Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New rotors, now pads??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New rotors, now pads??

I bought a set of drilled/slotted rotors last year and I'm finally ready to put them on. My question is what kind of pads should I go with? I just called autozone, and they had some cheap pads that I could get for the whole car for about 50$.

Here is the thing.. The car isn't a corner carving machine and never will be. Would it be a mistake going with the cheapest pads I can find? Lifetime warranty comes with them but I don't want my rotor to get ate up quickly either..
Old 01-01-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got myself Hawks pads from ws6store.com. Im sure they cost alot more then what you were quoted by Autozone. They may have lifetime warranty, but will they last long?

Personally, i wouldnt go cheap for something that involves "safety" like brake pads do. Especially if your modding the car, i would want some good braking.

What rotors did you get by the way?
Old 01-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Hawk pads for the front only is about $75. I would get that since the price difference once you amortize over its useful life is immaterial.

My opinion in regards to brakes: Get a good quality pads and rotors, since you never know when you're gonna need them.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Badguy7
I got myself Hawks pads from ws6store.com. Im sure they cost alot more then what you were quoted by Autozone. They may have lifetime warranty, but will they last long?

Personally, i wouldnt go cheap for something that involves "safety" like brake pads do. Especially if your modding the car, i would want some good braking.

What rotors did you get by the way?

I have looked at hawk pads but didn't really know if they were worth it. The rotors are from onlinerotors.com. I ordered them so long ago I forgot which ones they were.. lol
Old 01-01-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't go cheap. The Hawk pads, or a quality pad, are worth it.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my car with some cheap replacement pads on it. Driving along one day a guy in front of me slammed on his brakes and I had to stop quickly. Next time I hit the brakes I heard an awful metal on metal sound. The rear pad had sheared off of the metal plate it's supposed to be riveted to. All 7 pads were starting to "peel" or I suppose "warp" off of their backing plates. I don't know how, as they sit on a flat rotor, but it happened.

I replaced them with autozone "gold" ceramics because I needed a quick replacement, slapped em on the same rotors (didn't turn or anything) and they've been great. I planned on using them for just very temporary here and there driving but they're great for daily driving and whatnot. over 100mph they don't do a whole lot but I've been happy with them for autox and everything.

Summary: cheapest pads possible may suck and fail, autozone Gold pads are decent and cheapish
Old 01-03-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Here is what I think. When one day you really need to stop but the brakes fade, you will wish you had not gone with cheap pads.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

with "cheep" pad you may get a lot of brake dust on your wheels, and may get brake noise, ,if I were going with " parts house " pads ,I suggest "wagner thermal quite" mayby 50-60.00 per end of car,if you use afull ciramic pad it mat eat up your new rotators,
I like OE pads, GM made them to run on the stock camero at 150-160 mph, my OE lasted 60 k miles WITH NO DUST OR NOISE, if I remenber correctly OE cost me about 100.per end( but it has been several years)
just my $0.02
Johnny

Last edited by SS SLP2; 01-03-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went with the best ones Auto Zone carries for the front and the cheapest for the rear.
No problems here.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
with "cheep" pad you may get a lot of brake dust on your wheels, and may get brake noise, ,if I were going with " parts house " pads ,I suggest "wagner thermal quite" mayby 50-60.00 per end of car,if you use afull ciramic pad it mat eat up your new rotators, I like OE pads, GM made them to run on the stock camero at 150-160 mph, my OE lasted 60 k miles WITH NO DUST OR NOISE, if I remenber correctly OE cost me about 100.per end( but it has been several years)
just my $0.02
Johnny
Aren't Hawk pads full ceramic??
Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
with "cheep" pad you may get a lot of brake dust on your wheels, and may get brake noise, ,if I were going with " parts house " pads ,I suggest "wagner thermal quite" mayby 50-60.00 per end of car,if you use afull ciramic pad it mat eat up your new rotators,
I like OE pads, GM made them to run on the stock camero at 150-160 mph, my OE lasted 60 k miles WITH NO DUST OR NOISE, if I remenber correctly OE cost me about 100.per end( but it has been several years)
just my $0.02
Johnny
Dude, come on. It's like misspelling the word sex in a **** site.

jk...
Old 01-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Aren't Hawk pads full ceramic??
No sir!

I bought Hawk HPS for $70 (front only), the rear I just use whatever mid-line pads vatozone has.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard a lot of people really like the duralast cmax ceramic pads from autozone. When it's time for new brakes on my car I'm going to give them a try.

Quick Reply: New rotors, now pads??