Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

driveshaft loop for all!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Z28
Doesn't NHRA rule book say within 8 inches of U joint?
I don't know....for me I want both ends supported. 100% street car.

NHRA people making the FRONT loop rule are pretty stupid people. They need to make the loop sit in a position forward of the REAR u-joint equal to the height that u-joint is above the ground MINUS 1" rearward. So if the height from the ground to the u-joint is 12", loop should sit at 11". Because if the u-joint is 12" above the ground and then the DS breaks at the 12" point, and the loop is at the 13" point.....the DS can now fall to the ground and touch it and launch the car into the air.

A REAR loop at the 11" point would keep the broken 12" piece from hitting the ground. A 10" long piece remaining in the rear would fall free of the loop, but its not going to hit the ground. Like mine did, it will beat the hell out of things as it spins around though.

Gotta have a FRONT loop as well to make it totally safe. Because a 3 foot long piece of DS falling free of the tranny tail housing could also get caught up on its way out and launch the car.....

Best thing would be some kind of cradle so any broken pieces are caught and never hit the ground.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had to cut my mwc driveshaft loop and reweld it to fit better. if you look at the pic you can see the loop is not centered. the piece coming off the loop on the drivers side is too "square". it didn't fit nicely i shortened it a little and made it more of a curve so it hugged the tunnel better and also centered the loop better with the driveshaft.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

I just installed one - the fit is pretty good but I had to grind a bunch out of the pass. side to clear my ARH Y-pipe.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is not much clearance between the torque arm and driveshaft to begin with, so we have it setup to be a happy medium. I have considered adding a bend to the bottom of the passenger side for just that extras little bit of clearance that some exhaust systems may need.

We have 100s of these driveshaft loops out there and just a few have had any clearance problems. Considering the design(compared to all the other ground draggers) that's a pretty good success rate. MWC is fully capable of doing alterations or custom mods to suit anyone's specific needs... we are a chassis shop, not a parts production shop!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssvert99
There is not much clearance between the torque arm and driveshaft to begin with, so we have it setup to be a happy medium. I have considered adding a bend to the bottom of the passenger side for just that extras little bit of clearance that some exhaust systems may need.

We have 100s of these driveshaft loops out there and just a few have had any clearance problems. Considering the design(compared to all the other ground draggers) that's a pretty good success rate. MWC is fully capable of doing alterations or custom mods to suit anyone's specific needs... we are a chassis shop, not a parts production shop!
Don't take my post the wrong way - I totally understand that you can't make a part that will clear all possible setups on everybody's different cars, it is a good design and a nice piece.

I do think you could make it hug the tunnel on the passenger's side at the bottom a little better for more exhaust clearance, though... I'll snap a pic of mine tonight if I can get decent lighting under there...
Old 04-20-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

+1 - its a nice piece. my comment was just to let people know you may have to tweak it a bit, although i would like to see the first pic without the torque arm in the way so that driver side bend could be shown. i did rebend the passenger side a bit for better fitment also. note the pics show the brake lines moved out of the regular holders and zip tied underneath. i had flipped the bracket to move the lines up into the tunnel higher so i had to tweak for that also. i should have taken a pic of mine before hooking the TA back up and putting the exhaust on!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I send you a message asking a question... Then found this.

I will be giving you a call on Monday.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have MWC 9" with long TA and PST 3.5" as-shipped the loop was a bit out of round and didnt line up perfectly, it was a touch off center and scraped the ds a bit.

It took about an hour of hard-core man-handling with various pry bars, blocks of wood, and a vice. . .but it fits perfectly now...doesnt scrape when the rear is hanging or when fully compressed...I am very satisfied with it.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

I'm interested to see more pictures of this Driveshaft Safety loop installed!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

Looks way better than my SLP! I thinks me needs me one!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Trannys on the ground and the exhaust is hanging but you get the idea:

Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
Trannys on the ground and the exhaust is hanging but you get the idea:

Looks good. Is that a MWC TA?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 AM
TECH Resident

Yup, mwc long arm...thing is a welders masterpiece.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Yup, mwc long arm...thing is a welders masterpiece.
Rabid,

How long have you had that arm? The reason I ask, is 8 days ago Eric e-mailed me that they wont available for a few weeks. You also got the relocation bracket I assume? How about his SFC's are you using them also?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:58 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

He has one of our fabricated 9" rearends that includes that style of torque arm... completely different than the torque arms for oem type mounting.

The oem type mounting full length arms are a couple weeks out yet.

For any others interested in the MWC driveshaft loop we now are in a revised design that has a bit more exhaust clearance on the passenger side support. Loops are on the shelf and ready to ship!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

He has one of our fabricated 9" rearends that includes that style of torque arm... completely different than the torque arms for oem type mounting.

For any others interested in the MWC driveshaft loop we now are in a revised design that has a bit more exhaust clearance on the passenger side support. Loops are on the shelf and ready to ship!
Oh, so if I get the OEM type, it will not fit your fab 9 later?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Rabid,

How long have you had that arm? The reason I ask, is 8 days ago Eric e-mailed me that they wont available for a few weeks. You also got the relocation bracket I assume? How about his SFC's are you using them also?
My sfcs are actually the old heavy slp boxed 3pts. Fit just fine with the loop. Even had a spohn tunnel brace down their too, but that pos hung lower than an old dog's nuts.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you center the loop better on this design? can I exchange the one I purchased about a month ago if it is? my 3.5" pst driveshaft will not clear it on the drivers side of the loop.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
did you center the loop better on this design? can I exchange the one I purchased about a month ago if it is? my 3.5" pst driveshaft will not clear it on the drivers side of the loop.
You got a pic? I have a pst 3.5" and yeah I had to bend on her pretty hard but it fits perfectly now. Pry bars, blocks of wood, and just like prom give her the old in-out a few times. Youll get it, its not like were talking about precision stuff here, its a loop.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

You got a pic? I have a pst 3.5" and yeah I had to bend on her pretty hard but it fits perfectly now. Pry bars, blocks of wood, and just like prom give her the old in-out a few times. Youll get it, its not like were talking about precision stuff here, its a loop.
you were right! I used a block of wood and a pry bar to tweek the loop in to the correct position. it's perfect now! thanks!

Quick Reply: driveshaft loop for all!