Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Eibachs??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibachs??

Why does Eibach use such a low spring rate in their rear springs? Really want to go Pro Kit but I keep hearing about saggy rear ends and bottoming out with Eibach Pro Kit. Assuming that is a result of the low spring rate.
Love the idea of linear springs like the Eibachs but I don't want saggy botton disease. Any opinions? Options?
Really want to get a modest lowered look and a real nice ride. Not doing any auto crossing or that type of thing. Street only.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

No workable lowering spring is going to keep you off the bumpstops.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

My opinion is that they don't "sag", but rather they sit lower than most expect. When I installed mine the rears dropped 2" and the fronts 1 1/2" (I measured before and after). This was a little low in the rear for me. It didn't look quite right on my Camaro (tends to look better on the firebirds imo). To fix this I made 1/2" spacers to fit under the springs and now I think it has the perfect stance and rides better also.

There are plenty of spring options. I like the eibachs and I think they are a quality spring. Even some nascar teams use Eibachs. But whatever springs you decide to go with, make sure you get shocks that match them.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I installed my Eibachs it appeared that my front and rear were even. It didn't sag on my car, but I have no measurements to back that up.

I never had a problem with bottoming out except for the occassional large dip when I wasn't paying attention. Once you're car is lowered, you'll learn how to drive differently and avoid most bumps and dips (if you don't do that already), so bottoming out should not be a major concern.

You might have to do what Ky said and make yourself some spacers if they don't sit right. For a daily driver these springs work very well.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ky LS1

What did you make your spacers out of and what do they look like?

They sit on the axle right?
Old 03-18-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

The F-body rear springs are pretty soft in stock form and in general Eibach Prokit springs are designed to use factory shocks and thereby maintain a factory-style ride. So, you'll usually find that Prokit springs will have a slightly higher spring rate than factory springs for any particular application, but not by much. This usually makes for a nice compromise on a lowered street car.

BTW, the Eibach rears are progressive - the fronts are linear.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by No Juice
Ky LS1

What did you make your spacers out of and what do they look like?

They sit on the axle right?
I made them from cold rolled steel, but stainless would really be the way to go, just didn't have any at the time. I made them on a lathe. Yes they sit right on the lower spring perches. They seem completely safe and work great for me but you could always tack weld them or run a bolt through the middle if you feel safer that way. I can post up a print of how to make them if anyone is interested. Easy to make if you have access to a lathe and a few hours or any machine shop could make them.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the opposite happen. i have eibachs and mine didnt lower! it went down just a tad. at first i hated it but 2 friends of mine got eibachs also and theres "sag" then once i saw the problems they were having i was so happy mine didnt lower. i love how it looks, and am very very happy that it has a stocky appearance to it. adds to intimidation.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Don't get the pro-kit, you're right the rear springs suck! My car came with the slp eibachs/bilsteins, the ride was great but the stance was too high for me. I put on the pro-kit and the rear bounced lika a pogo-stick. The car only had 20k so I know the shocks were good. If you can find some Hypercoils, go for it. It was night and day from the pro-kit. But, what absolut speed said, no lowering spring will keep you off the bump stops. Mine hits on pretty big bumps, but not even close to those crappy pro-kit rear springs. The ride height is also about exactly what the pro-kit was. Do a search, there are many topics on this.....
Old 03-24-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

The factory shocks are crap and need to be upgraded anytime you change springs, weather they have 0 or 20k miles on them, unless off course your just going to putt around and look good. If the hypercoils sit the same as the pro kits, they would be too low in the rear also. From what I've seen they sit a little higher in the rear, which would be a good thing imo. I still love my setup but I wasn't happy with the pro kits as they came. Mine very seldom bottoms out and rides great. But if I had it to do over again I would try and get ahold of some G2 springs.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

I just ordered a set of Energy Suspension 7/16" spacers or Coil Spring Isolators as they are called from Jegs for $12 I'll install those in the rears and crank up QA1's in the front and she should be good to go. Keep my fingers crossed, hope it looks good.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

KY LS1 you have mail
Old 03-25-2004, 09:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have yet to hit the bump stops on my Hotchkiss lowered
setup. A progressive spring with a higher maximum rate
will work better in this respect.

I added back about 1/2" of rear ride height with the air
shocks for looks, but even without, the rear was not
hard-bumping.