Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

S60 is here ... Wanting to confirm Drag Sway, LCA, PHB & T/A decisions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 is here ... Wanting to confirm Drag Sway, LCA, PHB & T/A decisions

My new S60 came in and it is ready to be painted/coated ... a POR-15 order is on its way.

S60 Unpacked

S60 Mobile & Ready for Painting/Coating

I have chosen my rear suspension components, but I do not have the funds for trial and error since this is a budget build. This forum has some great information, suggestions and recommendations so I want to be sure I have made the right decisions. The car dyno'd 508 rwhp/497 rwt on a DynoJet with an M6 and 4.10's in the stock 10-bolt and the mods are in my signature. Also, note that this is primarily a strip car with limited street duty. I anticipate high 6's/10's with this car.

The suspension is currently stock except that UMI weld-in SFC's are on the way and will be installed this week. The S60 has 4.10's with a spool and weld-in adjustable LCA's. My track set-up will be slicks with skinnies ... 26" for the 660 and 28's for 1320. Although not yet mounted on the car, my street set-up are chrome ZR-1's with 555's ... 275's/315's on 9.5's/11's.

It seems that the "big three" (UMI, BMR & Spohn) make very similar suspension components so I am looking at any of their pieces. So far, I have found the following to be the most economical.

UMI Drag Sway Bar – 3” Axle Tubes #2245-300
Do these bolt to the existing sway mounts on the current Strange S60? I have seen posts that say they do and some posts that say they don't.
I would prefer this over the BMR since it does not require welding of the sway end-link mounts.

UMI Adjustable Lower Control Arms w/ Polyurethane Bushings #2018
I like these since they are on-car adjustable or are the #2017OF with rod ends recommended for a primarily strip car?

UMI On-Car Adjustable Panhard Bar with Poly Bushings #2029
Similar to the LCA's, I like these since they are on-car adjustable or is the #2023 with rod ends recommended for a primarily strip car?

UMI Tunnel Brace Mounted Torque Arm w/ DSL - Stock Exhaust & Kook LT's #2201
I like the BMR Extreme, but again, that is another trip to the "welder" and significantly more money.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello, Thanks for considering the UMI items and I will be glad to help with your decision and to make sure you choose the correct items.

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
UMI Drag Sway Bar – 3” Axle Tubes #2245-300
Do these bolt to the existing sway mounts on the current Strange S60? I have seen posts that say they do and some posts that say they don't.
I would prefer this over the BMR since it does not require welding of the sway end-link mounts.
This anti-roll bar does not bolt to the Strange sway bar mounts. Strange supplies their mounts angled back so the factory sway bar will clear the rear end cover, our drag bar does not need this. We supply you mounts to use. The Strange mounts will most likely need to be cut off and removed. If I remember correctly you can not leave them in place or they get in the way.

UMI Adjustable Lower Control Arms w/ Polyurethane Bushings #2018 I like these since they are on-car adjustable or are the #2017OF with rod ends recommended for a primarily strip car?
Since the car will see limited street use and more strip time the rod ended control arms would be best, however part #2018 would be fine as well. Part # 2017OF is designed off set for clearance for wider tires, if you are having this issue then this would be recommended. The control arm is off set inward an additional 3/8" for tire clearance. If not item #2017 would be my recommendation.

UMI On-Car Adjustable Panhard Bar with Poly Bushings #2029Similar to the LCA's, I like these since they are on-car adjustable or is the #2023 with rod ends recommended for a primarily strip car?
For the panhard bar I highly recommend at least one end and at best both ends having rod ends. The rod ends allow the rear end to rotate freely with out bind as the drive line angle is set. The panhard bar you have chosen wouldn't be best because of the polyurethane bushings on both ends. I would recommend item # 2022 or #2023 for the best set up.

UMI Tunnel Brace Mounted Torque Arm w/ DSL - Stock Exhaust & Kook LT's #2201I like the BMR Extreme, but again, that is another trip to the "welder" and significantly more money.
This torque arm will work nicely on the S60 and is what I run on my personal vehicle. It does not require welding and bolts to existing holes in the chassis. For best clearance under the vehicle the rear bracket can be trimmed on the torque arm as well.

Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions, I will be glad to help.

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you for your input Ryan. I didn't like hearing about the drag sway though. I am keeping my 10-bolt for a later demod and sale. I do not want to remove the sway brackets as it may affect the re-sale of the S60 at a later date.

What have other members done for a drag sway on an S60??? Please chime in S60 owners.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

The brackets were removed on mine, can't even notice they were removed if you didn't know they were there. As said you can pick up new brackets if you want to put a stock style sway bar back on at a later time.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for your input and photos "SmokedOutZ28".
Old 03-22-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UMI Performance

This anti-roll bar does not bolt to the Strange sway bar mounts. Strange supplies their mounts angled back so the factory sway bar will clear the rear end cover, our drag bar does not need this. We supply you mounts to use. The Strange mounts will most likely need to be cut off and removed. If I remember correctly you can not leave them in place or they get in the way.
Even though the UMI drag sway does not need the sway mounts angled back to miss the differential case as a stock sway does, does the mounting angle matter if I were to use the angled back mounts and not the supplied mounts?

I have seen Spohn's drag sways mounted to the "stock" S60 sway mounts. Has anyone seen any disadvantages to mounting a drag sway at such an angle?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for your input Ryan. I didn't like hearing about the drag sway though. I am keeping my 10-bolt for a later demod and sale. I do not want to remove the sway brackets as it may affect the re-sale of the S60 at a later date.

What have other members done for a drag sway on an S60??? Please chime in S60 owners.

Removing the Strange mounts will be required with the BMR and Spohn drag bar as well. Once removed it is very easy to attach a factory sway bar in the future, you can use a sway bar installation kit or 3" muffler clamps. So this is a pretty easy task and I don't think will hurt the value of the rear end.

With the new supplied mounts and end links there is no need to angle the sway bar, when the suspension is loaded the sway bar will "hug" the rear properly offering correct clearance and sway bar length. Placing the sway bar in an angle will change the end link length which can change the bar stiffness.

I hope this helps,
Ryan
Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PM sent... We have a direct bolt-on sway bar available for the S60 and any other rearend out there. It is tubular chromemoly design and is a full 20 pounds lighter than the other designs on the market using solid bar. We also have all the other bolt-on suspension components available for what you are looking to do and are the highest quality and best priced on the market. All our components are track and street tested and are proven. We only use the best materials and have street friendly designs for both performance and comfort.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

any other opinions or info ... looks like I will have to cut the mounts off or go with Midwest's bar.

Quick Reply: S60 is here ... Wanting to confirm Drag Sway, LCA, PHB & T/A decisions