Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

poly/poly vs poly rod- panhard and lca's

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default poly/poly vs poly rod- panhard and lca's

I'm looking to purchase both a panhard bar and LCA's in the near future. I was wondering what would be better for a daily driven WS6 that see's some track action. I want the most that I can get outta these, both in traction and stability. Also I don't care about a lil more harshness in ride. So what I'm wondering is what the difference in performance that these combo's would offer. Meaning between the poly/poly vs poly/rod end on either the pandhard and/or LCA's. Thanks Guys
Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

poly-poly ends will bind the suspension more than the factory rubber bushings do. I'd suggest at least a set of the poly-rod type if you are looking for performance. We have had very good results with our double rod ended setups on street cars and very little noise. reason is we use a higher quality rod end than most of the other manufacturers do. cheap ends=noise. give us a call and we can further discuss your needs. we manufacture all our suspension parts in house and can set you up with whatever combo you need, and at the best prices you will find.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

If you don't mind a chance of a slightly harsher ride than the poly/rod end combo would be a good choice. The poly/rod end design is a good compromise, the polyurethane bushings bolt to the chassis of the car while the rod ends attach to the rear end of the car. The polyurethane bushings are designed to absorb road noise before entering the passenger compartment while the rod ends act as a sold bushing and allow articulation in the suspension.

This set up will be fine for street use and great at the track, the rod end offers no deflection for track use.

UMI as well uses high quality rod ends made from chromoly, chrome plated with a self lubricating Teflon lining. This keeps the rod ends from becoming as noisy as less expensive ends.

If I could help anymore please ask. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 01-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Banned

I would go with the poly/poly set up. A person with a DD car will be annoyed at the "clunk"ing sound the poly/rod makes.

<<<--- 611 RWHP and UMI PHB and LCAs both poly/poly combo.

We have one set of 2018s along with other LCAs here

You can visit our site at www.BYUNSPEED.com in the GM > 1998-2002 F-BODY section.

And we have some overstock here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ities-o_o.html

Last edited by COSPEED; 01-29-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 155 Posts

I disagree with the above statement. A person with a daily driver, should stay with stock control arms, and if the replacement is necessary, rubber bushings. They will ride better, than either poly or rod ends, and will not make noise.

Poly is a poor choice for a handling application. It binds the suspension, whether you're picking up groceries, or burning up the road course stay away from it.

Since it was stated you don't care about more ride harshness, check what your classing will be, and then decide whether you want rod ends.

FWIW, as far as I'm aware, Sam Strano uses rubber bushings in his car.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
You're correct, Sam does. However I am assuming when the poster was talking "track" he was referring to drag racing. I could be wrong but that was my automatic assumption.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 155 Posts

I was referring to the comments made by the BYUNSPEED vendor. In my personal opinion, anything other than a dedicated drag race car where a poly/poly combo is used is not a good choice. To each their own.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Banned

I'm assuming he meant occasional drag racing too and answered appropiately considering the OPs subject was poly/poly vs poly/rod nothing mentioning stock rubber bushings but still good input for the OP to hear.

FYI our car is not a dedicated drag race car. To be honest it hardly sees any track time PERIOD. It's a DD car running on 91 octane on street tires and passes emissions.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Not just rubber bushings, but rubber bushings in the stock LCA's I believe. A good/cheap upgrade for these cars is just to replace the stock bushings with the 1LE type bushings in the stock LCA. It seems to be a good compromise between performance/articulation/road manners....plus I think you can get all of the bushings for around $60
Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

There are some very good opinions on here... just to clear something up, I meant "track- as in drag strip." I do drive my car everyday... but a lil more aggressive then others. some noise and additional harshness is ok... but nothing excessive. Thanks for the opinions guys

Quick Reply: poly/poly vs poly rod- panhard and lca's