Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Aftermarket Strut Mounting Kit or spring Perch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Strut Mounting Kit or spring Perch?

2002 SS, 63Kmiles (only owner). Installing Koni DA's and Stano Springs.

So I spent about 1.5 hours fighting with my driver-side front shocks trying to remove it from its perch. MAN! what a Bi%ch!

After, finally, getting the bearing plate insulator bolt off that was practically welded to my Shocks due to rust, I noticed the strut mount was rusted underneath.

Were y'all's the same?

I want to replace them with a fresh set (expecting I will find the same on the passenger side)

Has anyone replaced them?

What brand did you go with?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

Very common, I see most people use the MOOG part. Sorry, I don't have a part number, mine were rust free, car was from CA. NAPA should have them and I think Advance Auto now sells MOOG. On a side note, these cars don't have "struts". Even though it kind of looks like one it is just a shock with the coil spring mounted to it.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
Very common, I see most people use the MOOG part. Sorry, I don't have a part number, mine were rust free, car was from CA. NAPA should have them and I think Advance Auto now sells MOOG. On a side note, these cars don't have "struts". Even though it kind of looks like one it is just a shock with the coil spring mounted to it.
got it.

I just called O'reilly to get some replacements.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

KYB is what I ordered. One was an actual GM part and the other was not. But in some ways the KYB looked better than the GM and other ways the GM looked better. And the GM part was alot harder to cut through than the KYB part
Old 04-02-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through quite an ordeal trying to find a shock mount that fit.

First I ordered AC Delco (different than OEM) mounts. When they arrived, the left and right looked completely different and it was obvious they weren't the same brand. The right side went on w/o a hitch but the left side didn't fit at all. So I returned it and ordered another AC Delco hoping it would be different, but it wasn't.

So then I ordered the Napa brand which got good reviews. Well, the part number changed and apparently it's now made by the same people that make the other crap ones (Strut Mate). It didn't fit either.

So then I ordered both the Moog and the KYB. The Moog looked better quality than the previous ones, but once again, it didn't fit. The KYB on the other hand, actually fit!

So bottom line, even though there are 10 different brands, it seems only 1 or 2 manufactures actually make these things. If you don't have $300 to buy OEM, I'd try the KYB. Just buy them from somewhere that has a good return policy.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

^^ Good to know that info
Old 04-03-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

part number on KYB?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
part number on KYB?
KYB-SM5118 - left
KYB-SM5119 - right

part numbers are from summit
Old 04-04-2011, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
I went through quite an ordeal trying to find a shock mount that fit.

First I ordered AC Delco (different than OEM) mounts. When they arrived, the left and right looked completely different and it was obvious they weren't the same brand. The right side went on w/o a hitch but the left side didn't fit at all. So I returned it and ordered another AC Delco hoping it would be different, but it wasn't.

So then I ordered the Napa brand which got good reviews. Well, the part number changed and apparently it's now made by the same people that make the other crap ones (Strut Mate). It didn't fit either.

So then I ordered both the Moog and the KYB. The Moog looked better quality than the previous ones, but once again, it didn't fit. The KYB on the other hand, actually fit!

So bottom line, even though there are 10 different brands, it seems only 1 or 2 manufactures actually make these things. If you don't have $300 to buy OEM, I'd try the KYB. Just buy them from somewhere that has a good return policy.
Great info!

I have an STB... after reading other threads on the fitment issue I was afraid of buying after market. I did however, go to Orielly and bought their house brand (master craft - I think), they looked good but the threaded stems looked to be about 1/4" shorter than OEM. I was concerned with my STB not being able to bolt to them so I took them back.

Instead, I went and bought Rust-Oleum 248656 Rubberized Undercoating (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=134471_0_0_) and some sand paper. I cleaned up the shock mount and spindle mount with the sand paper and sprayed the rusted areas with a couple of coats and allowed to dry over night... they looked brand new!

I bought new pilot bearing isolators ($14 ea.) because those were rusted the worse and bolted everything back up. Done.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Strut Mounting Kit or spring Perch?