Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

line lock switch location with manual trans

Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default line lock switch location with manual trans

where is everyone putting the momentary switch for the line lock if you are running a manual trans? trying to limit the acrobatics needed to hold the switch, grab the wheel, and also shift into 2nd. or do most just start the burnout in 2nd?. prefer not to have it on the shifter.

pics?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

I dont have one but I always thought it would be cool if you could wire it into the steering wheel radio controls,stealth and within easy reach! just a suggestion..
Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ash tray switch panel or where the cubby/TCS plate is in front of the shifter are the most common places easily within reach.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM
paq
Staging Lane

I now use the fog light button since i've removed then
Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

on the kick panel , put the car in 2nd and dump clutch then flick switch off and keep your foot into it for a nice long burnout too .
Old 04-17-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine was a micro momentary push-button switch that I installed in my Billet ****. Had an arming switch in the center console (ashtray), then the trigger in the ****. The button for the switch was about 1/2 the diameter of a pencil recessed in a contoured hole.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
Mine was a micro momentary push-button switch that I installed in my Billet ****. Had an arming switch in the center console (ashtray), then the trigger in the ****. The button for the switch was about 1/2 the diameter of a pencil recessed in a contoured hole.
Do you have any pictures of the momentary switch in the ****? That sounds interesting. Did you run the wire for it inside the shifter or down the outside?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Get the hurst shift **** with the button on the side and wire the line lock into that button.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think there is a company that has a switch on a spiral cord that velcros to the steering wheel with a momentary switch for when you need it. When you don't you just store the cord.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ICRAZY6
I think there is a company that has a switch on a spiral cord that velcros to the steering wheel with a momentary switch for when you need it. When you don't you just store the cord.
i like this idea alot. actually would like to install a female connector permanently and then have a corded momentary switch with a male end that i can plug in when i need it. either could hold it in my hand or velcro it to the shifter. hmm.

anybody use a spiral corded momentary switch or have a source for one?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mterveen
where is everyone putting the momentary switch for the line lock if you are running a manual trans? trying to limit the acrobatics needed to hold the switch, grab the wheel, and also shift into 2nd. or do most just start the burnout in 2nd?. prefer not to have it on the shifter.

pics?
I am in the process of installing my LL now. Activation will be with an EmblemPros ashtray switch plate (at the bottom of the photo). The bottom two buttons are for the LL ... the left is an on/off switch w/red LED and the right is a momentary switch. The top row is an on/off for my 2-Step and I will be replacing the right switch with a green light indicating the 2-Step is active. Also don't shift during your burnout ... start the burnout in 2nd and save your transmission. When you rollout, be sure to push your clutch in before your tires get traction again saving your transmission.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Launching!

This is how i did it. Went thru the horn button.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EspYoMxhTuQ

His wiring diagram
http://www.myspace.com/537752735/photos/1909617
Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

that's another great idea. need to hunt down a 2001 underhood wiring diagram.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a switch plate made for the ash tray, and wired everything up myself:

The "Arm" switch would light up when the circuit was active, and the "Engage" switch was a momentary rocker. When you pushed the momentary down, the LED would light up indicating that power was actually going to the line lock solenoid. If the arm switch wasn't on, the momentary would do nothing...I didn't want the circuit activating on accident.

The car is obviously long gone at this point, but it should give you an idea.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I had a switch plate made for the ash tray, and wired everything up myself:

The "Arm" switch would light up when the circuit was active, and the "Engage" switch was a momentary rocker. When you pushed the momentary down, the LED would light up indicating that power was actually going to the line lock solenoid. If the arm switch wasn't on, the momentary would do nothing...I didn't want the circuit activating on accident.

The car is obviously long gone at this point, but it should give you an idea.
Similar to mine only I added switches for the 2-Step and I plan to replace my LED rockers with lighted rockers ... better visibility.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

hey brian, i like the idea of putting the 2-step on an on/off button. how did you wire that up? im ordering my 2-step in a few weeks, im going with the lingenfeltre, i like the igition cut out it does between shifts.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

I did something very similar to the guys a couple up. Initially wanted to do a couple "pedestal rocker switch" like want you see for nitrous systems with carbon fiber safety covers, then realized there wasn't enough room. Made my own switchplate and added the LED rocker switch to activate and a momentary button. The picture is when I just mocked up the installation, now the ashtray light has been disconnected....
Attached Thumbnails line lock switch location with manual trans-img_0942.jpg  
Old 04-21-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

i SUCK at wiring. , my wiring for my gauges, was terrible, im glad no one can see it lol.... i get too impatient, and its very tedious... hate it.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

decided to go the horn route. bought a 30 amp relay and a small red lighted round rocker switch i'll mount on the lower kick panel where my fan switch already is. thanks for all the great ideas.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by allout06
hey brian, i like the idea of putting the 2-step on an on/off button. how did you wire that up? im ordering my 2-step in a few weeks, im going with the lingenfeltre, i like the igition cut out it does between shifts.
I didn't go with the Lingenfelter because all of the problems other members have posted here (do a search). I went with the MSD which was quite a bit cheaper and I didn't like the idea of it coming on while running down the track.

As far as the on/off rocker, the MSD is a single wire to activate so I ran the single wire to my ashtray switch plate on/off rocker then another wire back to the clutch switch. It works like a charm. I have read the Lingenfelter is plug n play and I am not sure how the Lingenfelter is wired, but I imagine you could do something similar, but you may have to splice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: line lock switch location with manual trans