Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front brakes drag HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default front brakes drag HELP!!

I have searched for a few days now and cant find anyone else with this problem.
My front brakes drag like they are partially engaged. The pedal feels fine, pads are good, everything looks normal So I am at a loss for words here.. Any help would be great. Im sure it is probly something small I overlooked. It does it on both sides in the front and I'm not sure how long it has been doing it.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Calipers might jus be locked up, or inside of brake hoses are done.
Either way with out pulling the calipers and trying to compress them by hand you will never know for sure.

Pull the caliper off and try to compress it. If you can't replace it.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

will do. Thanks...
Old 10-17-2012, 01:26 AM
Teching In

What he said…. Sometimes when people take off the caliper they hang it from the rubber hose and that can make it break on the inside and act almost like a one way check valve. Never actually seen one but I have heard of it happening a few times…. Weird that it would be happening to both sides but you never know.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, this is a downside of a floating caliper system. There is a good chance nothing is wrong at all. haha But, make sure the sliders on the caliper bracket are nice and greased up and the pads contact areas with the caliper are lubricated. Take a peek at the pistons and dust boots to make sure those are in working order. Generally, the caliper sliders will be the culprit, but it's always a good idea to give the whole system a once over.

On a floating system, when you engage the brakes, force is only applied from one side. When you release the brake pedal, the pads have a tendency to continue dragging along the rotor surface slightly. Depending on the condition of your brake system, this could be fairly quiet, or make a lot of noise and even restrict the wheel rotation.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

took the calipers off and all appears fine going to try and grease everything up real good and hope that fixes it. Its not to a point where its a problem because they still work fine and make no noise but I know it is creating a little resistance so something is not right... thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

1 word..........RUSTY CALIPER PINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
1 word..........RUSTY CALIPER PINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
yup... i had that problem before (actually 3 words though lol)
Old 11-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Dragging Front Brakes Too

I too think that the front brakes on my 99 Z28 are dragging. I first noticed when I had my 85 up on jacks and spun one of the front tires and it spun like there were no brakes on it at all, (it has disc front too). Then one day at a speed shop there was a newer gen Corvette up on a rack and I spun one of its front tires and it turned like my T/A. I changed the calipers to no effect. I replaced the disks to no effect. I have a 9 inch on the back with the stock rear brakes but the anti lock on the back is gone. The anti lock is still hooked up to the front and I have a line lock too. Thought it might be the line lock so I broke loose the brake lines at the calipers to bleed off the pressure and the front wheels were still hard to turn. If it had been a bad pressure line it would have shown when I bled off the calipers. If it had been the line lock or the anti lock computer it would have shown when I bled off the pressure at the caliper too. Starting to think that this is a characteristic of the 4 gen front brake system. The guide pins are new and float well within the holes in the caliper bracket. What exactly causes the pistons to retract back into their bores after releasing the brake?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:31 PM

I had the same problem last week, swapped rotors and pads and couldnt get it put back together without the wheels locking up, tight enough to break the lug nuts loose with the wheels in the air. Turns out it was the caliper bracket pins, they were locked in place. I replaced them and good to go.

Quick Reply: front brakes drag HELP!!