Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Power Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Issue

I have an 02 SS and for some reason, the power steering fluid continuosly spills out the top(yes the fluid level is correct). I even went as far as running the level a little low to see if that would have an effect, but it didnt. You can see the top of the resevoir is wet. The pump begins to make the classic groaning sound. I am not sure if all SS models have the P.S. cooler, but this one does so am I correct in thinking it cant be an overheating issue? Could there be an issue with the pump itself? If Im not mistaken, the cap has a vent hole in it to relieve excess pressure, right? I was thinking pressure may be the issue, but with a relief hole in the cap, it cant be that. I have even tried 3 different caps. I did notice one of the lines has been repaired using the same union used to bypass the throttle body heater. Could there be an issue with that union causing a restriction in the system, thus causing excess system pressure? I am willing to entertain any theory. Thank you and Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't laugh ...

Go to your local Walgreen's and buy a $.99 package of hair scrunchies. Stretch 1 or 2 over the filler and replace the cap.

The scrunchie helps force teh gasket to seal.

It won't stop it, but it will slow it down.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

But what's causing the fluid to come out? I want to be able to fix the issue.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure.

Best guess would be expansion due to heat and the very small volume in the reservoir. I have an LT1, si it already has a remote reservoir.

But I replaced the factory plastic with a larger aluminum tank. It still hasn't stopped, but it's reduced considerably.

It really won't make a difference in the puking, but do you use a good fluid? A decent fluid like Redline will at least save the seals of the pump.

The only eal fix is to replace the pump with a re-valved one from some place like PSC Motorsports. Many use Turn One and I currently have a TO pump on my race car. But, PSC has worked with us and we've changed the valving even more to reduce flow rate at high RPM.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

time to go manual rack.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by drone
time to go manual rack.
That would do it but there is something causing this to occur. I know A LOT of people who have converted their original 1st gen, teardrop style ps pumps for the the new style like we have and they don't have this issue. I have this same pump on 1 of my other cars and it doesn't do this either. It's something with this car.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have power steering fluid all over the bottom of my kmember. Im just gonna get rid of it all.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

I have power steering fluid all over the bottom of my kmember. Im just gonna get rid of it all.
Get rid of what? The power steering system? Y? There is something causing this. 2 of my other vehicles have the same pump and don't experience this.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah Im just gonna get rid of the pump and the whole steering rack and put a manual rack in with a tubular k-member. I dont know where its leaking from. Ive heard our power steering systems are prone to leaking.

Then ill get an electric water pump and just run the alternator on the belt.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 CamaroSS
Get rid of what? The power steering system? Y? There is something causing this. 2 of my other vehicles have the same pump and don't experience this.
Do you have a factory power steering cooler?

If so, the coolant system could be pushing pressure into the power steering system...and pressurizing it way more than it should be. Do you see any little bubbles in the ps fluid...or is it a different color now?

That factory ps fluid cooler is complete crap...and it DOES NOT cool the ps fluid...it heats it up.

get rid of it if you have one and put an aftermarket cooler on. Its literally a 15 minute job and costs about $40.00.

Here's where I put mine...now the cooler only gets warm to the touch...unlike the factory piece of crap cooler...which will give you 3rd degree burns if you touch it.
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Issue-dsc01789.jpg   Power Steering Issue-dsc01787.jpg  
Old 12-28-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didnt even know it had a cooler. More stuff to get rid of. Yay!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Banned

Well, this is what it looks like.

Very simple to do.

Hose from the rack goes into that cooler, the other goes back and connects to the bottom of the reservoir.

Put small vice grips on those two hoses going to that cooler.
Cut them both with a razor.
Take that cooler off and throw it in the garbage where it belongs.
Connect those two ends to the new cooler and strap it to the frame.
Top off with fluid.
Replace the upper radiator hose with a complete "one piece" rubber hose.
Done.

Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Issue-dsc01665.jpg  
Old 12-28-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

ewwwww thats a cooler. haha. looks like ill need a new radiator hose if I ditch the power steering
Old 12-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Banned

ewwwww thats a cooler. haha. looks like ill need a new radiator hose if I ditch the power steering
You could just cap off the two ports on the ps cooler if you're taking the ps pump out.

But the new hose is only like $20.00 or so.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

The system vents at the cap. They all do it. Every GM car that I'ved owned has done it. Some more then others.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
Do you have a factory power steering cooler?

If so, the coolant system could be pushing pressure into the power steering system...and pressurizing it way more than it should be. Do you see any little bubbles in the ps fluid...or is it a different color now?

That factory ps fluid cooler is complete crap...and it DOES NOT cool the ps fluid...it heats it up.

get rid of it if you have one and put an aftermarket cooler on. Its literally a 15 minute job and costs about $40.00.

Here's where I put mine...now the cooler only gets warm to the touch...unlike the factory piece of crap cooler...which will give you 3rd degree burns if you touch it.
thats all good if your in florida but have you heard the PS whine at 5*F
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
thats all good if your in florida but have you heard the PS whine at 5*F
Many up north people have done what I did.....they all work great. The fluid is still gonna get hot enough not to whine.