Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How much of a difference if any from a 1" to 1 5/16" rear swaybar?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 05:50 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How much of a difference if any from a 1" to 1 5/16" rear swaybar?

Im trying to decide whether to get the 1" (25mm) rear sway bar or the 1 5/16". The smaller one is $142 as opposed to the bigger one at $365! Both units are constructed of chromoly steel. The actually bars themselves look the same, but one is a bit bigger. The big difference between the 2 besides the $223 difference is that the drag series comes with spherichal rod ended adjustable endlinks. Are they going to make that big of a difference? See...this was my plan...I was just going to get the next step down, which is the 1" bar and then kick the Hal in the passenger side up one notch and voila! Im sure even the 1" bar is better than a stock one. Is the drag series really worth the money? I definately want to upgrade my stock bar, but I just cant see paying that kind of money for one. Let me know what you think, thanks a lot.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:30 PM
9 Second Club NA

Anyone have suggestions, opinions, thoughts, etc.?
Old 02-09-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is a drag only car, the 1 5/8 ths will work to keep your launches straight. If the car is "very fast" you may need this. If it launches straight as it is, I'd not bother to chagne it. That large rear bar has the potential to make the car very dangerous on the street (the tail will want to come around on a fast corner).

The 1 5/8 bar is about 10 times as stiff as a 1" bar (I didn't to the exact math, but on an average size bar, the change from 1" to 1 1/8 can be 30%).

Be careful!
Old 02-09-2004, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you drive on the street at all, both bars are going to be dangerous. If you have a combo street driven/drag car, then you should look at getting a 22mm bar max and just get some HALs for the rear. The chance of the rear coming loose on the street even with a 25mm bar is extremely high. I just put on the G2 21.5 mm bar and it is much stiffer than the stock 19mm that these cars come with. Make sure of what type of driving you do before you buy a new rear sway.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am running a 25mm rear bar on my car with no problems, but I'm running alot of other parts with that bar to work as a package.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:08 PM
9 Second Club NA

Wow...I didnt think that a rear swaybar could make such a difference! I was just about to ask more about this for a last minute decision! I will be placing my order tomorrow and I was wondering which rear swaybar to get. I only drive the car on the weekends, and when I do, its just cruising. So no high speeds, fast corners, etc.! The only racing it sees is at the strip. I wanted to jump on the Spohn sale because all my pieces were from him and I wanted to know if I should even consider getting a rear swaybar and if so which one? I had no idea that a beefier rear swaybar can make the tail end go crazy, but then again, I wont be taking any fast corners. Also, my car isnt necessarily a race car or going 9s or 10s, but should I consider the drag bar for a 11 second car? I dont plan to stop on the mods, so maybe I can get into the 10s with heads and then will see from there. I just dont want to overdo it or underdo it. Spohn has a 22mm, 25mm, and the 1 5/16. The 1 5/16 has adjustable endlinks with spherical roded ends. Is that necessary? As I stated before, I have the rest of his pieces, (LCAs, PHB, TA, etc.) and Im running Hals and ET Streets. What would you do or what do you suggest I do? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NVMySS
Wow...I didnt think that a rear swaybar could make such a difference! I was just about to ask more about this for a last minute decision! I will be placing my order tomorrow and I was wondering which rear swaybar to get. I only drive the car on the weekends, and when I do, its just cruising. So no high speeds, fast corners, etc.! The only racing it sees is at the strip. I wanted to jump on the Spohn sale because all my pieces were from him and I wanted to know if I should even consider getting a rear swaybar and if so which one? I had no idea that a beefier rear swaybar can make the tail end go crazy, but then again, I wont be taking any fast corners. Also, my car isnt necessarily a race car or going 9s or 10s, but should I consider the drag bar for a 11 second car? I dont plan to stop on the mods, so maybe I can get into the 10s with heads and then will see from there. I just dont want to overdo it or underdo it. Spohn has a 22mm, 25mm, and the 1 5/16. The 1 5/16 has adjustable endlinks with spherical roded ends. Is that necessary? As I stated before, I have the rest of his pieces, (LCAs, PHB, TA, etc.) and Im running Hals and ET Streets. What would you do or what do you suggest I do? Thanks.
If it launches straight, I'd skip the bar. Remember, "He who dies with the most parts isn't always the winner". Buying parts "to complete a set" or "just because" rarely leads to good performance.

For example. I don't drag race and never "leave" above 2000 rpm, so I don't need a dual disk clutch or a spec stage 5, etc. It would be overkill for my situation and I'd be spending money "just to spend it".

YOu may not need that bar either. If the car leaves hard and straight, I'd consider that a success and leave it alone. Only you can decide....

Have fun!
Old 02-09-2004, 11:15 PM
9 Second Club NA

Nice thoughts...I never looked at it in that perspective! I just assumed that I needed one because mine was so thin. I figured why not upgrade it, it couldnt hurt, plus since there was a sale, I was going to jump on it because there was only 1 item left that I was lacking besides the sub-frame connectors. Oh...the car is just about done, so I have no idea if it leaves straight or crooked! LOL I figured that I needed it because why would my car be any different from anyone elses if theyre all built the same. I know there is small variations, but I doubt that its going to be that big of a difference. I have Hals and I plan to kick it up a notch or 2 in the right rear tire if the car launches crooked because that helps. I just didnt know if I really needed the adjustable spherical rod ended endlinks. It says theyre for preloading the suspension for those crooked launches. Wouldnt the shocks be enough and if not, install an airbag? Im sure the airbag would totally eliminate it because I hear thats what everyone uses for a cure.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'd try an airbag and skip the bar for now. If you "need it", there will be another sale soon (there always is).

My thoughts.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I figured that I needed it because why would my car be any different from anyone elses if theyre all built the same. I know there is small variations, but I doubt that its going to be that big of a difference.
Once you start to modify them, they are all different. My car (with a road race suspension) will launch much different than yours. It may not hook, but I bet it will go straight.....Your car will be much different than mine. It really is on a "car by car" basis.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:12 PM
9 Second Club NA

There has only been 1 Spohn sale since he has became a sponsor, and the only reason why there is another, is because another sponsor is doing the sale. The reason Spohn himself had a sale was because he had just became a sponsor. I may not need it, but I rather buy one now and get it all over with so I dont kick myself in the butt later for not buying it. Its only 1 piece Im lacking, if I dont need it, then I could always sell it later. I just wanted opinions on which one I should get. Either way, I will be purchasing one. Honestly, I dont really wanna spend $360 on a rear drag bar, but if makes that big of a difference, then I guess I could. As I stated before, he offers a 22mm, 25mm, and a 1 5/16" bar. Besides the thicknesses between the 3, the drag bar has the adjustable spherical rod ended endlinks. Are those really neccesary and do they make that big of a difference? Either way I go, its going to make a difference, but its coming down to whether or not spending the extra $230 is going to make that big of a difference. The 22mm and 25mm bars are only $142 vs. the $360 drag bar. So what do you think? Thanks so far for the help.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

There has only been 1 Spohn sale since he has became a sponsor, and the only reason why there is another, is because another sponsor is doing the sale. The reason Spohn himself had a sale was because he had just became a sponsor. I may not need it, but I rather buy one now and get it all over with so I dont kick myself in the butt later for not buying it. Its only 1 piece Im lacking, if I dont need it, then I could always sell it later. I just wanted opinions on which one I should get. Either way, I will be purchasing one. Honestly, I dont really wanna spend $360 on a rear drag bar, but if makes that big of a difference, then I guess I could. As I stated before, he offers a 22mm, 25mm, and a 1 5/16" bar. Besides the thicknesses between the 3, the drag bar has the adjustable spherical rod ended endlinks. Are those really neccesary and do they make that big of a difference? Either way I go, its going to make a difference, but its coming down to whether or not spending the extra $230 is going to make that big of a difference. The 22mm and 25mm bars are only $142 vs. the $360 drag bar. So what do you think? Thanks so far for the help.
Hmm...

We're back to the "how much does it need?" question. The size bar required will be an individual basis. It will depend on shocks, tires, grip, HP, launch (how hard, how straight), etc. I'm not sure I can tell you what you need exactly.

The drag bar is a heavy duty, purpose built piece that I would consider to be relavant to 10 second cars and not much else (but it depends on the car). A car that is running an airbag will probably need much less bar than one that is not using an airbag. A car with very underdamped shocks will possibly need slightly more rear bar to launch straight. I car with soft rear springs will need more bar than a car with stiffer springs (the stiffer springs resist the axle "twisting up under the car" which can cause problems with launching the car). So, we are back to many variables that depend on several other variables. I suspect the 1" is a good place to start (it still can make the car a little or alot tail happy in corners, be careful), but only your chassis can tell you what it needs.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

NVMySS
it sounds like you wish we would tell you that huge bar is worth the extra money just for you to justify buying it. In good faith nobody want's to tell you that. As a new F-body man I can say my BMR street bar upgrade is noticably stiffer yet not obnoxious. I could see how that huge bar would be too much except flat out racing as described already. In 69-72 A body cars I tried a huge rear bar once and it hurt the driveability of the car. A matched front/rear bar combo a step up from factory is usually your best bet for the buck. Also the money you save buying the smaller bar now let's you buy something else to go fast. And that cool huge bar will always be there if later your car tells you it needs one. Good Luck.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chief455
NVMySS
it sounds like you wish we would tell you that huge bar is worth the extra money just for you to justify buying it. In good faith nobody want's to tell you that. As a new F-body man I can say my BMR street bar upgrade is noticably stiffer yet not obnoxious. I could see how that huge bar would be too much except flat out racing as described already. In 69-72 A body cars I tried a huge rear bar once and it hurt the driveability of the car. A matched front/rear bar combo a step up from factory is usually your best bet for the buck. Also the money you save buying the smaller bar now let's you buy something else to go fast. And that cool huge bar will always be there if later your car tells you it needs one. Good Luck.

Well put. That is what I was trying to say (and not very well, I guess).

Have fun!
Old 02-11-2004, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well...I hope that Ive made the right decision because I ordered the 1" bar. Its not the smallest one they offer, but its not the biggest either. That way since I went with the middle one, I will know whether or not to go bigger, smaller, or stay the same. I hope that I get good results with this bar. As Ive stated before, I dont do any auto-x, high speed cornering, street racing, etc., so hopefully I dont run into the rear end getting out of control. Im doing this upgrade to help my launches at the strip, even though I never knew if it launched straight or not. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

"Im doing this upgrade to help my launches at the strip, even though I never knew if it launched straight or not. "

I think you made a wise choice for your driving needs.
Since you want help with launches and don't really pound corners I think the small bar would not have really help launch - but would have helped you pound corners! The huge bar I think is 99 percent overkill and is for bragging. I'm sure some 8 second guys wouldswear by one, but for dual purpose cars middle of the road is a good starting point. Be sure to let us know how it feels and good luck!
Old 02-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

I would get sub frames before anything else. I think you said you didnt have them and that was the first mod I did.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:46 AM
9 Second Club NA

I had sub-frame connectors on the car, but I cut them off because they weighed 20 lbs. each!!! I made them out of square steel tubing! Worst mistake! But now Im going with a set of tubular chromly sub-frame connectors.

Quick Reply: How much of a difference if any from a 1" to 1 5/16" rear swaybar?