Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR SFC's loose LCA bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004 | 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Default BMR SFC's loose LCA bolt

I can't get the LCA SFC bolt to stay tight. I try to tighten it, but I can't crank on it too much and it just comes loose again. Any ideas? Does the suspension have to be loaded to tighten it? Can I get a mechanic to hit it with an airgun on the lift? I get this clunking noise from the rear and the car doesn't handle like it should.
Old 02-17-2004 | 05:49 PM
On The Tree

When I first had my SFC's installed they didn't torque the bolts down with the suspension loaded. Once I did that, the clunking went away.
Old 02-17-2004 | 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same with me. I did it with the rear wheels on ramps. It said to tighten to 90lbs/ft but I couldn't get my torque wrench to fit. I just tightened the hell out of them and no problems since!
Old 02-17-2004 | 06:06 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Julian
Does the suspension have to be loaded to tighten it?
- Yes.
Old 02-17-2004 | 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Use red Locktite on the threads. Here's a picture of a boxed end wrench I did, on the right is a crows foot wrench you can also use with a torque wrench.

Al

Last edited by DARK AGE 53; 02-17-2004 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-17-2004 | 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Julian
I can't get the LCA SFC bolt to stay tight. I try to tighten it, but I can't crank on it too much and it just comes loose again. Any ideas? Does the suspension have to be loaded to tighten it? Can I get a mechanic to hit it with an airgun on the lift? I get this clunking noise from the rear and the car doesn't handle like it should.
Ahh, someone finally posting the same problem I had with my KBDD SFCs. When I got those removed and the SLPs installed the shop fixed this clunking problem. Don't keep on overtightening the bolt, you'll just exacerbate the problem. What's probably happened is you've tweaked the LCA body bolt hole. You'll need to have a shop R+R the bolt hole (not sure of the cause, but the bolt hole wasn't completely flush, so they had to push out the portion that was pulled or distorted inward)
Old 02-18-2004 | 08:19 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the replies, they clunked from the moment I got on the highway after they were installed, they were never tightened properly I suppose. I'm gonna get the rear wheels up on some ramps and crank on it and see if that works. I think the bolts fine, I didn't have much room under the car to tighten it up and I could never tighten it real good.
Old 02-18-2004 | 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds even like the bolt might be stripped? If you tighten the nut and it gets loose again I bet it is.

I had torqued my LCA bolts at 90 ft/lbs once the SFC's were installed to avoid the clunk.

Quick Reply: BMR SFC's loose LCA bolt