Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drive shaft noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drive shaft noise?

Hey guys,

I just did the Strano/Koni install and got an alignment. Car handles great and everything but I got out of the car this evening and noticed a "clicking" sound coming from underneath the car. It didn't matter if the car was in park, drive or neutral, the click is still there. I did a search and I got a lot of info on 60+ Mph vibrations and noises but nothing at idle.

I installed a UMI Adj. transmission mounted T/A to the stock 10 bolt and my A4- transmission is stock as well. I'm going to try and investigate the noise more later in the week, but I was just curious if any of you folks may have experienced something similar? I had my buddy set the pinion to -2, but maybe he screwed up? Could that cause a clicking sound? Anyway I may have to look into that and I'm going to go over everything anyway and check the tightness.. The car drives fine and accelerates great. Just this clicking at idle... Its pretty annoying. Also, for the last week that I have been driving it, there has been no clicking noises.

Any help is much appreciated. I've been having random noises for like 2 years and finally got rid of them until now

Last edited by cnd99hawk; 05-30-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Launching!

I found this video from another thread (not my car) and I swear its pretty freakin close to the same sound I have.. However in this guys case he had a broken TA.

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=100_1801.mp4
Old 05-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Teching In

I had something close to that one time. It was one of the flex plate bolts backed out and was bouncing around the cover for the flex plate and torque convertor. Had a hard time finding it. I could only hear it at idle. The cover is really easy to remove and take a peak. Getting the bolt back in is another story. Just a thought.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Thanks CBR, I will keep that in mind. I just hope whatever it is, its not something that is going to be expensive to get rid of. Like I said the car drives great and can't hear it inside the car (with the music off) and there are no vibrations of any sort..
Old 05-30-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't think it would be drive shaft related if it happens in neutral or park. If it just like the vid you posted then I would think it's in the trans area, or since you lowered like me I had issues with my aftermarket tq arm hitting my y pipe and the upper mount on the rear end was sandwiched against the body of the car. Both of which made noise at idle
Old 05-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Teching In

No problem. The video sounds alot like what mine sounded like. That cover is only four bolts, 14mm i think.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
I wouldn't think it would be drive shaft related if it happens in neutral or park. If it just like the vid you posted then I would think it's in the trans area, or since you lowered like me I had issues with my aftermarket tq arm hitting my y pipe and the upper mount on the rear end was sandwiched against the body of the car. Both of which made noise at idle
I will check the exhaust to see if the TA or something is rattling against it. BTW its not consistent. The noise comes and goes every 3-5 seconds and sometimes you can't hear it at all... Its more annoying than anything. Nothing worse than at a light and have a sound like that.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CBR Crazy
No problem. The video sounds alot like what mine sounded like. That cover is only four bolts, 14mm i think.
Sorry, I should have asked this before.. Where is this "flex plate" that I should check? Like where underneath the car should I be looking??

Keep the ideas coming guys. BTW car has 22,3xx miles on it, so I hope its nothing worn out..
Old 05-31-2011, 06:28 AM
Launching!

Where is the flex plate located? Please be descriptive lol
Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Teching In

It is what connects the motor to the torque convertor(transmission). If you look behind the motor (under the car), there is a bear metal shield that is rounded around the flex plate and torque converter. It really is hard to miss once you get under there and check it out. If you look under the car and put your hand on the oil drain plug and pull your hand stright back, to the back of the car, 8inches your hand will be right on it.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CBR Crazy
It is what connects the motor to the torque convertor(transmission). If you look behind the motor (under the car), there is a bear metal shield that is rounded around the flex plate and torque converter. It really is hard to miss once you get under there and check it out. If you look under the car and put your hand on the oil drain plug and pull your hand stright back, to the back of the car, 8inches your hand will be right on it.
Awesome man, thanks for the descriptiveness. I will try and look into this tomorrow.

I got off work at 8 pm and it didn't give me much time to investigate but I got one side of the car up on stands, just so I could pop my head under and investigate. Anyway, I turned the car on - in park, and the sound seems to be coming from the transmission area, but with the sound of exhaust/engine its hard to pin point exactly where it is. I hope to investigate further tomorrow. Its very frustrating...
Old 06-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Launching!

I've spent a few days researching possible sources of the noise and came up with the following:

-Loose converter bolt
-Loose or missing Flex plate bolts
-Failed flex plate
-Bad starter (probably going to rule this one out but I read that it could cause a similar noise I'm hearing)
-02 sensor casing rattling in exhaust (probably far off, but worth a look)

Anyway, I'm going to look into the car tomorrow.. Can the flex plate be seen or inspected underneath the car without dropping the transmission? Can the inspection cover be unbolted without dropping the transmission?

I have a friend of a friend that has a hoist in his garage and I want to try and avoid using it if I can, but if the tranny needs to be dropped to see the flex plate then I'll need to use it. I hope that the flex plate doesn't need to be replaced, I don't really want to drop a tranny in my driveway lol
Old 06-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Well Ladies and Gents,

Somebody might wanna move this thread to the auto trans section haha.. I have a warped flexplate.. Its about 0.5-1" warped.. Going to drop the tranny in the next couple weeks. No idea how I did that because I don't push it too hard. I guess its another brutal part GM put in our cars.

Quick Reply: Drive shaft noise?