed strano/koni 4x4

I installed this amazing setup two weeks ago and love it. I installed it according to what Sam told me over the phone. I did four turns to soft on front and 1/2 on back. The stance is beautiful but the ride is pretty rough. I know I don't drive a Mercedes but I would like it a little softer till I make it my track only car. Any suggestions on whether I should wait another week or two to let the ride settle or do you think two weeks is enough? also I have an annoying squeak coming from there rear around the spring. I know I installed the rubber piece on to of the spring so I'm assuming its just body flex. Will a umi sub frame connector solve that problem?

On a different topic. If your thinking of ordering this setup I highly recommend it from Sam Strano himself. He helped me with the installation and answered any questions I had with his product. Thanks Sam for making it an enjoyable install.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of wheels do you have? Low profile tires from 18"+ wheels really make the ride much harder thats what she said. I have mine on 1 sweep from full hard, and I need to back it off a bit. Might do that tomorrow actually. Glad you like the setup though, I love mine. It will break in a bit over the next year or two, especially within the first couple weeks. Keep us updated.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Vassago, what's your tire pressure set at front And rear?
Old 11-27-2010, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

I have the stock 16's on right now. I have low pro 19's waiting to go on but it rides rough as it is now. The tire pressure is set to 30psi front and 28psi rear.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Have you called Sam and talked to him about it? I would ask him before I would ask a bunch of people that don't know what they are talking about on the internet.

Just my .02

I wasn't happy with the way my car acted and Sam helped me dial in the rear shocks and its fantastic now.

The car will ride a little rougher/firmer. That's just part of the game.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

No but its the weekend and Sam won't be in till Monday. And this site its where I got all my info on the setup before I even talked to Sam. There are some very knowledgeable people on here. I planned on talking to Sam after hearing what the community had to say. Thanks
Old 11-28-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah give it a few days to settle, maybe even a week or two. Keep in mind that those 19s may make it ride a bit firmer. I know that my tires have very very hard sidewalls, so my ride quality is that of a skateboard. Handling is fantastic, but I certainly won't be drinking lattes while going for a drive. I think you'll like it.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My fronts were set similar to yours (4 sweeps from full firm), I tried firmer and softer but ended back in the middle. Try putting the rears at full soft (worked for me).
This is obviously not the setup for people who want a Cadillac ride. It is much firmer then stock but handles the road irregularities much better. I hear some who didn't like the setup and I wonder if they even tried to adjust it or just didn't give enough time to acclimate themselves to it. I tend to prefer the overall performance over the ride characteristics so my current settings are 4 sweeps from full firm in front, and one half turn from full soft in the rear.
The nice thing is there is no right or wrong setup just do what works for you.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

I love the ride on the highway. Feeling the road irregularities but not jarring the vehicle but in town the car rides hard. I have given it two almost three weeks to settle in so they should be where they are going to stay. Ill give sam a call monday but i might try going softer on the rear. And with the UMI thanksgiving sale I guess it couldnt hurt to buy those subframe connectors and panhard bar. Tighten everything up a little more.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by qwikz28
Yeah give it a few days to settle, maybe even a week or two. Keep in mind that those 19s may make it ride a bit firmer. I know that my tires have very very hard sidewalls, so my ride quality is that of a skateboard. Handling is fantastic, but I certainly won't be drinking lattes while going for a drive. I think you'll like it.
Yeah The 19's will ride harder but im still running the stock 16's. I am going to try and change the settings and lower the air pressure after chatting with sam on monday. Thanks
Old 11-28-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vassago
I installed this amazing setup two weeks ago and love it. I installed it according to what Sam told me over the phone. I did four turns to soft on front and 1/2 on back. The stance is beautiful but the ride is pretty rough. I know I don't drive a Mercedes but I would like it a little softer till I make it my track only car. Any suggestions on whether I should wait another week or two to let the ride settle or do you think two weeks is enough?
As people have said the ride will get better over some time (maybe a few hundred miles or so). And you have adjustable suspension now, so don't be afraid to use it. Try different settings (and don't be afraid to turn the rebound up, less doesn't always mean a better ride).

also I have an annoying squeak coming from there rear around the spring. I know I installed the rubber piece on to of the spring so I'm assuming its just body flex. Will a umi sub frame connector solve that problem?
Its more than likely a bushing or something rubbing, i highly doubt you will feel chassis flex, none the less hear it. SFC's won't hurt but don't get high expectations, I put a set of 3 points on and noticed no difference at all, I don't believe these chassis flex anywhere near as much and some people like to think (or try and make money off of it).
Old 11-28-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Try going softer up front 2 sweeps, and backing off the rear 1/4 turn. BTW, your tire pressure is good at 30psi.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

These shocks also seem to require some break in time before they ride nicer. After a couple hundred miles on mine (stock springs BTW) the impact harshness decreased significantly.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
These shocks also seem to require some break in time before they ride nicer. After a couple hundred miles on mine (stock springs BTW) the impact harshness decreased significantly.
Ok Thanks. I dropped the air pressure to 28.5 on all fours and it made a huge difference. Rides softer it seems like. Its snowing now so looks like ill put it in the garage and make some minor tweaks and adjustments after talking to sam tommorow.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vassago
Ok Thanks. I dropped the air pressure to 28.5 on all fours and it made a huge difference. Rides softer it seems like. Its snowing now so looks like ill put it in the garage and make some minor tweaks and adjustments after talking to sam tommorow.
The cold weather is affecting your perception of the ride quality and the Konis/any shock performance - especially during the "break in" period.

Most shocks are stiffer when the weather is below freezing. Just like how engine oil is thicker upon cold start up.

Sam will probably say something similar when he returns your call/responds in this thread.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

16's and you don't like it? Is it cold where you are? That might also contribute to the shocks riding a little rougher. If your roads are pretty bad, nothing will really make it feel that comfortable. It's definitely NOT a Merdeces we are driving. Maybe you could try to play with the settings a little. I think the combo rides awesome and I'm a pretty picky person when it comes to cars and ride quality.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SteelCityYaga
The cold weather is affecting your perception of the ride quality and the Konis/any shock performance - especially during the "break in" period.

Most shocks are stiffer when the weather is below freezing. Just like how engine oil is thicker upon cold start up.

Sam will probably say something similar when he returns your call/responds in this thread.
I agree with this guy. Cold weather really stiffens it up.

Quick Reply: installed strano/koni 4x4