Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What are the options for 35mm sway bar bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What are the options for 35mm sway bar bushings?

Are there really only Energy Suspension bushings in this size for Fbodies? Does anyone still make a non-zerk fitted bushing for our application?

I noticed Prothane lists two 35mm bushings, one for Mustangs and one for Durangos... I wonder if one of those might fit.

Currently have an Energy Suspension set (with the grease fittings) on the front of the car. I have them because they were easily available. But I would rather have a set without the fittings if they still exist.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you want the ability to grease them? Or are you concerned with the bracket breaking since it has a grease fitting hole?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UMI's machined aluminum bushing sets have the zerk fittings but they look nearly bulletproof! I'd love a set if I had the extra money (or a 35mm front bar!)

Otherwise, I know Strano packages non-zerk fitting bushings with his bars, but I dont know who makes them.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

So I should have maybe been a little more clear why I asked.

I have a set of 35/22s from Strano that are something like 3.5yr old, Addco production. Whatever bushings they came with back then seemed to have fit the best. I picked Energy Suspension ones to replace them mostly because they are easy to get locally. I dunno if the ES bushings are wider or if the brackets are the cause but they are real snug against the curve of the bar. I don't think it is a major problem, and have been driving on them like that, but there is an intermittent noise from the front that I haven't been able to figure out and I am thinking it could be related to these bushings which get somewhat deformed on the outer edge. Perhaps if I tried to modify the holes in the bracket so as to move the bushings a little more towards the center it wouldn't be a problem at all, but if there was a different part that worked better I just wanted to know about it.

I am aware of the UMI part and it looks solid, but because it is solid I wonder if would be tougher to try to modify the holes to move them more towards the center if they are also snug against the curve in the bar. I am not totally concerned about the fitting on the bushing but would rather not have it just to reduce the risk and because I don't have a grease gun anyway so it doesn't do me any good (I have to grease the bushings by taking them of and putting some on them). So there is no reason for me to have the fittings. I haven't cracked the ES ones with the fittings so far but they have just been on the street and haven't been raced.

I will probably end up calling Sam Strano and asking what bushings are coming with his sets nowadays and if he can sell them separately sometime this week during business hours. But I was just thinking about the bushings while I was on here earlier and noticed there isn't much about 35mm bushings in old threads and thought I would start one and ask.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as I know, Sam sends a set of "custom" bushings with his sway bar sets; different composition than any of the widely-available bushings out there now. Talking to him about replacement bushings would be the best bet...I'm not too impressed with Energy or Prothane sway bar bushings (had them on a few different vehicles now). The lube always seems to gum up and turn into glue.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Either phone Strano, or phone Hellwig (who makes Strano's bars and bushings/brackets/endlinks)...
Old 04-20-2014, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Well my SS Strano sway front D bushings are squeaking, but my RS' SS sway Prothane ones are not and both were installed about the same time in early 2011. Why? Maybe some lubricants are better than others?

Originally Posted by Element
As far as I know, Sam sends a set of "custom" bushings with his sway bar sets; different composition than any of the widely-available bushings out there now. Talking to him about replacement bushings would be the best bet...I'm not too impressed with Energy or Prothane sway bar bushings (had them on a few different vehicles now). The lube always seems to gum up and turn into glue.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:34 PM
FormerVendor

Our Part # 0048 is a heavy duty set with machined aluminum brackets. They will work with Strano's front sway bar.

www.umiperformance.com/0048

Happy Easter!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Unhappy

^ My post was about lubricant.

Bad link I'll correct it for you: http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=465

Unfortunately, those brackets' price is over engineered at $200.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:35 PM
FormerVendor

Oops. Bad link. Here is the front set only- http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=448

There is quite a bit of machine time in each bracket. Not a cheap item to manufacture.
Attached Thumbnails What are the options for 35mm sway bar bushings?-sway-bar-bracket.jpg  

Quick Reply: What are the options for 35mm sway bar bushings?