Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni Shocks: My supply chain--the how and why of it all.... and a note about springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ What the...? Wow, just wow haha!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

This **** is getting so ******* old.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam, like they say " walk a mile in my shoes." I've been in the parts business for over 20yrs, automotive first & Harley for the last 12. People come and ask for advice and complain when it's not what they wanted to hear. It's good to ask ?"s but when I spoke with you awhile back and you didn't tell me what I wanted to hear,but what I needed to hear. I know where I will be spending my $ when it's time.
Harleydude
Old 12-31-2010, 12:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I try to do the right thing, but sometimes folks make it hard. Happened today in fact. Spent over an hour on the phone with a guy (and his brother) and he wants to buy this here, and that there (and has the nerve to tell me this) because he can save a few bucks. Nevermind that my prices are right in ballpark with the rest of the world, and that those other places offered NO advice, no help, let alone took the time to talk to his brother to make him feel more comfortable. Frustrating, and not very respectful.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-31-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

^^Why is it disrespectful? Maybe the guy is getting the best prices to make to whole thing affordable. I work hard for my money, I will make the best use of it as I can. You give good advice but dont expect and believe that people will buy your product only based on that. Offer a better price than the competition and then you will truly have the best package around. You talk like you expect every single people on this board to buy from you, do you even hear yourself? Its not only talk the talk is walk the walk too, my friend.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

^ Well, let's see...I can imagine the frustration of talking to an "interested" customer for a long time, investing time with them, only to be undercut by a competitor by a few bucks who offers comparatively less first hand knowledge, and less knowledgable cust. service, and spends less time explaining the different setups/products etc. This is even more frustrating when the guy had no intention of purchasing from you, just using you for info 'cause you always pick up the phone...Just the cost of doing business in some peoples' eyes, I guess. Personally, I go back to the business that treated me best. Usually, the prices are close. You know, Wal Mart has good prices but having to go to the return line due to poor sales advice...
Old 12-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Sam does provide good service, that is why people rave about him. However, it's the buyer's right to get as much info and the best price as possible. Sam is in a tough business, but I'm sure it has to have its reward or he wouldn't be doing it.

I remember a thread where the author didn't think the difference was night and day (New Koni's v. 20K-ish decarbons), so before I pull the trigger on Koni's, I'll use every avenue to make my decision.

Good luck Sam.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter2002
^ Well, let's see...I can imagine the frustration of talking to an "interested" customer for a long time, investing time with them, only to be undercut by a competitor by a few bucks who offers comparatively less first hand knowledge, and less knowledgable cust. service, and spends less time explaining the different setups/products etc. This is even more frustrating when the guy had no intention of purchasing from you, just using you for info 'cause you always pick up the phone...
Been there, had that happen...I used to sell tires, on a part time basis. A "friend of a friend" called me up one day, said he needed HD tires for a pick-up truck, that he used for his camper. Talked to me for over an hour, two times, picking my brain, said he needed tires by the weekend, etc. Since he was the "FOF" I was as polite as possible, gave him a good price, even got the local wholesaler to order in a set, cause after all, he "needed them by the weekend"....

A week goes by, I hear nothing. Turned out he bought some "no-name specials", for about $40 less, and complained to our mutual friend, that my prices weren't all that good....when I priced him out at top shelf, 8 ply GoodYears!!!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chaman
^^Why is it disrespectful? Maybe the guy is getting the best prices to make to whole thing affordable. I work hard for my money, I will make the best use of it as I can. You give good advice but dont expect and believe that people will buy your product only based on that. Offer a better price than the competition and then you will truly have the best package around. You talk like you expect every single people on this board to buy from you, do you even hear yourself? Its not only talk the talk is walk the walk too, my friend.
enjoying that hard earned money while you have it, because of morons like you we will all be speaking chinese in a few years and working for pennies.

"offer a better price" do you even know how businesses work? at all? Sam isn't buying 1,000 sets of shocks and selling them at small profit like most websites with huge warehouses.

Unlike those websites, when you call Sam, YOU GET SAM, someone with knowledge, experience, etc. who can point you in the right direction.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ec_nova
enjoying that hard earned money while you have it, because of morons like you we will all be speaking chinese in a few years and working for pennies.

"offer a better price" do you even know how businesses work? at all? Sam isn't buying 1,000 sets of shocks and selling them at small profit like most websites with huge warehouses.

Unlike those websites, when you call Sam, YOU GET SAM, someone with knowledge, experience, etc. who can point you in the right direction.

Really? You are just another pathetic cheerleader who gets all bent out of shape when a FACT is put forward. People appreciate good advice and all that stuff but most make the decision based on price. Calling me names will not change what I said as the truth. Most buy on price, give the best price on the same item, the customer is yours.

Speaking Chinese? Really? Did I said to buy outside the US? Please quote me on that, because it looks to me that you are the moron since I never said that. Go to your cheerleading ways, you are doing a good job, brainless fanatics always do.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Really? You are just another pathetic cheerleader who gets all bent out of shape when a FACT is put forward. People appreciate good advice and all that stuff but most make the decision based on price. Calling me names will not change what I said as the truth. Most buy on price, give the best price on the same item, the customer is yours.

Speaking Chinese? Really? Did I said to buy outside the US? Please quote me on that, because it looks to me that you are the moron since I never said that. Go to your cheerleading ways, you are doing a good job, brainless fanatics always do.
because it's people like you who want the lowest price possible, so everything gets outsourced, hence (some of) our economic problems. quite pathetic that I have to draw that one out for you.

and actually A LOT people will gladly pay a few dollars more for good advice and expertise, not everyone is a cheap ***....
Old 01-02-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ec_nova
because it's people like you who want the lowest price possible, so everything gets outsourced, hence (some of) our economic problems. quite pathetic that I have to draw that one out for you.

and actually A LOT people will gladly pay a few dollars more for good advice and expertise, not everyone is a cheap ***....
Cheap ***? **** you and your assumptions. Take a look at my car and tell me Im a cheap ***. Stop kissing so much butt, son.

A LOT of people is not the majority, try that one again. I look for the best product at the best price possible, live with it. This little cheerleading act of yours is getting quite ridiculous. Advice is not all, its important but you can not expect this to be the only variable. People want the best price also.

Let me tell you this, I bought my suspension from another sponsor (guys from BMR) and they were attentive, answered all my questions, delivered fast and have a great product. Also are from the good old USA. With that said go print your absurd posts and shove them up your ***...
Old 01-02-2011, 11:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

im looking forward to buying strano springs as well. I alot of stuff planned for my 2001 ws-6 and strano springs are at the top of the list im liking the slp billstiens as well.

my goal is to make my ws-6 handle but also allow for a descent launch at the strip, thats why im looking into his adjustable rear swaybar but im still a few months out on buying. not until my highly modified vette sells probably
Old 01-03-2011, 11:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Cheap ***? **** you and your assumptions. Take a look at my car and tell me Im a cheap ***. Stop kissing so much butt, son.

A LOT of people is not the majority, try that one again. I look for the best product at the best price possible, live with it. This little cheerleading act of yours is getting quite ridiculous. Advice is not all, its important but you can not expect this to be the only variable. People want the best price also.

Let me tell you this, I bought my suspension from another sponsor (guys from BMR) and they were attentive, answered all my questions, delivered fast and have a great product. Also are from the good old USA. With that said go print your absurd posts and shove them up your ***...
Well, here we go.... I put up a statement to explain my position, and now I'm defending myself in my own thread.

First if you are happy with BMR, good for you. Second, if you aren't my customer and have no intention on ever being a customer, then what are you doing in here? I mean if you don't care to understand my reasoning then you must be trolling for trouble.

I view customer service as more than being nice to you. In fact sometimes it takes brutal honesty to keep folks from making a mistake. But in the end, a lot of the parts that they sell are recent pick-ups (things they never had before, but all of a sudden picked up, presumably because they saw others *cough, cough*, me selling them. And other parts that have drastically, and suddenly changed after years of their lip-service about how the PREVIOUS versions were "the best".

Frankly I don't really want customers that closed minded.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Sam, even if you had the absolute lowest prices anywhere, people would still complain!
Some people just can't handle you giving them a brutally honest answer, so they lash out at you.

IMO, for all the people with bruised egos, just move on, and make better/constructive use of your time!

Thanks, and have a optimist day!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Well, here we go.... I put up a statement to explain my position, and now I'm defending myself in my own thread.

First if you are happy with BMR, good for you. Second, if you aren't my customer and have no intention on ever being a customer, then what are you doing in here? I mean if you don't care to understand my reasoning then you must be trolling for trouble.

I view customer service as more than being nice to you. In fact sometimes it takes brutal honesty to keep folks from making a mistake. But in the end, a lot of the parts that they sell are recent pick-ups (things they never had before, but all of a sudden picked up, presumably because they saw others *cough, cough*, me selling them. And other parts that have drastically, and suddenly changed after years of their lip-service about how the PREVIOUS versions were "the best".

Frankly I don't really want customers that closed minded.

I don't think he attacked you Sam, so you shouldn't be defending anything. Threads should have more than one side, you being the OP have stated your side. Chaman was just stating a pretty obvious point and his side.

Next time just put in your thread title "cheerleading only," that might keep unwanted posts out.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Wow.... This thread was started to set straight some things that "another vendor" said regarding Koni supply that implied that somehow I sell an inferior product. I was seeking to explain my side, and why I feel I do a superior job, and all the reasons I do what I do.

What's really funny, in a sad way, is all the folks screaming about "Sam's fanboi's" don't seem to realize that they are clearly doing the same things with regards to some other companies by stamping around in say, threads like this. I could have posted this information in the thread that started it, but I tried to respect that thread's owner, and felt I needed to set the record straight. And, here we go again.

If you don't like me, that's ok. I'm not out to please everyone, just those that want a good supplier who does a good job. Variety makes the world go 'round. I'm blunt, and that pisses some folks off. Ok. And I will post what I'm thinking, because--I can. And I'm not going to be trampled on because I have to say might not be popular.

And for what it's worth, this wasn't meant to be a "cheerleading" thread. If folks want to say they're happy, GREAT and I thank them for it. However, if you read the first post, the one that you know, started, the thread--you'll see I was explaining somethings, that's all.

Why that would cause chaman to come in do his thing, I just don't know.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

So some of the guys here expect Sam to do the best possible tech and customer service and still sell cheaper than some warehouse where they only know the part number?

Cant/will not be done. If you want to able to call up and get a real person that not only knows whats going, but is very talented at it, thats not free, and it is certainly not cheaper. Period.

Want the cheapest price possible, thats fine, we all have budgets. If you want to be treated with respect, get solid tech help and a pleasurable experience buying quality parts, then you call up people like Sam or myself.

I'm sure Sam will agree, we will never be the cheapest, but we certainly try to be the best.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good point. cheap ricer axis wheels and stick-on interior goodies... you clearly aren't a cheapass
Old 01-03-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok everyone please take a step back from the keyboard and breath. Sam, as a paying sponsor, has every right to post how he sources his products. What's wrong with that? He didn't attack, flame, or call anybody out. So before posting further, please take a minute and think "would I really say this to someone's face?" If not, then please don't post it.

Thank you

Quick Reply: Koni Shocks: My supply chain--the how and why of it all.... and a note about springs