Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

K member and a arms ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K member and a arms ??

Do they really they help other than weight?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Launching!

I was just gonna ask this too. Anyone done A-Arms on a street car? If so how'd it do after?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

I am sure it is rougher
Old 04-22-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

I got PA Racing k-member and UMI upper and lower a arms. I really didn't notice that much of a difference. If i did it over again. I would only do the k-member. I just didn't find what you pay for the a arms that beneficial. Now for a car on the strip and looking for every little bit of weight savings it prolly is beneficial or for a auto cross car. But a daily driver I'd stick with the stock stuff.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Launching!

I think the main benefit (although I can certainly be wrong, please correct me if so) in doing A-arms is if you have a lowered car, you can get A-arms that have elongated alignment slots so that you can actually put the car at the correct alignment specs. I forget which one specifically won't quite get there with a lowered car (caster I think, but might be camber).

Like Choppers mentioned, probably not a big help, but if you drive a lot it may improve tire wear?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Look at the design on the stock arms....The front bushing is horizontal (left to right) and the rear bushing is vertical (up and down). The rear bushing rear limits up/down movement because of the design of the arm. It is designed that way to keep the arm from collapsing rearward under load (pothole etc). When you switch to an aftermarket arm that has a free moving joint there instead of a bushing it frees up the up/down arm movement during driving. That's good for weight transfer in drag racing and for articulation in road racing as well. Win/win.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

not meaning to hijack thread, but also had a question or two........o and for the op, another thing people like aftermarket k frames for is it clears up some room for headers, and makes it much easier to work on the car and access things from underneath.....now my question is, will it do any harm if you only do street driving? i kinda like the idea of beingable to work underneath it a little easier? also, is the stock k member "stronger" than an aftermarket k member?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Stock k member is definitely stronger.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Look at the design on the stock arms....The front bushing is horizontal (left to right) and the rear bushing is vertical (up and down). The rear bushing rear limits up/down movement because of the design of the arm. It is designed that way to keep the arm from collapsing rearward under load (pothole etc). When you switch to an aftermarket arm that has a free moving joint there instead of a bushing it frees up the up/down arm movement during driving. That's good for weight transfer in drag racing and for articulation in road racing as well. Win/win.
This is a good explanation for the benefits of an aftermarket tubular a-arm.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Other vehicles have both lower arm bushings horizontal and seem to be fine

The fbody bushings always confused me with the one horizontal and one vertical. It does limit what you can do with it.

I was thinking of maybe getting some UMI lowers with a roto joint to help with the range of movement. I'm not a fan of rod ends for a DD, roto joints seem to be a good happy medium from all that I can tell. I figure before I buy any suspension items however I may give Sam a call just to go over my ideas and make sure I'm on the right track.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Other vehicles have both lower arm bushings horizontal and seem to be fine

The fbody bushings always confused me with the one horizontal and one vertical. It does limit what you can do with it.

I was thinking of maybe getting some UMI lowers with a roto joint to help with the range of movement. I'm not a fan of rod ends for a DD, roto joints seem to be a good happy medium from all that I can tell. I figure before I buy any suspension items however I may give Sam a call just to go over my ideas and make sure I'm on the right track.

if i dont see any improvement i won't be too bummed...LOOK how cool this Sh*t is!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Old 04-23-2012, 08:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main benefits of a k-member and a-arms is (1) weight reduction (2) getting much better bushings in them and (3) increased clearance and adjustability. The stock stuff is pretty strong by design. A leading manufacturers k-member and arms offer adequate strength at 30-ish lbs less.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
The main benefits of a k-member and a-arms is (1) weight reduction (2) getting much better bushings in them and (3) increased clearance and adjustability. The stock stuff is pretty strong by design. A leading manufacturers k-member and arms offer adequate strength at 30-ish lbs less.
Indeed.

If you're not going to track your car and cannot justify the price of the parts for weight reduction, then don't worry about not installing them or feel pressured into buying a part just because it's available for the car.

These parts were designed and built for racers looking to shave weight while maintaining excellent strength to one of the most crucial areas of the car - the front subframe and engine cradle. Reducing weight in the A-arms helps with handling and suspension response because it's unsprung weight. Overall, they provide a performance benefit that many appreciate. It's not going to be a seat of the pants benefit like swaybars or shocks - which offer instant gratification - but something you can see each lap around a road course or through the steering wheel...or at the track with vehicle weight transfer and a reduction in your short times that translate into quicker times.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:48 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeless2bNY
if i dont see any improvement i won't be too bummed...LOOK how cool this Sh*t is!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Man, that **** DOES look pretty cool......

Quick Reply: K member and a arms ??