Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best and strongest subframe connectors ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best and strongest subframe connectors ?

Wich subframe connectors are you guys using ?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SLP bolt ins, then they were welded in.......forever!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

i went with umi's 3 point sfc's weld in off course.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

umi 3 point bolt ins no welder here
Old 05-16-2012, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by +badss+
i went with umi's 3 point sfc's weld in off course.
Originally Posted by lsmaxxed
umi 3 point bolt ins no welder here
I'm going to add these two comments together and be the deal breaker.... Bolt in UMI 3 point and later get the welded in. I hope you see what I did there. In all seriousness it's the best way because you can get it spot on with the bolts instead of messing with the weld on ones (before you weld them on).
Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Be careful of what is advertised as a subframe connector and what a subframe connector really is. If it bolts to the side of LCA bracket it is nowhere near the actual rear subframe of the chassis. SFCs that bolt to the LCA bracket and run alongside the rocker panel are most likely doing nothing for the car but adding weight. If you look at how the chassis is constructed in the LCA box area you will recognize that the box is only attached to the subframe by a few spot welds and is located 3 inches away from the actual rear subframe of the car.

This is the reason why MWC offers a "true subframe connector" that is doing the job it is intended to: connect the subframes, not connect the lca box to the side of the front subframe.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

Midwest chassis all the way^^^ the only true subframe on the market. Top quality and a great company
Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Seeing that we have many customer cars in the 7s, 8s, 9s, 10s, 11s all wearing our two point weld-in subframe connectors, I can confidently say that ours are extremely strong and will hold up to any abuse you may throw at them because they've probably been through more than you'll ever put them through.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got tubular BMR connectors that are welded in. They are awesome and the red powdercoat matched perfect!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Global West
Old 05-16-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Be careful of what is advertised as a subframe connector and what a subframe connector really is. If it bolts to the side of LCA bracket it is nowhere near the actual rear subframe of the chassis. SFCs that bolt to the LCA bracket and run alongside the rocker panel are most likely doing nothing for the car but adding weight. If you look at how the chassis is constructed in the LCA box area you will recognize that the box is only attached to the subframe by a few spot welds and is located 3 inches away from the actual rear subframe of the car.

This is the reason why MWC offers a "true subframe connector" that is doing the job it is intended to: connect the subframes, not connect the lca box to the side of the front subframe.
Do you have any more photos of these? I went on the website and couldnt really tell where they were installed in the underbody picture.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

another vote for Midwest Chassis

pics here - https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...t-chassis.html
Old 05-16-2012, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

From what iv seen MWC kicks ***.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:01 PM
FormerVendor

Even though the definition of a true subframe connector would be that something connects two subframes, it's obvious that ensuring the location of the LCA mount vs the front subframe is beneficial. Combine that with additional bracing at the tunnel mount area and you end up with a customer-satisfying situation. Also, the common practice of LCA bracket SFC mounting prevents quarter panel buckling and t-top issues so obviously they're effective.

Ramey
Old 05-16-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wink

Thanks for the useful input.

However, I would think the ideal would be to weld at the rear subframe, and connect to the LCA brackets thereby adding rigidity to that point as well, no?!

Old 05-16-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question

So why not fully perfect the design and do BOTH?!

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Even though the definition of a true subframe connector would be that something connects two subframes, it's obvious that ensuring the location of the LCA mount vs the front subframe is beneficial. Combine that with additional bracing at the tunnel mount area and you end up with a customer-satisfying situation. Also, the common practice of LCA bracket SFC mounting prevents quarter panel buckling and t-top issues so obviously they're effective.

Ramey
Old 05-16-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Well, the tubular ones work just fine..
Unless you plan to jump the car..then you might need more...
Old 05-17-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You make a good point on connecting the subframes, but I'm not so sure that is (a) that important, or (b) necessarily the best solution. There is a lot more stress and force placed on the control arms (and mounts) than on the end of the subframe. Think about the stresses introduced by a hard launch or acceleration and where it would be beneficial to move those stresses.

Not saying your method is bad, just that there may be methods that are better...or at least as good.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Hey I'm new here and I tried posting this once and I dnt think it worked but I run a hard top that is totally stock how soon into my build should I worry about installing sfc's
Old 05-17-2012, 11:21 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
You make a good point on connecting the subframes, but I'm not so sure that is (a) that important, or (b) necessarily the best solution. There is a lot more stress and force placed on the control arms (and mounts) than on the end of the subframe. Think about the stresses introduced by a hard launch or acceleration and where it would be beneficial to move those stresses.

Not saying your method is bad, just that there may be methods that are better...or at least as good.

When it comes to actually connecting the "frames" of the unibody car there is no debate, and the LCA mount is nowhere near the subframe in the rear. Then you add a piece farther away from the subframe??? And then call it a "subframe connector"???

There are 7 second cars cars making in excess of 2000hp with factory, unbraced lca mounts on the chassis, and have been for years. The lca mount is plenty strong for what it does.

These cars are totally different in that area than the Mustangs, which at least uses the side of the subframe for a part of the LCA mount. Their other side was kind of a joke with the common torque box destruction, but that is easily remedied. The lca mount on the 82-02 f-body car is not even the same piece of metal as the subframe, so when it comes to the intended and advertised purpose of connecting the subframes, why would you use the lca mount?

If you want to get the subframes tied together and really do it right, then the thru-floor type are the best, and that is not an issue that can be argued.

Quick Reply: Best and strongest subframe connectors ?