Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

time for new rotors...again

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default time for new rotors...again

well i am getting some shaking when i hit the brakes and i got a feeling my rotors are warped. i am on my second set of rotoworks slotted rotors from ws6 store. i cant seem to get more than 2yrs or so of street driving out of them. is that normal for a set of rotor? i feel like i should be getting more. i have run hawk hps pads and a set of hawk ceramics.
my z28 is a daily driver and she has some miles on her. any recomendations on a better replacement set without dropping a lot of coin? or are those ok. i am wondering if i am in need of front suspension bushings and such maybee if its loose and warping rotors fater.
thanks for any input.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Do you torque the lug nuts properly every time you take off a wheel? Or do you just hit it with an air gun. That can cause warping.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

i always change wheels with hand tools.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigti99a
well i am getting some shaking when i hit the brakes and i got a feeling my rotors are warped. i am on my second set of rotoworks slotted rotors from ws6 store. i cant seem to get more than 2yrs or so of street driving out of them. is that normal for a set of rotor? i feel like i should be getting more. i have run hawk hps pads and a set of hawk ceramics.
my z28 is a daily driver and she has some miles on her. any recomendations on a better replacement set without dropping a lot of coin? or are those ok. i am wondering if i am in need of front suspension bushings and such maybee if its loose and warping rotors fater.
thanks for any input.
This doesn't fall into the "not a lot of coin" category but they are a great value.

http://www.frozenrotors.com/markets/street/

ps I have no affiliation, just like their technology.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah thats a little more than i was looking to spend. how long are others getting out of rotors they put 15k miles on a year or so.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

have u looked at R1 concepts. i got front and rear x-drilled and theyre doing good. fronts are the ZO6 14" cuz i got the cts-v 4 piston brembos up front. and theyre doing good. i know for plain fronts are 60 something for the pair. and i believe theyre a sponsor on here as well.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i will look into them. i just hate having to replace rotors every 2yrs. but as with most things you get what you pay for.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you hate replacing your rotors every two years, go with a big name company with extensive racing support. Buying cheap rotors means cheap materials...sometimes there is a diamond in the rough, but that's typically not the case. I race with DBA two-piece rotors, but their one-piece rotors are excellent quality. I also use PowerSlot and have been extremely impressed with their increased quality since coming under the wing of Centric Brake Parts (StopTech). But brands like Brembo, Willwood, AP Racing, Performance Friction, DBA, StopTech, and Endless - among many others - make well-engineered products made with high-end iron metallurgy.

JMO,
Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I've seen no mention of greasing pins in this thread. I warped rotors like a bandit in these cars until I learned of pins freezing in the calipers. Now I clean and grease them anytime I have the calipers off. haven't warped rotors since 2008.

If you don't already do this, replace your rotors and grease your pins anytime you take your calipers off.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i have definately pulled the pins and rubber covers off and rubber the pins down with grease. i even got refurb'd front calipers 2yrs ago to see if it would make a difference. i just think the rotors are cheap. i was just looking for a little better product without double the cost or more.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Launching!

i always change wheels with hand tools.
Do you use a torque wrench? It might seem a bit overkill but it does make a difference.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

yeah i have definately pulled the pins and rubber covers off and rubber the pins down with grease. i even got refurb'd front calipers 2yrs ago to see if it would make a difference. i just think the rotors are cheap. i was just looking for a little better product without double the cost or more.
10-4. I'd be interested to hear if you find a superior rotor for a decent price, but only time will tell. Let us know what you decide on, and good luck!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

no i dont use a torque wrench. i dont have one. i just kinda do it by feel.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No complaints from my $25 a piece raybestos rotors from rock auto. I got my track set hot enough to add some heat rings to them, and I'm on my 2nd set of hps pads on my street set. Not sure if them being C5 rotors has any effect on it.

Quick Reply: time for new rotors...again