Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

replacing ls1 brake hardlines

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Good call on the nickle plated copper. I'll give it a try, just wanted to make sure there were no pre-bent kits already out to save time.

Well, I stand corrected, classic tube does make kit for your car, in SS and regular steel, so I guess it depends on if your lines all need replacing or do just want to add line lock and delete ABS.. If you need to do lines, but still want to delete ABS etc then SS can be a mother to flair and cut.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by biketopia
Good luck, just bend up your own lines. I highly doubt anyone makes a replacement line kit that will have the "extras" you want. Get a roll of nickle plated copper line(bends and flairs soooo much easier than SS put lasts and holds off corrosion like ss) and a good flair tool and take your time. I deleted my ABS and added roll control on my 95 pretty simply, and so did 01ssreda4 and he's got a good write up on here, his is also 4ch. The mastercool flair tool I have will do 45* and metric bubble flair as well.
Yeah stainless line is wicked to bend/flare. F that nonsense.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this pop up in my subscribed alerts.

Just want to throw it out there that when I had to deal with doing brake/fuel lines, both major companies (Classic Tube and the other one I forgot but has a very similar name) both got the bend design wrong. I had to fight with the custom SS fuel lines multiple times back and forth to get a set that was even close, and even then it wasn't what I would call "perfect" and required a lot of forcing and cussing to get close.

Do not discard your existing lines (Those lines are the only way you can have a custom shop fabricate new ones if you need to go that route.) and keep ALL fittings until the new ones are fit to the vehicle and tested. Pay attention to EVERY mount point and bolt you remove, because if you lose one or screw up which goes where and ties to what heat shield you'll regret it.

This is coming from someone who felt the unnecessary pain of dealing with this job and the lack of OEM lines being available anymore. It wasn't fun at all. Don't even bother with trying to bend them yourself. I bought a $300 kit to flare and bend and after trying three or four times and wasting tons of nickel line I gave up. These newer cars are just too complicated with very little tolerance. My two cents.

OH, and one more thing: Don't even bother with standard steel lines. If yours rotted out once, they'll do it again. Just go SS (or if a custom shop will bend Nickel Copper) and forget the rest.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Thanks for all the input everyone. So basically what is needed is to have one of those companies pre-bend me a kit made of nickel copper, so that when I go to delete the ABS and TC and hook up my line lock, I can bend it and flare it as needed, and most of it will be routed correctly right out of the box.

I'm off to read this great post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...bs-delete.html
Old 08-25-2017, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Thanks for all the input everyone. So basically what is needed is to have one of those companies pre-bend me a kit made of nickel copper, so that when I go to delete the ABS and TC and hook up my line lock, I can bend it and flare it as needed, and most of it will be routed correctly right out of the box.

I'm off to read this great post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...bs-delete.html

That will work, I'd just be wary of the price, isn't it close to 300 for the SS set but not much cheaper for plain steel? You can get a 25 foot roll of nickle copper line from the parts store for under 50 bucks, probably cheaper online plus a few fittings, just keep all your old ones. If you have the time and ability to make flairs and bend line you should be able to do it yourself for less. Now I totally understand bending line is an art, and some simple tools like a line straightener and small hand held pliers type bender come in handy. My brother is a wiz at line bending so I had him do my lines, but with some patience and time you can make it look just as good and then you don't have to dick with the lines going to where the ABS was, you can make them exactly how they need to be from the word go. These are the two tools my brother keeps at his ready when doing lines for the custom cars he builds.
Amazon Amazon

http://www.eastwood.com/brakequip-3-...ng-pliers.html
Old 10-09-2017, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ABS Deletion.Here are some picts of my recent Steve SJM Manufacturing http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/index.html kit install with stock lines and motor in car.
Attached Thumbnails replacing ls1 brake hardlines-camaro-2002-ss-abs-delete-sjm-081017-img_6263-1-.jpg   replacing ls1 brake hardlines-camaro-2002-ss-abs-delete-sjm-081017-img_6264.jpg   replacing ls1 brake hardlines-camaro-2002-ss-abs-delete-sjm-081017-img_6265.jpg   replacing ls1 brake hardlines-camaro-2002-ss-abs-delete-sjm-081017-img_6266.jpg   replacing ls1 brake hardlines-camaro-2002-ss-abs-delete-sjm-081017-img_6267.jpg  

Last edited by Vexzer; 10-09-2017 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: replacing ls1 brake hardlines