Strano
71.43%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

BMR or Strano Lowering Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

geesh.. you know guys.. there is a thing called a private message, if you've got words with eachother why humiliate yourselves by making your arguments so public?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

This thread is going to get deleted..

I think it's funny how everyone is trying to gang up on chaman. Some of you need to wake up and learn how the business world works. It's called competition. Similar products, with minimal changes. Every product on the market is like this.Seems like there are a lot of strano nutswingers in this thread.

Both companies make good products, go with what you want OP, which will probably be based off of your budget, like most f-body owners.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Competition is fine. I compete everytime I race, I compete in a way with every other vendor here. I have no issues with any of them, none of them actually.

Doing about-faces, saying this is the best--then changing it, etc. etc. is the issue I have. Of course they can't admit why they changed their stuff, they don't even really even admit to doing it. That, in addition to the threats of running me out of business after trying to get me to sell their stuff and drop UMI, that's what bothers me. If you guys are ok with stuff like that, that's your business. I don't and won't ever like stunts like that. Ever.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-21-2012, 04:21 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Competition is fine. I compete everytime I race, I compete in a way with every other vendor here. I have no issues with any of them, none of them actually.

Doing about-faces, saying this is the best--then changing it, etc. etc. is the issue I have. Of course they can't admit why they changed their stuff, they don't even really even admit to doing it. That, in addition to the threats of running me out of business after trying to get me to sell their stuff and drop UMI, that's what bothers me. If you guys are ok with stuff like that, that's your business. I don't and won't ever like stunts like that. Ever.
lol why not drop UMI and go with BMR, their always revising their stuff and have plenty of old designs.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my springs, Konis, swaybars and D/A panhard from Sam in 08. At 7:15 p.m. he spent over 30 minutes talking with me giving me tips and warning the pitfalls of my install. He gave me optimum alignment specs, shock settings, PHB setup and even the best grease to use on the bushings etc.. HE ALSO ADVISED AGAINST ME BUYING AN ADJUSTABLE LCA UNTIL I TRIED THINGS OUT TO SEE IF I NEEDED IT.I WAS READY TO DROP THE CASH ON IT! He was very patient with me and I could never expect better customer service from anyone. Yes I have a BMR adj. TA on my car because I got it dirt cheap but SAM is always gonna be my first call and a few dollars more if you even if you have to pay it is well worth it IMO. You think think the "TECHS" you get on the phone at BMR turn wrenches????
Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Default okkkkkk

so i know this is a very old thread, BUT can someone without putting anyone down in anyway shape or form. With both bmr and strano i would like to know if both products are the same springs and the konis are on sale bmr you buy shocks you get springs free plus 57 in shipping= like 907 or something, strano is 1069.99 for koni and strano springs so a diff of 167$. At this point in time, so maybe some may say not a huge diff but if 167$ can add another part to your car and products are no diff beside company then whats the deal. I emailed sam a year ago about products (watts) and i could never answer when he called and got a email and he was pissed i couldnt answer bc i was at work and the days i had to call he wasnt in office. i explained my feelings on customer service. I talked to him last week, explained to him i do some drag some road stuff koni on car and his springs would be fine.... again if you can save money and the products are really the same then why would you spend the extra if you never talked to anyone of these people????? im leaning for sam but i need sways also and that would help
Old 03-26-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No, BMR and Strano springs are not the same. Made by two different companies. Similar specs, yeah, but not the same part.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was around when BMR released their "new" spring, right when strano's springs were booming. I remember that thread. BMR totally swiped Stranos design, hence why ever since then all my parts have been UMI or Strano...

Strano FTW. He will tell you WHAT YOUR CAR NEEDS or WHAT YOU WANT out of your car. He guided me THROUGH THE SETUP and ADJUSTMENT of my Koni/Strano setup, direct phonecall to him. Love his stuff, and will never shop elsewhere. He knows his ****.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Default ok again lol

again i understand this is a huge debate on who stole what and who does what but again the springs!!!!!!!! diff company but if both are the same meaning one was made the other was made to be the same as the first and money is a concern beside strano being the first to do it and race with it.....is there really a difference on the way they perform has anyone had both sets...again i am doing my best and would love to figure out why bc if i can save 5$ then i would not have even bothered but almost 200$ then i have to ask and am not wanting to **** anyone off at all or take side just to get someone who has used both and if performance is better than the other? does it lower the same ect careless about color. just how it sits rides and lower..... in the end again guys if spending 200$ is worth it the so be it but if the springs are 99% almost identical in the way they ride and sit then i can take that money and spend on some strano sway bars. thats what i going for.... thats what is holding me up....i can go the bmr kit koni free springs and add strano sway bars or do strano and wait another 6 months to do sway bars...... just help clear it up...
Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Like I said, specs-wise they are very close. Spring rates, drop, all that stuff.

You'll have to decide for yourself which way to go. Personally, I think it is worth it to go with the original and bought Strano springs this spring - see what I did there? Springs, spring, ha, ha...ha? no one's laughing...

But anyway, it's your call.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

What was the point of bringing this thread back from the dead? You probably could have just made a new one.

Strano's are about a 1.2 inch drop with 550 front rate and 150 rear rate. Made using a chromium vanadium material which allows for a lighter material but just as strong. So techically strano springs should be lighter than the rest.

BMR's I think are a 1.25 inch drop with a 550 front rate and 160 rear rate possibly? Made using typical chromium silicon spring material

Take that and weight the pros and cons vs the money and make a decision
Old 03-27-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets face it-$200 can buy you more "stuff" for your car. Everyone gets that. Many things affect the price of a product/service etc- materials used, R&D, shipping, mass production etc. I think if you really dig into these factors, you will find out WHY two similar products are priced differently, and this applies to these two spring brands.

Some people buy based on a budget, others just buy the most expensive stuff for whatever reasons. If you're looking for a price match on Sams springs you're wasting your time. He is not pricing himself out of the market and he is not going to give them away either.

No one can make up your mind for you, shop within your budget, save up, do mods one at a time, do em all at once, go into debt, whatever. Get the "most" parts for $1k, get the "best" parts for that amount, you are paying for it. Do your research so you are comfortable with the outlay of cash.

Being prudent with cash means not throwing it away, nor is it buying the cheapest stuff out there. Give the vendors a chance by dealing with them directly, or based on whatever side "wins" the debate based on others' opinions, you tell me which is smarter!

Last edited by pewter2002; 03-27-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Brought my thread back from the dead... lol Should probably just be made a sticky haha eventually Ill be getting Stranos
Old 04-09-2013, 08:45 PM
9 Second Club

I daily drive my '99 TA 'vert over 550 miles a week... what shock/spring do you guys recommend for it? Will either of these springs sit correctly in the rear or will it sit lower than the front? I thought at one time I read that verts were heavier in the rear and had a heavier spring or something.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Strano. I'd pay more just to support the little guy. Strano is a car guy that keeps in touch with his customers. Races himself. I've read on some of the things that have gone on between the two, so I'm sticking with Strano/UMI for all my suspension and braking needs.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I would go with BMR springs for a simple fact. Whether the public or Sam agrees with me or not, it is my opinion and the feeling I get. Strano is very knowledgable with suspension geometry but he has been nothing but rude in many instances to many people including myself, one of those high horse kind of attitudes like a young Lieutenant. Customer service is a deal maker or breaker for me. I'll spend a more money with a company that sounds like they want my business.

I'm sure his springs are a great product, but I won't buy them. I love my Hotchkis springs. BMR is a great company all around. From an actual car performance standpoint, it seems you can't go wrong either way.

Take your negative reviews in the same attitude you take your positives.
^^^ these are my thoughts exactly.
The service that I have received from BMR has been great! I have spoken to Kevin a couple of times, as well and PM`d back and forth with him. He has always been polite, prompt and knowledgeable.

Product aside, (because I cant comment one way or the other having never owned a Strano product) the customer service you will receive at BMR is superior, especially if you are new to this hobby. Sam has an extremely condescending way of talking to people.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:50 PM
9 Second Club

Well, I've dealt with BMR quite a bit in the past with great results. I've also talked to Sam on the phone a few times over the years and he was helpful. I think Sam does come off the wrong way in some of his posts on here though... then again, that's what typing does.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have an awful lot of very happy customers who don't find me condescending, but straightforward and honest.

It's a little exhausting having to fight with "I read on the internet" on a daily basis. And to hear 55 times a day "I want my car to handle better" when the person can't tell me anything about how they want the car to handle better. The truth is, I can't work off of such generic statements. If you want parts for the sake of parts, then I'm not your guy.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I called planning on spending some money with you.. Absolutely one of the worst phone calls I have had with a sponsor.

Im no suspension guru for what I was inquiring but i have a basic understanding.. My lingo Im sure was a bit off.

I called Bmr yesterday and they were very pleasant to do either and walk me through what I needed to do. And knew what I actually meant when i used an incorrect word instead of making me feel two inches small.

It isn't anything personal.. Im sure the more informed suspension guys have no problems talking to you, I wasn't as fortunate.

Some people call you only knowing they want better ride quality, better handling, etc with no idea how to make that work or where to start. It should be your responsibility to have an understanding of what they are looking for and tell them the way to get there.
You would think after so many phone calls you could do this.. But you just talk to them like they are complete idiots.

If I know exactly what I want and exactly what I need and if i have any questions exactly what words to use etc etc.. I Will call you.... Otherwise ill stick to the companies, such as Bmr, who Will spend 15 minutes on the phone with me discussing something that won't laugh when i say something.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I wear my heart on my sleeve and that's not the best thing for a "salesman" to do. I get that, but I really don't consider myself a salesman. I won't sell parts that I don't feel are correct. If you want my opinion, you will get it. And I will do my level best to make *sure* folks get the parts that will help them get to the result they want. Thing is they often don't have any idea what that is, and that's not easy for me because I can't read minds.

If you don't want any help or my opinion, then just use the website to order parts, I'm fine with that.

Quick Reply: BMR or Strano Lowering Springs?