Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Quick question please help on konis!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was wondering how much to tighten the top nut on the spring shock combo. I have it tightened so that there is about three threads showing on both of the fronts, is this good?

Is three threads on each of thr front good??
Old 07-05-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use spring compressors and compress the springs to take the tension off the top nut, then tighten it down. I think I have 1/4 -1/2" above the top nut, can't really recall. If the top nut is NOT down enough, you will hear banging while going over bumps. Then you are taking it all apart again and clinching everything up. Ask me how I know...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

thanks alot for the help i tightened them down to 1/2" showing of the threads. well i took it for a short cruze and didnt get crazy with it but at 20 mph i yanked the wheel left and right and heard what sounded like washers falling to the ground i stopped and searched the ground and didnt find anything. dont know what that was all about.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

the directions say what torque to set the top nuts at.... leaving them loose even if you think they are tight it can and will damage them
Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Also make sure you have the wedge-shaped isolator in place. It sits down inside the mount. If you don't have it you'll ruin the mounts very quickly.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't think what that metallic sound might be. Loose top nut makes a banging/knocking sound.
Did you put on the front dust boots ( not mandatory )? Maybe the assembly is still loose. The manual calls for 32 ft/lbs on the top nut with the coil compressed so as to not preload the upper nut ( don't overcompress the coil either ).
I say remove the front wheels and recheck everything you touched. Maybe you left a socket or other tool in there that is flopping around? No shame in going over everything. For safety's sake, double check everything.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Every thing was assembled on the shock when i got it dust cover trangle thing was on and i tightened it so there is an inch of threads on each side i cant tighten to 32 lbs cause the whole shock spins when tightening

Im driving it right now and it is sqeaking in the front

i also replaced the 2 end links for heavy duty ones at auto zone (only 4 bucks each) because i broke them taking them off, i just want to make sure of the squeaking before i drive it anymore to be safe.

Anybody know what could cause this squeaking? Is 1/2" of threads too tight? My torq wrench didnt click at 20 pounds and its as tight as i can get it?

Can Anybody help me out? What can the front squeaking be caused by? Can Anybody tell me how to tighten the top nut??
Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Upper nut is supposed to be tightened to 32 foot pounds while the spring is compressed and not putting pressure on the mount. Honestly I can't say how tight I got mine since I didn't have a torque wrench at the time. I just cranked it down until I couldn't tighten any more, plus I used wrenches and not a socket otherwise the shaft would turn on me.

Front squeaking can be caused by a number of things. Anything that moves. Check it all. If you have old original bushings in your control arms those could be a source for example.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Ya but it didnt squeak before which makes me believe it could be the sway bar end links since i replaced those how would i check to see if it is those? And could tightening he top nut so where there is a half inch of threads showing above the nut be too tight as to cause squeaking? Thanks for the help
Old 07-08-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Too tight shouldn't make it squeak. When the top nut is fully tightened it is bottomed out on the threads. Tightening more just puts more load on the nut and shaft, it doesn't actually compress anything more. Don't go by how much threads are showing as it doesn't mean anything.

Sway bar end links should be 17 foot pounds.

It's still worth checking the control arm bushings if they are original.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Oh **** i gave the endlinks everything i had im gonna go loosen em and tighten to that torq now thanks alot man!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Haha don't feel bad I used to do the same lol. My end links never lasted very long because of it
Old 07-08-2012, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

yep that was it! thanks. I think i will keep my stock shocks on the back and install the konis instead of installing the rear konis with the strano springs to keep the stance can i do that or is koni shocks designed for lowering springs?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can keep your stock springs in the back if you want to.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

so it is okay to use stock rear springs with adjustable konis? i put them on the back with my stock springs and it looks lower than it did stock.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Shocks have no effect on ride height.

Quick Reply: Quick question please help on konis!!