Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Road Atlanta HP Driving Event Setup Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Road Atlanta HP Driving Event Setup Questions?

I've done a great deal of reading in this section over the past few days, however I'm still just not getting it so please forgive my "handling" ignorance.

My mod choices up to this point have been directed almost exclusively to straight line acceleration. The motor runs like a beast and when that isn't enough I have another 150 from the bottle.

Here's my issue. Going to be doing a one-day high-performance driving event at Road Atlanta with friends later this year and I have no clue where to start.

I don't want to get crazy and drop a couple grand on major suspension mods, however I would like to cover the basics so my car can:

1. Withstand the demands of the event

2. Actually perform relatively well at the event.

In current form, it's loose with the handling and the brakes are NOT ready for high-speed deceleration. I already have welded-in subframe connectors. Planning to keep the stock brake kit, however will likely use a track pad for that day and then upgrade to the Hawks pads for street use. I was also considering a set of anti-roll bars to sharpen up the handling.

Outside of those mods, can you guys think of any "must haves" for the car to make it through a tough day at the track? As for the rubber, I have fresh Nitto tires on C6 wheels (drag radials on the rear) -- I presume that I'm leaving a little on the table by not having a "handling" tire but I imagine these should still be OK.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-16-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shocks , sways , springs if you dont mind lowering , and an adjç phb .. maybe some bushings ? these should sharpen up the handling of your car quite well ..
I dont know much about the best handling tires , so I wont comment on that ..
Old 03-16-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight02
I've done a great deal of reading in this section over the past few days, however I'm still just not getting it so please forgive my "handling" ignorance.

My mod choices up to this point have been directed almost exclusively to straight line acceleration. The motor runs like a beast and when that isn't enough I have another 150 from the bottle.

Here's my issue. Going to be doing a one-day high-performance driving event at Road Atlanta with friends later this year and I have no clue where to start.
Also search the road race section and Frrax.com (you need to register to view everything though).

I don't want to get crazy and drop a couple grand on major suspension mods, however I would like to cover the basics so my car can:

1. Withstand the demands of the event
Make sure you check/change fluids as needed, and make sure everything will pass inspection for the track (like everything is tied down good, for example the battery is secured).
Good brake pads and rotors (preferably blank rotors) will also greatly help.
If you want, a better seat that will hold you in more. My stock TA seat had me sliding around when I auto-x, its definitely a distraction.

2. Actually perform relatively well at the event.

In current form, it's loose with the handling and the brakes are NOT ready for high-speed deceleration. I already have welded-in subframe connectors. Planning to keep the stock brake kit, however will likely use a track pad for that day and then upgrade to the Hawks pads for street use. I was also considering a set of anti-roll bars to sharpen up the handling.
Good shocks are easily #1 on the list assuming nothing a broken or messed up with your suspension. These will make the biggest difference, and is basically the sole reason your car is "loose". Stay away from drag shocks like QA1s, Afco, Strange etc etc, you want a handling shock like Bilstiens or ideally Koni SA's. Do shocks above all else out of the mods.
You don't "need" springs unless you want, and of course they will aid in handling. You can go with a custom spring with custom rates, or something like Strano springs.
If you do swaybars make sure you get a balanced set, meaning ones not oversized compared to the other. A 32mm front bar goes good with a 19mm rear bar, and a 35mm front bar goes good with a 22mm rear bar - any bigger rear bar and expect oversteer.
If budget allows you could look into a watts link as well.

Outside of those mods, can you guys think of any "must haves" for the car to make it through a tough day at the track? As for the rubber, I have fresh Nitto tires on C6 wheels (drag radials on the rear) -- I presume that I'm leaving a little on the table by not having a "handling" tire but I imagine these should still be OK.

Any thoughts?
Drag radials generally have a softer sidewall which is what makes them less ideal for handling (they are too smushy). You may want to look into getting tires to match your fronts...
Old 03-16-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

First and foremost: have you ever driven on a road course in your car before? Have you ever driven on a road course in general?

If the answer to these is: NO.

Please do not worry about performing well at an HPDE event. HPDE is about learning your car, yourself, and the track; it is NOT a competition. That is where time trials and wheel to wheel racing comes in.

All you need (need is very subjective here), is a helmet, driver license, 1 quart extra on oil, make sure all your wheels are properly torqued, and a tank of gas. Good things to have: a good DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid, ATE is good and relatively inexpensive. A decent track pad (Carbotech, Hawk, or Wilwood...all 3 companies would love to talk to you and recommend you the correct pad for application), a better alignment, and fresh oil if you're close on your change.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Guys, thanks for the excellent recommendations.

SIK02SS -- thanks for putting it into perspective for me. Your thoughts align very closely to where I'm at -- never been on a road course so my primary objectives are to be safe and have fun learning my car and the course.

I should have all I "need" to go out there, however I am interested in fulfilling some of the "want" list before heading out there. Think I'm going with the recommendations above and pick up a set of handling shocks (haven't decided which ones yet) and a decent track pad.

Thanks again!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change engine oil to a good synthetic one quart over full.

Water wetter to radiator.

Synthetic power steering fluid. Rubber band a rag on top of the pump.

Good brake fluid, ate super blue is good.

Hawk dtc 30 on front , Hawk HP+ on the rear from tire rack.

I did all the research for you as my first track days are this weekend.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

I think the 555r drag radials on the rear will be ok. I use them in my spectator drags on the front and rear due to being a cheap option for a 315/35/17. They don't have the sidewall that a good performance tire does, but the sidewall is a lot better compared to an actual drag radial.

I would search for track day preparation threads and look for people who've had some sort of similar experience have to say way more than anyone else who puts in their 2 cents
Old 03-24-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, what SIK02SS said. You might consider upgrading the shocks though.

My best advice is to leave your pride at home and be ready to learn. These cars do well on a road coarse, if driven properly. My first time out, the instructor had me cornering faster than I thought the car could do. My brain was screaming to slow down and he was pushing me faster. Let them teach you.

I also have a warning. You might get addicted to this stuff. A weekend of HPDE is the most fun I have with my car.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I think the 555r drag radials on the rear will be ok. I use them in my spectator drags on the front and rear due to being a cheap option for a 315/35/17. They don't have the sidewall that a good performance tire does, but the sidewall is a lot better compared to an actual drag radial.
Drag radials are NOT OK to use on a road course. The sidewalls aren't stiff enough to handle the abuse.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Change engine oil to a good synthetic one quart over full.

Water wetter to radiator.

Synthetic power steering fluid. Rubber band a rag on top of the pump.

Good brake fluid, ate super blue is good.

Hawk dtc 30 on front , Hawk HP+ on the rear from tire rack.

I did all the research for you as my first track days are this weekend.
Thanks for the info -- just what I needed! I think I'll upgrade the shocks and then mirror your setup tips above. As for the pads, I'm planning to drive the car to the track -- about 70 - 80 miles each way.....will they be OK for the street driving or will I need to make the pad changes at the track?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Thanks for the info -- just what I needed! I think I'll upgrade the shocks and then mirror your setup tips above. As for the pads, I'm planning to drive the car to the track -- about 70 - 80 miles each way.....will they be OK for the street driving or will I need to make the pad changes at the track?

That pad setup works great on the street.

Go to the road racing section and look at my threads over there on what I learned at this past weekends event.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta HP Driving Event Setup Questions?