Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bleeding brakes on ABS/TCS car

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if hptuners can activate the solenoids like the tech 2?
Old 05-06-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
Does anyone know if hptuners can activate the solenoids like the tech 2?
No it cannot....

As an update to my mushy brake pedal feel. i hand pumped it with a mity-vac and my pedal is back to firm again
Old 05-06-2011, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have a Tech2 for the local guys
When I replaced my ABS block that was the only way I could bleed the brakes correctly.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I looked for the tech2 tool, its ridiculously expensive, upwards of 1k. Does anyone know any place where we could get them cheaper? Sponsors care to chime in?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

When I push my brake pedal down real fast the pedal gets hard and I can feel the wheels brake at separate times. It's not good at 130mph.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Im waiting for my new rotors and pads. I cant just bleed them at caliper and be done?
Old 06-30-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I have a Tech2 for the local guys
When I replaced my ABS block that was the only way I could bleed the brakes correctly.
Does the Tech2 automate cycling of the eight solenoids in the EBCM or does it make you manually select and cycle each one individually.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I tried this using an OTC Genisys scantool...

it allows you to cycle each of the eight solenoids individually... but it doesn't tell in what sequence you have to do this... does anyone know the answer...?
Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

Some scanners can scan ABS, like this one (<$240 online), but I don't believe it can cycle the solenoids:

http://autoxray.com/product_detail.php?pid=136

Originally Posted by safemode
I think it's funny how they charge a massive amount for a simple procedure that needlessly requires proprietary hardware and on top of that feels the need to charge you for the 10 dollars of brake fluid. I wonder how they got around the rules for standard car diagnostics and repair with the ABS. This is something that any OBD2 tool should be able to do but obviously can't. BS.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-30-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Straight from the horse's mouth (GM):

Document ID# 751464
2002 Chevrolet Camaro
Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding Manual

Notice

When adding fluid to the brake master cylinder reservoir, use only Delco Supreme 11®, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. The use of any type of fluid other than the recommended type of brake fluid, may cause contamination which could result in damage to the internal rubber seals and/or rubber linings of hydraulic brake system components.

Notice

Avoid spilling brake fluid onto painted surfaces, electrical connections, wiring, or cables. Brake fluid will damage painted surfaces and cause corrosion to electrical components. If any brake fluid comes in contact with painted surfaces, immediately flush the area with water. If any brake fluid comes in contact with electrical connections, wiring, or cables, use a clean shop cloth to wipe away the fluid.

Place a clean shop cloth beneath the brake master cylinder to prevent brake fluid spills.
With the ignition OFF and the brakes cool, apply the brakes 3-5 times, or until the brake pedal effort increases significantly, in order to deplete the brake booster power reserve.
If you have performed a brake master cylinder bench bleeding on this vehicle, or if you disconnected the brake pipes from the master cylinder, you must perform the following steps:
Ensure that the brake master cylinder reservoir is full to the maximum-fill level. If necessary, add Delco Supreme 11®, GM U.S. P/N 12377967, GM Canada P/N 992667, or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
If removal of the reservoir cap and diaphragm is necessary, clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the cap prior to removal.
With the rear brake pipe installed securely to the master cylinder, loosen and separate the front brake pipe from the front port of the brake master cylinder.
Allow a small amount of brake fluid to gravity bleed from the open port of the master cylinder.
Reconnect the brake pipe to the master cylinder port and tighten securely.
Have an assistant slowly depress the brake pedal fully and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.
Loosen the same brake pipe to purge air from the open port of the master cylinder.
Tighten the brake pipe, then have the assistant slowly release the brake pedal.
Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 3.3-3.7 until all air is purged from the same port of the master cylinder.
With the front brake pipe installed securely to the master cylinder - after all air has been purged from the front port of the master cylinder - loosen and separate the rear brake pipe from the master cylinder, then repeat steps 3.3-3.8.
After completing the final master cylinder port bleeding procedure, ensure that both of the brake pipe-to-master cylinder fittings are properly tightened.
Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with Delco Supreme 11®, GM U.S. P/N 12377967, GM Canada P/N 992667, or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. Ensure that the brake master cylinder reservoir remains at least half-full during this bleeding procedure. Add fluid as needed to maintain the proper level.
Clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the reservoir cap prior to removing the cap and diaphragm.
Install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve.
Submerge the open end of the transparent hose into a transparent container partially filled with Delco Supreme 11®, GM U.S. P/N 12377967, GM Canada P/N 992667, or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
Have an assistant slowly depress the brake pedal fully and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.
Loosen the bleeder valve to purge air from the wheel hydraulic circuit.
Tighten the bleeder valve, then have the assistant slowly release the brake pedal.
Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 8-10 until all air is purged from the same wheel hydraulic circuit.
With the right rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely - after all air has been purged from the right rear hydraulic circuit - install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT REAR, without traction control, or the LEFT FRONT, with traction control, wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 7-11.
With the left rear, without traction control, or the left front, with traction control, wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely - after all air has been purged from the left rear, without traction control, or the left front, with traction control, hydraulic circuit - install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT FRONT, without traction control, or the LEFT REAR, with traction control, wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 7-11.
With the right front, without traction control, or the left rear, with traction control, wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely - after all air has been purged from the right front, without traction control, or the left rear, with traction control, hydraulic circuit - install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT FRONT, without traction control, or the RIGHT FRONT, with traction control, wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
After completing the final wheel hydraulic circuit bleeding procedure, ensure that each of the 4 wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valves are properly tightened.
Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the maximum-fill level with Delco Supreme 11®, GM U.S. P/N 12377967, GM Canada P/N 992667, or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
Slowly depress and release the brake pedal. Observe the feel of the brake pedal.
If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the bleeding procedure again. If the brake pedal still feels spongy after repeating the bleeding procedure, perform the following steps:
Inspect the brake system for external leaks. Refer to Brake System External Leak Inspection .
Pressure bleed the hydraulic brake system in order to purge any air that may still be trapped in the system.
Turn the ignition key ON, with the engine OFF. Check to see if the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated.

Important

DO NOT allow the vehicle to be driven until it is diagnosed and repaired.

If the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated, refer to Symptoms - Hydraulic Brakes .
Document ID# 751464
2002 Chevrolet Camaro
Old 07-01-2011, 03:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

That document does not address bleeding the EBCM module's internal hydraulic circuits/solenoids.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Requires the Tech 2, it appears:

Document ID# 775040
2002 Chevrolet Camaro
ABS Automated Bleed Procedure

Bleeding the ABS System

Perform a manual or pressure bleeding procedure. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding in Hydraulic Brakes. If the desired brake pedal height results are not achieved, perform the automated bleed procedure below.

The procedure cycles the system valves and runs the pump in order to purge the air from the secondary circuits normally closed off during normal base brake operation and bleeding. The automated bleed procedure is recommended when air ingestion is suspected in the secondary circuits, or when the BPMV has been replaced.

Automated Bleed Procedure

Notice

The Auto Bleed Procedure may be terminated at any time during the process by pressing the EXIT button. No further Scan Tool prompts pertaining to the Auto Bleed procedure will be given. After exiting the bleed procedure, relieve bleed pressure and disconnect bleed equipment per manufacturers instructions. Failure to properly relieve pressure may result in spilled brake fluid causing damage to components and painted surfaces.

Raise the vehicle on a suitable support. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove all four tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
Inspect the brake system for leaks and visual damage. Refer to Brake Fluid Loss or Symptoms - Hydraulic Brakes in Hydraulic Brakes. Repair or replace as needed.
Inspect the battery state of charge. Refer to Battery Inspection/Test in Engine Electrical.
Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
With the scan tool, establish communications with the EBCM. Select Special Functions. Select Automated Bleed from the Special Functions menu.
Bleed the base brake system. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding in Hydraulic Brakes.
Follow the scan tool directions until the desired brake pedal height is achieved.
If the bleed procedure is aborted, a malfunction exists. Perform the following steps before resuming the bleed procedure:
If a DTC is detected, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List and diagnose the appropriate DTC.
If the brake pedal feels spongy, perform the conventional brake bleed procedure again. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding in Hydraulic Brakes.
When the desired pedal height is achieved, press the brake pedal in order to inspect for firmness.
Remove the scan tool.
Install the tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
Inspect the brake fluid level. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling in Hydraulic Brakes.
Road test the vehicle while inspecting that the pedal remains high and firm.
Document ID# 775040
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Originally Posted by joecar
That document does not address bleeding the EBCM module's internal hydraulic circuits/solenoids.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So to make sure I've got this right, on a TCS car, 1) Right rear 2) Left Front 3) Left Rear 4) Right Front?

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Requires the Tech 2, it appears:

Document ID# 775040
2002 Chevrolet Camaro
ABS Automated Bleed Procedure

Bleeding the ABS System

Perform a manual or pressure bleeding procedure. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding in Hydraulic Brakes. If the desired brake pedal height results are not achieved, perform the automated bleed procedure below.
This seems like they CAN do a manual bleed and if it doesn't suffice THEN use the Tech II?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

^ GM Service Information lists three bleeding processes for the 4th Gen, in addition to the ABS Automated Bleed Procedure (posted above):

Hydraulic Brakes

1. Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding Manual (posted above)
2. Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding Pressure
3. Master Cylinder Bench Bleeding
Old 07-01-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776

With the scan tool, establish communications with the EBCM. Select Special Functions. Select Automated Bleed from the Special Functions menu.
Bleed the base brake system. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding in Hydraulic Brakes.
Follow the scan tool directions until the desired brake pedal height is achieved.

It doesn't give any specific details, it simply says follow the prompts.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Hey guys, I know this thread is old as hell, but can anyone confirm that spinning the wheel while the car is on or in the IGN position will fire the ABS and send fluid? My 03 silverado has no fluid going to the rears. Brake line blew so I replaced them all.

Bled the master, got good fluid going out of the prop valve both front and rear. Haven't checked the ABS yet because those connections are so close to one another. Fronts are solid and have a good stream when opening the bleeder, but I have absolutely nothing going to the rears. I'm assuming it's an ABS issue at this point and really dont' want to take it to the dealership... Any advice?

Thanks
Jim
Old 11-21-2013, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was the one who posted that method. I do not know if it will work on your 03 Silverado. Have you tried it?
Have you tried to bleed at the master and see if you can get fluid from the rear line?
Originally Posted by borrone821
Hey guys, I know this thread is old as hell, but can anyone confirm that spinning the wheel while the car is on or in the IGN position will fire the ABS and send fluid? My 03 silverado has no fluid going to the rears. Brake line blew so I replaced them all.

Bled the master, got good fluid going out of the prop valve both front and rear. Haven't checked the ABS yet because those connections are so close to one another. Fronts are solid and have a good stream when opening the bleeder, but I have absolutely nothing going to the rears. I'm assuming it's an ABS issue at this point and really dont' want to take it to the dealership... Any advice?

Thanks
Jim
Old 11-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yeah, have the truck on 4 jacks all the way around; Got good flow out of both front and rear out of prop valve. I tried spinning all 4 tires while the wife depressed the brake. Tried this with both the car on and off. Still no fluid going to the rears. This absolutely sucks but I think it's time to take it to the dealership, because I'm not paying for a tech ii.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Alright, like an idiot, I took it to the dealership.. they're telling me they can't fix it and I need to by a new BPMV. Can anyone explain how these go bad and how to check if it's any good?
Old 11-22-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldn't listen to the dealer, they are probably lying to your face. i also wouldn't listen to those bums over at gmfs

Quick Reply: Bleeding brakes on ABS/TCS car