Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spring/shock install

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spring/shock install

I did a search, but didn't come up with anything because the search has been retarded for a couple years now. Is there a write up on how to do this? Do I really NEED a spring compressor? The reason I ask is because I spoke to a friend who has done this and he said he didn't use a compressor all the times he has done this.

Last edited by SSmokin99; 12-19-2010 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you will need the compressor for the fronts, not the rears. Im not sure where the write up is, but its not all the complicated.

for the rears, just raise up the rear of the car, put jackstands on the rear frame and let the rear end drop down. move the jack back under the rear and jack it up just enough so that the shock bolts attaching it to the rear are straight.

unbolt the shock there, let the rear drop again, and the spring will pull out.

move back the rear carpet behind the rear seat, and unbolt the nut to the top of the shock.

the fronts are a little more tricky, but do require the compressor. check gmhtp.com for articles on it. had to have been done in those mags about 50 times by now.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ls1howto.com has a writeup with pictures.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:33 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

you cannot do the fronts without a spring compressor. period.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you putting both new shocks and springs on? Save yourself a lot of headache if the shocks and springs are stock and take them to a suspension place to take off the rusted *** top nut. Trust me... money well spent I wish I would have did it.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I took the front shock assembly into a shop and they swapped springs onto the new shocks for $20....they were even fighting the nut for about 20 minutes on each side and still charged that price. Definitely worth $20 to me to not have to get a spring compressor and fight the nut and swap things around!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by djfury05
Are you putting both new shocks and springs on? Save yourself a lot of headache if the shocks and springs are stock and take them to a suspension place to take off the rusted *** top nut. Trust me... money well spent I wish I would have did it.
Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
I took the front shock assembly into a shop and they swapped springs onto the new shocks for $20....they were even fighting the nut for about 20 minutes on each side and still charged that price. Definitely worth $20 to me to not have to get a spring compressor and fight the nut and swap things around!
Thanks for the replies everyone! Right now I just have stock shocks and Eibach Prokit springs. I was going to swap to new springs/shocks.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Trunion King

Save up for the shocks. Your SS will ride like crap w/ stock shocks and Eibach springs.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

I just got the bilstein hd's and strano springs and I love it.. cheap shocks at $370 a set that perform very well
Old 12-14-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bene
Save up for the shocks. Your SS will ride like crap w/ stock shocks and Eibach springs.
No, right now on my car is Eibach springs with stock shocks! I just got NEW springs/shocks that are sitting in my room.
Originally Posted by djfury05
I just got the bilstein hd's and strano springs and I love it.. cheap shocks at $370 a set that perform very well
Nice...
Old 12-14-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
I did a search, but didn't come up with anything because the search has been retarded for a couple years now. Is there a write up on how to do this? Do I really NEED a spring compressor? The reason I ask is because I spoke to a friend who has done this and he said he didn't use a compressor all the times he has done this.
If he ended up compressing the springs by tightening the top nut, I've heard that's not recommended to put all that force on the shock shaft threads.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...all-video.html
^Helps out a lot even if you aren't getting the Stranos or Koni Shocks.

Oh and for the top of the shocks, both front and rear with spinning shafts, what I did was find the wrench that fits the nuts and use a pair of vice grips to hold the shaft.

It didn't take too long.....

Last edited by SteelCityYaga; 12-14-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: forgot the n and the t...LoL
Old 12-14-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteelCityYaga
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...all-video.html
^Helps out a lot even if you aren't getting the Stranos or Koni Shocks.

Oh and for the top of the shocks, both front and rear with spinning shafts, what I did was find the wrench that fits the nuts and use a pair of vice grips to hold the shaft.

It didn't take too long.....
Wow, thanks a lot man!!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Default spring install

Originally Posted by pjb
you cannot do the fronts without a spring compressor. period.
I disagree. I installed my koni/bmr with out a spring compressor. Well one side. I think I was able to acomplish this because of rust. I had the strut assembly out, threw a tire and wheel over top while putting pressure on it. Impact wrench the nut off and released my weight off the tire and the upper mount did nothing. I ended up throwing the strut into the woods and when it hit a tree the pressure broke the rust free. Installation was very hard but it went in with out the compressor. The other side I ended up getting a compressor because the nut was siezed and would not come off so I had to cut and wasnt messing around with cutting on a shock with loaded springs. Recommendation Goto autozone and rent a spring compressor!!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

harbor freight has them for $10...
http://www.harborfreight.com/macpher...-set-3980.html

can be a pain in the ***, but i wouldn't take any chances. i imagine those front springs could kill you if you're not careful.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Launching!

please use a spring compressor they are under a lot of load, you can also damage the motor mounts if they are stuck on the old shaft and the spring pushes up tearing the rubber, stupid rust sucks, cut the old shock out and pound on the old shaft with a punch and mallet, much easier then trying to cut the dam nut.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by southernculture
I disagree. I installed my koni/bmr with out a spring compressor. Well one side. I think I was able to acomplish this because of rust. I had the strut assembly out, threw a tire and wheel over top while putting pressure on it. Impact wrench the nut off and released my weight off the tire and the upper mount did nothing. I ended up throwing the strut into the woods and when it hit a tree the pressure broke the rust free. Installation was very hard but it went in with out the compressor. The other side I ended up getting a compressor because the nut was siezed and would not come off so I had to cut and wasnt messing around with cutting on a shock with loaded springs. Recommendation Goto autozone and rent a spring compressor!!!!!!!!
I agree. Go to Autozone and rent one. It's free for Christ' sake. All you do is put a deposit down and you get it back. It makes no sense to do it without a compressor if you are going to do it yourself. I've changed and/or pulled out my springs and shock multiple times (I lost count after 4 or 5) If you're not sure what to do, I would take it to local machine shop and have them put the springs and shocks together for like $20. It's money well spent. If you are gonna do it yourself, get the FREE compressor at Autozone. Makes life so much easier and makes the job go faster for sure. Beside, a compressed spring coming off and hitting you in the head can kill you. Seriously, it can literally kill you. It makes no sense to not get a compressor since they are free to rent.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by southernculture

I guess some people are so proud of their stupidity that they have to post examples of it. The spring compressors are available for free use, as posted above, so not doing it the right way is just plain retarded. Otherwise, stand back (far back) when fools are at work.

Most people that do the reassembly without the spring compessor don't get the top nut fully tightened down. They end up with a clunking noise from the front end and get to take it apart and do it again. So, I stand behind my original statement - you can't do it without a spring compressor. Unless someone else wants to display their stupidity.
Imagine him looking it over, trying to figure out why it won't come apart before he "threw it in the woods". If it had decided to break free while he was looking at it, it could have smashed his face.

Last edited by pjb; 12-17-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

I installed stranos on my stock shocks. I recommend getting the bilsteins at least. The rust on the factory shocks where the nut is sucks! I had to cut the nut off. It would have been way easier for me to just buy a set of new shocks with the springs. Now I gotta do the install again which i'm not looking forward to.

Oh, it's not a hard job. just a few bolts here and there. Really no need to look up installation instructions.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

I guess people who don't use spring compressors to compress the springs want there ***** in there throat!!!! If your to damn lazy to do the job using the right tools than maybe you shouldn't do it.......

Quick Reply: Spring/shock install