Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein HD or SLP shocks - what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein HD or SLP shocks - what to expect?

I'm thinking about ordering a set of Bilstein HD or the SLP shocks from Strano. I was wondering what I can expect from them. Car mods are in sig, but suspension is bone stock with stock shocks right now. Any ideas? Are they worth it?
Old 12-02-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was speaking with him the other day, and I believe he said both shocks are essentially the same. I'm sure he will pop in to help you out though, if all else fails, just give him a call. He is a great guy to talk with, really wish there were more people like him in the business.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people running them seem to be pretty happy with their performance. Good shocks really transform the way these cars ride/handle. They also really improve the high speed stability and even make the cars feel a lot more rigid from the proper dampening. The only thing is tho, if you're looking to lower your car eventually you may want to think about upgrading to the Koni's, but if you're using stock springs I think you'll like them. Just so you know, I've never run them, but if they're anything close to the Koni's (on stock springs also for now) then they belong on the car, lol.

Anyways, definitely give Strano a call though and go over exactly what you're looking for out of them, he seems to recommend these a lot if you're not prepared to spend the money on Koni's.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

I don't plan on lowering it at all. This is kind of a budget thing. Also, I don't plan to do any road course racing at all (stupid #$%* A4 trans ) so I'm just looking at something that will make it handle a bit better. Are they easy to install?
Old 12-02-2010, 03:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

What to expect? Not much... Better rebound damping (not as disconnected and floaty feeling). Better ride (much less impact harshness), and better stability (car won't wander around as much, and the rear will not get nearly as upset by bumps).

All in all, it'll drive much more it should for a stock car. Nothing, NOTHING will get worse, it'll feel much more composed and easier to drive quickly. Really there is no downside to better shocks.....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Installation isn't bad. The rears are pretty simple, and while the front's aren't "hard" they are kind of a PITA to do - you need a spring compressor (or a shop to do it for you).

Check out https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...all-video.html. It was made by a member on here, and it definitely helps. For compressing the spring, for the same price as the compressor a local shop just transfered the springs on the new shocks and fought through the rusted on nut instead of me having to do it, lol. I think there also might be a few discrepencies between the Koni's and the Bilstein's for the installation, but if you buy from Strano I'm sure he'll tell you everything you need to know.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The front is a pain, especially if there is a bit of rust and you don't have air tools. With air tools it is better. One thing to keep in mind is that if you can find one that is willing, take it to a shop and have them switch out the shock itself with one of their spring compressors. The ones you borrow from parts stores are pretty crappy.

I don't think there is much of a difference in installation between the two shocks. Koni comes with two nuts for the back instead of a nylock nut... The overall main steps are really the same.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've just heard that some of the included parts differ (I think you have to reuse the lower perch with the Bilstein's or something?) but yeah, the main installation steps are the same.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've had Bilsteins on my '88 for 8 years and I'm just now replacing the struts. They do improve handling quite a bit, but it is a firmer ride than stock. I have lowering springs and all suspension parts are tubular steel, so I'm sure that's why it's a little harsh at times.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
What to expect? Not much... Better rebound damping (not as disconnected and floaty feeling). Better ride (much less impact harshness), and better stability (car won't wander around as much, and the rear will not get nearly as upset by bumps).
Let me rephrase what Sam says ... especially if your stock shocks have a lot of miles on them, expect a night and day improvement in ride comfort and a considerable improvement in handling. The difference is HUGE.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A set of Strano's sway bars will help to.

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD or SLP shocks - what to expect?