Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need suggestions on rear suspension setup.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need suggestions on rear suspension setup.

Hey guys.
Like the title indicates, I'm just looking for opinions/ideas for my rear suspension setup and selection. I'm finding that the rear seems to "sag", or sit low. Also since the cam, I notice when I get on it real hard it sometimes bottoms the car out and bangs a couple times. Also during 1-2 shift under wot. I'd like to level the car back out and tighten the *** up a bit but I'm not sure what springs/shocks I should go with, and whether it is acceptable or not to do just the rear, and leave the front (on a bit of a budget this summer-girlfriend appropriated allowance lol jk.)? But seriously , I'd love some suggestions from some of you guys that have been there, done that. The car is used primarily for cruising and occasional spirited driving, so no need for a drag setup or corner carver per se. However, if I had to lean one way I'd like something with good road manners and better than stock handling/firmness. It currently has stock setup (w/ decarbons ), so I'm wondering if anyone has some good replacement suggestions for me? Thanks for any help guys, I'm not real familar when it comes to suspension.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a budget, new stock springs and a set of bilsteins.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Strano or BMR springs and bilstein HD shocks. Then to get the power to the ground LCA's and relocation brackets, panhard bar, and torque arm
Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

^^^What this guy says
Old 06-15-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
on a budget, new stock springs and a set of bilsteins.
Sounds good to me! What about the front, can I just do the rears or should the rear match the front (ie: bilstein out back and decarbons front?) Thanks man
Originally Posted by Camaroking1996
Strano or BMR springs and bilstein HD shocks. Then to get the power to the ground LCA's and relocation brackets, panhard bar, and torque arm
Well I already have the panhard (slp car) and although I would love LCAs, I feel like that is not needed right now. Also, I hear that spohn torque arms etc have their own set of plagues lol, and would rather just stick with stock for right now I perhaps should have specified that I'm more interested in decent spring/shock suggestions for someone on a budget. The rest will have to wait, although those all sounds like great suggestions

Thanks again guys for your suggestions. After doing some more reading, would Konis be worth the extra doe over the bilsteins for someone like me who normally just cruises around? So stock springs will do fine with upgraded shocks?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Koni's are almost always going to be the shock of choice, but for stock springs SLP/HD bilsteins are a good secondary for those who don't want to spend the extra cash.

I do recommend changing all 4 just because those decarbons have to be pushing the end of their life cycle as is. It won't hurt to do just the rears though if the fronts are still ok, but most places do run cheap for buying all 4 at once.

As for springs, if stock height is good for you, stock springs is all you really need. Just check your rears for sagging.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

how many miles on your hawk? you can most likely use your stock springs and just buy a set of bilsteins but if you want to lower it a little than look into some springs, and at least get lca relo brackets if you lower it. but check classifieds i always see lca from $70- $140 used/new, lca brackets $40-$70 used/new, springs $150-$200, shocks i would buy new but i bought my current koni shocks/hotchkis springs, lca and phb all used from a member for $500 and everything works flawlessly gl on your descision and progress
Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, some real good ideas and info here. I don't really want to lower it after some thought, but I find the *** end is sitting low as it is. That is one of the reasons why I thought the springs were shot? Car has about 60,000 miles btw.