Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

high speed swaying - loose front

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high speed swaying - loose front

Ok so after a high-speed run, when I go to brake, I can feel the car ****** or so...feels like i'mma loose it...

I jacked up the front end and I can wiggle the tire from left to right...BOTH SIDES...almost as if it's a bad wheel bearing, but its not... I can see the movement halfway up the shock, where it connects to the A-arm??

anyone know what this could be? what do I need to replace? It does it on both front wheels...I could possibly get a video or atleast a picture and show where I see the movement at...I'm unfamiliar on the terms for the part...Hope I described it good enough...

all help is appriciated...thanks...
Old 04-09-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The shock doesn't connect to the A-arm, it connects to a rubber "biscuit" that sandwiches the body, the a-arm and this biscuit together. If you can shake the wheel, such that the upper point of the spindle is moving around, I'd be looking at upper ball joints and/or upper a-arm bushings. And, depending on the mileage on the car, possibly lower ball joints and lower a-arm bushings also....maybe even outer tie rod ends too.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

yes, that biscuit you described is where I can see the movement...
Old 04-09-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
yes, that biscuit you described is where I can see the movement...
They've been known to crack/break up over time, due to loads, heat, and ozone in the air, etc....

They are replaceable, but annoying to do, as the retaining bolts are a well known sore spot for rust.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

ooof sounds like a job...does sam strano sell 'em ?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Veteran

I believe so.

You wouldn't think that these are a "high demand" part, so that several companies would tool up to make them, but it appears that is the case. The factory replacement parts are supposedly the best, in terms of quality, but also the most expensive, and that's if they're still available through the GM parts chain.

Moog, Monroe, and KYB, to name a few, also market these parts. I would imagine that Sam sell one of these aftermarket replacements. One thing to keep in mind, especially if you've never taken one of these cars apart, is there are actually 3 rubber pieces in there, and from what the majority of people here have found, only 2 are available as replacement parts. So, be careful when you do your disassembly.

One other thing to consider is this...In order to replace this "biscuit", you have to compress/remove the car's front spring, as well as disassemble a lot of the front end. Since you're in there, consider if you were planning to replace the shocks or springs, as it would be the IDEAL time to do it. Also, even if you don't go that far, I'd strongly recommend replacing the upper a-arm bushings, since you'll have the a-arm out of the car at that point, and they are a wear item also.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

^^^dang, I was afraid of digging in that far. A tad scared of shocks, I've seen something furious happen before...thanks for telling me about the 3 pieces....I'll get some ordered and your absolutely right about being and ideal time to replace the shocks.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

As long as you get one of those spring compressors, actually I guess you'd call it a "set" of the spring compressors, that attach to the outer perimeter of the springs, and you have them securely attached, you should be OK. Look at it as an opportunity to gain some experience!

In all reality, the real problem you'll probably encounter is rust on the upper retaining nut of the shock absorber. The area where it mounts seems to be a real attraction for water, then rust. It's quite possible that you'll have to cut that nut off, which more than likely will damage the shock's upper shaft, which means the shock is then toast. That's why I was mentioning that, however if you still have the OE shocks, I'm sure that you've already read here, that they are pretty marginal to start with...
Old 04-10-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Yes they are OEM with 161,xxx miles!!!! ouch.... Yeah I guess, I'mma be selling it soon anyways, I may just mention it to the purchaser and not worry with it myself...

So even PB Blaster will have a hard time huh?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
Yes they are OEM with 161,xxx miles!!!! ouch.... Yeah I guess, I'mma be selling it soon anyways, I may just mention it to the purchaser and not worry with it myself...

So even PB Blaster will have a hard time huh?
Yes even PB Blaster will have a hard time. The one on the passenger front was so bad that I had to take it to a shop to cut it off.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

wow..I may just leave it alone and tell the buyer, selling my car AS IS...i'll let it go cheap lol
Old 04-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Launching!

the job sucks but nothing you cant do if youve worked on cars at all, was my first major job on the car. just odnt waste your time, if your going to be replacing the shocks then u can simply cut the shaft of the stock shock while the spring is compressed by the compressor. then just take off the mount and spring you use youre replacement parts to put it back together.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

yep...thanks again guys, I'm not gonna fool with it...

Quick Reply: high speed swaying - loose front