Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What it'll take to lower my Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What it'll take to lower my Camaro

Wanting a 1.25-1.5" drop, I have 17" wheel with 315 Nitto with stock suspension. Not wanting to spend a ton, and I don't plan on doing shocks at this time. Not really shooting for a perfectly smooth ride either.

I want to make sure I know and have everything before I attempt to lower it, don't want any surprises.

Seen some 1.5" lowering springs on ebay for around 100 shipped. Any experience with those?

What should I expect to buy to lower the car? Springs, Adjustable Panhard Bar, LCA/Brackets?

I'll be needing an alignment, how much do those usually run?

I'm new to suspension modding so any help would be appreciated. Thanks Guys
Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Arctic_Z
Wanting a 1.25-1.5" drop, I have 17" wheel with 315 Nitto with stock suspension. Not wanting to spend a ton, and I don't plan on doing shocks at this time. Not really shooting for a perfectly smooth ride either.

I want to make sure I know and have everything before I attempt to lower it, don't want any surprises.

Seen some 1.5" lowering springs on ebay for around 100 shipped. Any experience with those?

What should I expect to buy to lower the car? Springs, Adjustable Panhard Bar, LCA/Brackets?

Hey Arctic_Z.

I'd use Strano SP141's and a UMI adjustable PHB to center the 315's.

You don't NEED LCA's but they help. Relocation brackets are a medium NEED as you don't want to have the control arms pointing up toward the rear after lowering. Of course you can skip them if you're just daily driving. They're easy to add if traction disappears.

ramey
Old 03-09-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Strano or BMR springs will get you the height you want. A UMI single adj. panhard bar is a cheap/effective way to center the rear end after lowering. These parts are what I would consider a proper basic lowering.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

To cover all the bases here, you will need lowering springs and an adjustable panhard bar. Lower control arm relocations are a good idea if you think you're going to be drag racing the car or you're looking to prevent wheelhop if you already have it. The panhard bar will allow you to shorten its length to draw the rearend back into the correct position under the car. Shocks are highly recommended when you use lowering springs.

Avoid springs without a name brand or undisclosed spring specifications. Not all springs are created equal.

A GOOD four wheel alignment should cost between $65-85. Since there is no alignment on the rear of these cars, you can usually get our for $55-75.

- Kevin

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to answer them for you.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Oh...and with 315s you may need to bring out the BFH...I had to on my 315 setup on my Trans Am and 325s on my SS.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Oh...and with 315s you may need to bring out the BFH...I had to on my 315 setup on my Trans Am and 325s on my SS.
Kevin will this car be there tonight when I pick up my springs?

Jon
Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strano springs are the best. Do not use ebay springs. Replacing the stock shocks with a set of Konis or Bilsteins at the same time would be a good idea. The stock shocks are inadequate for the stock springs much less lowering springs.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2000 TAWS6
Kevin will this car be there tonight when I pick up my springs?

Jon
No sir. My SS was sold and totaled. My T/A was sold and destroyed by the new owner. I gave my other T/A back to my friend who let me keep it for a year to have some fun with in the magazines. haha Now I have a GTO only. One of our guys has a WS6 with 18-inch 295 Z06 wheels in the parking lot though.

I'll give you a little tour today, Jon.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I urge you to save your pennies and buy shocks. If you lower your car on stock shocks you will hate your life. If shocks aren't in your budget right now, buy all of the other stuff and put it in your closet or something. Then buy shocks when you have the moneys. You will be a lot more satisfied when you have something that looks good and handles good.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've thought about it some and it would probaby be a good idea to just go ahead and do the shocks now like some of you said. I looked at the Strano SP141 lowering springs with the 1.2" drop. Also looked at the Bilstein Shocks from there, I noticed the SLP shock set was cheaper than the HD set.. What's the difference?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've thought about it some and it would probaby be a good idea to just go ahead and do the shocks now like some of you said. I looked at the Strano SP141 lowering springs with the 1.2" drop. Also looked at the Bilstein Shocks from there, I noticed the SLP shock set was cheaper than the HD set.. What's the difference?
According to Bilstein, there is absolutely no difference and they are the same part number. That is today. A few years ago when they were ordered for the SLP cars, they were just a touch softer than the HD shocks. So they are currently the same shock, according to Bilstein, the people who make them. SLP still says they are a different shock and they are listed as a different part on some sites. In other words, just get the SLP shocks and you'll have the same thing. haha
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are on a budget, do the heater hose mod ($20).
It works on rear of the car only but makes a better appearence.

Changing rear springs are easy , but putting ebay no spec/brand name springs will require you to removing the front shocks, reinstall & alignment.
Most likely you won't be happy visually or ride comfort or HANDLING (biggest reason you want to change from stock suspesion).

IMO

The best way to go about doing your suspension is:
Figure out what size wheel/tire combo you want to use.
THEN choose your shocks/ lowering springs.

Then figure out all the supporting mods like Rear LCA's, PHB, SFCs or BFH to make your tires fit once you are lowered.

Quick Reply: What it'll take to lower my Camaro