Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque arm removing and bushing replacement help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque arm removing and bushing replacement help.

Got this loud knocking noise from underneath the car under hard take off. Looks like the torque arm bushing is torn.
How hard is it to do an R&R on the torque arm??
How hard is it to replace the bushing??
Thanks.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not very hard. brace the tranny and drop the crossmember, unbolt and replace. Might want to look into a tranny mount replacement too.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I dont think ive ever seen a torque arm bushing wear out. Its probably either out of the clamshell or the bolts where it mounts to the diff are loose. If I had to guess.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt drop my trans brace. 13 or 15mm socket ,one bolt undo's the clamshell.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Removing the brace is completely unnecessary for replacing the bushing. I replaced teh whoe torque arm without touching it. Which if it is your bushing, might be a good time to think about replacing the TA. It amde a WORLD of difference on mine.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i made a small thread about doing the clam-shell a different way, dunno how to link but search in this section for "bmr torque arm , new pix how to install". it was aftermarket arm, but may help you. i bolted the mount together first, then greased the bushing and slid it/pounded it in; was easier than holding it shut and trying to tighten three bolts you can barely see...
Old 01-26-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and +1 on the world of difference, other than shocks it was the one suspension improvement that i felt the most change
Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rabbit320
and +1 on the world of difference, other than shocks it was the one suspension improvement that i felt the most change
I never got why LCAs get all the attention and torque arm replacement is overlooked. LCAs didnt do a thing for my wheel hop or noticable performance, but MAN! My UMI torque arm completely changed the way the car drives. If I ever get another F-Body, it'll be one of the first things I do.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chevystyle
Got this loud knocking noise from underneath the car under hard take off. Looks like the torque arm bushing is torn.
Thanks.
Before you got set on the torque arm bushing I would check the transmission mount real closely also. It can have the same symptoms you are having. It isn't too bad to do the bushing. You just need to get the bolts out of the transmission crossmember and lower it down a bit, loosen the torque arm mount up and slide it off the tailsaft housing. Once you get it off you will either need to chisel or grind the rivets off for the factory rubber bushing so you can get the factory rubber bushing off the torque arm mount and get the aftermarket one piece poly-urethane bushing to fit properly.

Originally Posted by ss1129
I dont think ive ever seen a torque arm bushing wear out. Its probably either out of the clamshell or the bolts where it mounts to the diff are loose. If I had to guess.
The factory torque arm bushings do wear out from time to time, it will crack and break and allow the torque arm to have up and down movement in the bushing. I have also seen guys destroy the torque arm mount which will create noises also. I have seen that top mounting bolt on the torque arm mount come out also which allows the torque arm to come out of the mount and hit the body of the car. If this happens you will definitely know because it will mkae crazy noise and generally does some damage.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by chevystyle
Thanks.
Hey chevystyle. Lots of good advice above.

If you do any sort of hard driving you may want to look at a relocation kit to get that torque arm off the tailhousing. If it's worn or loose, it may have been pounding around awhile.

ramey
Old 10-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Hey guys..I actually made a video on how to replace a torque arm bushing..Also check out my channel (klowny1969) for more camaro and firebird related vids..thanks

Old 10-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Klowny1969
Hey guys..I actually made a video on how to replace a torque arm bushing..Also check out my channel (klowny1969) for more camaro and firebird related vids..thanks

http://youtu.be/Rwuud-ODQ0k
Hahaaa... got to love the video warning ... BE VERY CAREFULLY DOING THIS CAUSE THE CAR COULD COME OFF THE BLOCKS AND KILL YOU.

... good advice sir.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To avoid potential damage, all of you who are putting down more power than stock should consider moving the torque arm off the transmission tailshaft, especially if your car visits the strip. I bought the UMI unit for this purpose -- MUCH better idea than just replacing the mount, IMHO.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=203

UMI Torque Arm relocation, A4

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 10-25-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:54 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
To avoid potential damage, all of you who are putting down more power than stock should consider moving the torque arm off the transmission tailshaft, especially if your car visits the strip. I bought the UMI unit for this purpose -- MUCH better idea than just replacing the mount, IMHO.
Agreed 1000%

The money is MUCH BETTER SPENT taking the TA off the tail housing of the Trans.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had mine installed yesterday after having multiple problems with the OEM mounts, and my car is still only bolt-ons. I still have some rear-end noise issues to deal with and am still trying to find the root cause of a vibration I had even before this new trans mount/torque arm relocation w/poly bushing.

Still using the OEM torque arm for now, but wondering an adjustable full length aftermarket unit would help in my vibration issue squashing by allowing pinion angle adjustments, but I am not lowered.

Looks like I need new bearings in the rear along with a new ring gear & pinion, also have a pinion seal leak, TBD.

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Agreed 1000%

The money is MUCH BETTER SPENT taking the TA off the tail housing of the Trans.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Great vid Klowny...Will be changing mine on the WS6 this weekend

Quick Reply: Torque arm removing and bushing replacement help.