Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

adjusting koni for auto X

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default adjusting koni for auto X

Just finished my setup and did my first Auto X event this last weekend. Here's my setup and then a few questions.
Koni 4/4 with strano springs and sway bars
UMI Torque arm, sfc, and lca.

Specifically I'm looking to hear where most people are setting their konis for track. I had them set 4 sweeps from soft in front and 1/2 turn from soft in rear. Didn't really have time to play with it too much to feel on my own so I was wanting to hear other's preferences and I'll play with it more next time.

Where do most set camber and toe? and is there such thing as a middle ground for street/track?

Also, I'm hooked now.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STFU racing
Just finished my setup and did my first Auto X event this last weekend. Here's my setup and then a few questions.
Koni 4/4 with strano springs and sway bars
UMI Torque arm, sfc, and lca.

Specifically I'm looking to hear where most people are setting their konis for track. I had them set 4 sweeps from soft in front and 1/2 turn from soft in rear. Didn't really have time to play with it too much to feel on my own so I was wanting to hear other's preferences and I'll play with it more next time.

Where do most set camber and toe? and is there such thing as a middle ground for street/track?

Also, I'm hooked now.
Glad you're hooked and glad you have UMI/Strano/Koni on your car. That's a great start.

How did your car work? How was the balance? It's great you have your settings written down because you can write down your driver notes and then make adjustments (if necessary) then compare notes.

Did you buy from Sam recently? Did you ask him about which baseline settings he recommends?

ramey
Old 03-12-2012, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

car felt good. It had a lot of push but I figure most of that was due to inexperience and the need for some better tires on the front.
Yeah, Just got my springs in when he got them in mid feb. Just did the whole install and the settings I mentioned was where he told me to start off.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

The alignment will help your car, but the perfect camber setting won't tune out your car from pushing. Slowing down earlier and smoother, turn smoother and earlier has helped me dial out most of my oversteering problems.

Are there any test and tune or driving school events local to you? The best one you can take is the EVO. Though if you have some good local drivers who setup their own school like the Boston BMW club is around here, then you can get a good bang for your buck. EvO phase 1 is a perfect way for brand new drivers to start out. I took phase 1 after 3 years of driving and I felt like I knew most of the stuff by that point.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STFU racing
car felt good. It had a lot of push but I figure most of that was due to inexperience and the need for some better tires on the front.
Yeah, Just got my springs in when he got them in mid feb. Just did the whole install and the settings I mentioned was where he told me to start off.
Do you know your alignment settings? Are they factory? One half degree additional negative camber and toe straight up or slightly out helps stick the front a tiny but more.

And I agree with Z28Bryan, seat time combined with proper instruction is critical.

I'm curious to hear about others' damper settings as well. We don't have a Koni car at the moment so I'm learning just as much as the rest of the gang.

ramey
Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

I hope you are happy with the suspension. For now, just drive it and let's not worry about the shock settings. Though they aren't that far off what I ran anyway. But tires, and lots of things will effect what settings you ultimately run.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-13-2012, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Well thanks for the info. What I ran this weekend was a test and tune. The actual event got rained out. I managed to get around 12 runs throughout the day. I was able to shave about 8 seconds off my time from my first real run.

Suspension feels good. Saw some pictures someone took and appeared to have minimum body roll. I definitely felt seated. Now I just need more seat time. Car needs an alignment. Before I redid the whole suspension I think it had 150k on stock suspension. Need to change tie rods etc over time.

Any other tips are appreciated. Like I said I'm hooked and can't wait for next event
Old 03-13-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Too bad you didn't get a chance to see what the suspension was like before the strano/koni. When you test the difference on an autox course between stock/stock to strano/koni it's quite an eye opener.

Quick Reply: adjusting koni for auto X