Strano
71.43%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

BMR or Strano Lowering Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fair enough.. I think if you just remember not everyone knows the correct lingo you Will have less complaints in that department. That was your biggest problem with what I was trying to get across. I took offense to it.

Again, nothing personal. As far as knowledge and quality of parts.. Top of the top no questions asked.
You can't be the best at everything!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

To be fair, I don't ask for engineering lingo. But to do what I do, I need something more than "I want it to handle better". Yeah, I know, that's what everyone wants. But not everyone has the same issues with the way the car handles, or what they consider to be handling.

I'm left in a hugely terrible position where I either have to tell them what I think want to hear (which I hate, and just won't do), or be honest. And honesty has pitfalls, like pissing someone off when they have no clue about what it is they want. Well, if a guy can't tell me what he wants to make better, how am I supposed to know?
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-10-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, its not what is said, rather how it is said.

I had a chat with a guy at Kore3 the other day, he walked me through everything I needed to know. We talked for almost 20 minutes.... I am sure that I sounded like an idiot as I didnt really know what I was talking about LOL but he took the time to explain in detail what I was looking for, and even recommended that I dont buy certain things that he said were not needed, which I always respect from a vendor.

Thats the type of experience I look for when trying to buy parts or anything really. Im the first to admit that I dont know everything (or even close) about these cars, and if you want my hard earned $$ then treat me with respect.

Companies that I have spoken to that are understanding and polite, like BMR and Kore3 will get my $$. Companies that treat me like an idiot like Strano, will not... Its that simple

I make my living in Sales btw...
Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

What can I say? You think I'm a jerk, ok. I guess I manage to make a living in spite of my terribleness. And if I was after sales and only sales, I'd tell anyone what they want to hear.

Truth is I'd rather not sell a part than sell the wrong part. And that's where the scrapes usually stem from. I'm not hear to be pals with everyone, and I'm extremely busy. I spend, on average 30 minutes on the phone with each person I talk to. That's not someone who doesn't care. If anything I care to much, and it's hugely frustrating when I just can't get information I need to try and do my job the way I need to do it.

Clearly you don't like me, that's fine. Doesn't make me wrong and I respect your choice to buy whatever, wherever.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought shocks/springs from Sam in 2008 and had a very good conversation with him. Didn't get the whole condescending attitude at all. He set me up with a package that fit my needs and it still performs great today.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I dont understand how someone can call a sponsor looking for something (even with no knowledge what so ever) but not be able to describe what they want to change?
Want to lessen body roll, squat/dive, overall floaty/looseness, improve steering/turn in response. How hard is that really???
Its like calling an engine builder like Tony Mamo and saying "I want to go fast", Im sure he'd reply with "ummm...what is fast to you?"
-"Well you're supposed to be the expert, you tell me!"
or "I read on the internet that I can add a chip to my car and gain 50hp!" Im sure he would chuckle at that. Some may take it as being "mean", others will understand that the question is ridiculously broad and if you want to get the right parts you need to know what you want to change.
How much can you spend? Do you mind having a lumpy cam? Do you want to go FI, NA, N20? etc etc etc
Some sponsors will certainly "hook you up" without hesitation with whatever they make the most margin on, regardless if you need it or not, telling you that you do "need it", or others have had great success with it. Years ago certain sponsors were selling QA1s as a handling shock package - im sure they would gladly sell it to anyone regardless of them having experience with anything else (if they did have experience, they wouldn't be selling them as handling shocks...)
So most LS1tech-ers know engines pretty well, imagine calling an engine builder and describing what you want out of the setup.
If you want my hard earned money you need to know what you're talking about and selling (and have first hand experience with it).
Old 04-10-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ this

Its kinda like when a new guy joins the site and asks which exhaust sounds better, or whats the best cam out there. Everyone tells him to do a search instead of helping.

Dont get me wrong, customer service is something you dont forget, but i wouldnt switch my car goals just cus i wasnt treated the way i wanted.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And why white? Well my car is white.... but really it had to do with folks being able to easily identify my springs. Red, Blue, Black are all common, and i wasn't doing yellow or orange, or purple, etc. Since you can't see the freaking things I didn't think it was was a big deal.
This is why I don't throw rocks at a hornet's nest.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Teching In

I recently emailed Sam a question looking for recommendations and inventory on some products. A two line short response with no information which I then answered and waiting for a reply. I called his store number on his website and got no answer after repeated rings. I Google mapped the store address and got a street view of his operations - what a dump with a white Camaro parked in the side lot. Must be his. Anyway, I'm sure his reputation will carry him for a few more years but he's probably lost yet another customer with no attention to customer service. I shouldn't have to plead with a merchant to buy their merchandise.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Knightrider5000
I recently emailed Sam a question looking for recommendations and inventory on some products. A two line short response with no information which I then answered and waiting for a reply. I called his store number on his website and got no answer after repeated rings. I Google mapped the store address and got a street view of his operations - what a dump with a white Camaro parked in the side lot. Must be his. Anyway, I'm sure his reputation will carry him for a few more years but he's probably lost yet another customer with no attention to customer service. I shouldn't have to plead with a merchant to buy their merchandise.
I think you're looking in the totally wrong place... Out of curiosity I looked up their address and there is no "dump" there and no white Camaro parked in a side lot (he hasn't owned it for a few years anyway).

Did you only call once? Not sure about them there, but I know at my work we can't always get to the phone every single time because we're either busy with another person, or not in the office at the moment, or whatever.

No one (except you) has said you need to plead with anyone to buy anything.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I think you're looking in the totally wrong place... Out of curiosity I looked up their address and there is no "dump" there and no white Camaro parked in a side lot (he hasn't owned it for a few years anyway).

Did you only call once? Not sure about them there, but I know at my work we can't always get to the phone every single time because we're either busy with another person, or not in the office at the moment, or whatever.

No one (except you) has said you need to plead with anyone to buy anything.
Thanks Sparky! I assumed most businesses today would have voice mail especially one with a website. How many customers has your business lost because you couldn't connect? I called during the regular business hours
posted on his website and it rang repeatedly. If anyone was speaking with someone else, voice mail is the ticket. I work as well so I can't take extra time chasing down merchants. My email message remains unanswered for over 48 hours and I was very specific in my query. Don't want to torch the guy but I guess business is really good or maybe he doesn't have any staff on sales or support these days.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A few, though some were on purpose (problem people that became not worth our time or frustration). Not sure on that voicemail thing though. We have voicemail at our work that picks up after 4-5 rings.

Dunno man.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Knightrider5000
I Google mapped the store address and got a street view of his operations - what a dump with a white Camaro parked in the side lot. Must be his.
Well.. I'm sure this comment won't make things awkward when you finally get a chance to talk to him.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Default What about QA1 and...

Has anyone combined Stranos with QA1 single adjustable shocks?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

His staffing is not what the larger companies are, that is for sure. I can understand a delayed message or missed call.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Do I have a big fancy shop? No I do not. It's a very old, small building. And it's proof I'm not getting rich on your backs. And then I'm blasted for it. Grow up.

Do you have *ANY IDEA* how many emails I get a day? I bet you don't. Add to that phone calls, and orders, and packing stuff to ship, and doing paperwork, and paying my own bills, and prepping my cars to run and well.... I'm sorry that I don't have the time to write you a huge long novel in response to your question.

I'm busy, I won't apologize for that. I got busy because I do my best to get folks what works. I'll say it again...... if you don't like the opinion, or don't want the opinion, then just order from the website and don't ask me. If you need more detail, then understand that I cannot drop everything at a moments notice for every single person who wants information--- there are a LOT of you.

To summarize. I live and work in a very small town. My building is not fancy. It is paid off. I work here and have an assistant who works 4 days a week, 6 hours a day. I'm not sitting in a fancy corporate office. I'm busting my *** day in and day out trying to get folks on decent setups. If you don't like any of that, don't call me.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Do I have a big fancy shop? No I do not. It's a very old, small building. And it's proof I'm not getting rich on your backs. And then I'm blasted for it. Grow up.

Do you have *ANY IDEA* how many emails I get a day? I bet you don't. Add to that phone calls, and orders, and packing stuff to ship, and doing paperwork, and paying my own bills, and prepping my cars to run and well.... I'm sorry that I don't have the time to write you a huge long novel in response to your question.

I'm busy, I won't apologize for that. I got busy because I do my best to get folks what works. I'll say it again...... if you don't like the opinion, or don't want the opinion, then just order from the website and don't ask me. If you need more detail, then understand that I cannot drop everything at a moments notice for every single person who wants information--- there are a LOT of you.

To summarize. I live and work in a very small town. My building is not fancy. It is paid off. I work here and have an assistant who works 4 days a week, 6 hours a day. I'm not sitting in a fancy corporate office. I'm busting my *** day in and day out trying to get folks on decent setups. If you don't like any of that, don't call me.
Well said Sam. If running your own business was easy, everyone would have one. Keep up the good work and don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

I got a pet peeve about these cocky tool/douche bags who think with the "customer is always right" mindframe and approach the business with their arrogance. I think it's awesome when the business isn't afraid to tell them to F-off and take their business elsewhere.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I got a pet peeve about these cocky tool/douche bags who think with the "customer is always right" mindframe and approach the business with their arrogance. I think it's awesome when the business isn't afraid to tell them to F-off and take their business elsewhere.
same here.

However, i think sam needs to stop letting all this bug him. It seems like his last bunch of posts are him just trying to defend his company and products. And theres nothing wrong with that, but he could use that time to help his customers instead of try and convince people who want to be treated like kings for no apparent reason.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Originally Posted by Zlow28
same here.

However, i think sam needs to stop letting all this bug him. It seems like his last bunch of posts are him just trying to defend his company and products. And theres nothing wrong with that, but he could use that time to help his customers instead of try and convince people who want to be treated like kings for no apparent reason.
+3.

I install garage doors and openers and I can't tell you how many times we get people telling us how to do the installs. Granted, garage doors aren't rocket science, but gimme a break people. I had a 'lady' argue with me for 10 minutes that I had installed her door wrong. Her garage slab was out of level a couple inches and you have to make sure the door is level to begin with so it operates properly. It's not uncommon for the garage slab or driveway to settle over the years. She had argued that the door should have had a tight seal across the bottom of the door and I kept telling her no, that the door won't work right (a wood door you can scribe and make it fit right but not a metal door), finally, I had enough and told her to talk to my boss if she was unhappy with my work. At that point, I guess she didn't want to argue about it anymore and shut her piehole and paid me. If the customer is always right, why call us? Do it yourself, *******!

Quick Reply: BMR or Strano Lowering Springs?