Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering springs only?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering springs only?

I want to lower my car I don't like how high it rides. If i install the eibach sportline springs only (temporary) will it hurt anything?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I assume you will still have the stock shocks? Even for a short time any lowering spring will kill the stockers. I would just wait until you have the shocks and do it one time. Depending on your luck you may need an adjustable Panhard Bar to recenter the rear once lowered. The centering of the rear is not noticeable at stock height. I bought one when I lowered mine, but the rear was fine.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for street driving on Eibach Sportlines to be fine for the stock suspension, for a little while at least. As you progress in your suspension journey UMI offers everything you need to do it right, such as the adjustable PHB like 99zee mentions. The moderately heavy sportline drop will skew your rear tires out of the stock location side-to-side,..

Good luck with your project.

ramey
Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sportlines on the DeCarbon shocks (the orange ones that came on non Bilstein cars) is usually a poor idea. Maybe out of the box, this combo would work for a while, but the DeCarbons are not happy with a limited travel and harsh rates that the nearly 2-inch drop Sportlines provide. But these aren't brand new out of the box, they have been used for at least 9 or more years they're not in the best shape - presuming you're still on the original factory shocks.

Should you choose to go with some new shocks, we have the big 3: Bilstein, Koni, and Tokico. We can even put a package together for you so you can get the most out of your car now or in the future.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 11-04-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: *spelling*
Old 11-02-2011, 12:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Sportlines in general are poor idea, only made worse by stock dampers. They are low, have little travel, which means the shocks have little travel. Shocks need travel to do their work, the less travel the more damping rate you need to compensate, and stock shocks don't have any of that either.

Can you do it? Sure. Is it a particularly wise move? No, and it's a double whammy because of the springs you are looking to run with the shocks you are looking to run.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-02-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I had sportlines for under 10k miles and they felt like ****!!! I felt every bump in the road!! It hurt my launch on the street and from a roll it seemed .. Idk don't do it.. I raised my car back to stock height and love it .. If I was to lower my car again I would prolly only go 1inch ..just IMO
Old 11-02-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put sportlines on your stock shocks, you'll want to put a gun to your head after a week of driving. Winters coming anyway, so don't cheap out. Save up, and replace your shocks and springs all at once.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

^^ lol exactly
Old 11-04-2011, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Thanks I appreciate the advice. Soo I guess I can live with the stock height I might as well wait and do it the right way. Any ideas on around how much it would cost for a lowering kit all together? Thanks fellas
Old 11-04-2011, 08:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by saucymaro
Thanks I appreciate the advice. Soo I guess I can live with the stock height I might as well wait and do it the right way. Any ideas on around how much it would cost for a lowering kit all together? Thanks fellas
We have several packages. If you're looking to do the Bilsteins HDs with our springs or Konis we can get you a great deal.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Honestly, there are details here that matter and haven't been discussed (and frankly are hard to discuss by e-mail or forum).

A proper lowering kit will vary depending on who you talk with as well. I don't feel that a lot of the stuff that others thing is necessary is truly needed. I feel that way because I managed to win a lot of SCCA National Championships in cars without LCA or bracket changes.

Suspension tuning/setup is one of the hardest things to do right and do well because the suspension is doing the most work, and the most varied work of any part of the car. EVERYTHING you do with the car the suspension has to deal with. Smooth roads, rough roads, ride, handling, getting power down, stopping. Engines only drive the car, brakes only work to slow it down. The heater only works when it's cold, the A/C when it's hot....
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Teching In

I have sportline's and didnt replace the rear shocks and I want to kill myself, deff buying them next paycheck

Quick Reply: Lowering springs only?