Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do I need to turn my new iRotors ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 08:15 AM
AGL
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do I need to turn my new iRotors ?

Just recieved my new iRotors, w/zinc plating. They look real nice. I looked up iRotors web site but could'nt find any info on using the rotors right out of the box. yes or no - do they need to be turned ? Thanks
Old 03-06-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't turn drilled rotors. You can have a machine shop grind them, but there is no reason to grind new rotors. Actually, a good rotor will be ground form the manufacturer (it will have a visible grinding pattern that runs in "2 arcs" (different directions). If they can't build them "straight", I'd buy something else. So, install them straight out of the box.

Have fun!
Old 03-06-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't
Old 03-06-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trackbird. They are ground from the factory before the zinc goes on.

AGL. No need to mess with em, just bolt em on! If your old rear rotors give you flack about coming off, just get a rubber mallet and give em some really good whacks. (Dont knock it off the stands!)
Old 03-06-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just about the only preping of new rotors that i have ever heard of is getting them chemically hardened. i've never heard of turning new rotors.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:46 AM
AGL
Staging Lane

Thanks for responding. For future referance - do shops that turn rotors also grind them ?. What pads work good with these rotors ( minimal dust ).
Old 03-07-2004, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AGL
Thanks for responding. For future referance - do shops that turn rotors also grind them ?. What pads work good with these rotors ( minimal dust ).

Turning is done on a brake lathe, it cuts the rotor like a record (one cut that spirals out from the center, using a single cutting blade per side). Grinding is done by using a multi bladed cutter that spins across the surface of the disk and leaves a "swirl" pattern (like your new rotors show). Turning rotors is a way to fix warped ones or resurface a rotor for fresh pads. It's better than nothing... Grinding assures parallel surfaces and leaves a "non-directional" finish (this is important).

When you turn a rotor, you cut a pattern in it like a record. This can act as a "screw" to pull the pads into the rotor (or push them away, depending on the direction of the rotors rotation). So, you are supposed to sand a rotor with a sanding attachment (it is done several ways) to remove the spiral finish. A rotor that has been ground will not have this problem.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just put on a new set of OEM's, had Hawks and took them off, some say the dust from Hawks is the same as OEM but mine dusted.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

I thought cross drilled had to be turned on a clutch flywheel grinder...?????
Old 04-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Default cross drilleed and slotted rotors

hey all, I have a question about my rotors. I have EBC rotors, and they kind of vibrate. do you know if these can be turned. I know that brake lathe will not help for drilled rotors. I was told that flywheel grinder WILL do it. however, I have been calling hundreds of shops, and no one has such a grinder. CAN YOU HELP ME. I don't know where I can get that fixed...
Old 04-19-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AGL
Just recieved my new iRotors, w/zinc plating. They look real nice. I looked up iRotors web site but could'nt find any info on using the rotors right out of the box. yes or no - do they need to be turned ? Thanks
Don't forget the go on the car a certain way. The part number tells you what side of the car they go on. I ran into this problem when I was installing the rear, and had thrown the boxes away a month prior.