Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano vs Spohn sway bars (updated 11/27/12)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

If the color red is worth dragging around some 20+ pounds, knock yourself out.
There really a 20 pound difference between UMI soild sway bars vs. your hollows?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Were you able to check out that PM I sent you?
No, been out of town.. and generally pretty busy. I'll try to look at it as soon as I can.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-19-2012, 12:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by pillarpod
There really a 20 pound difference between UMI soild sway bars vs. your hollows?
Why would I lie? Why do you think I stopped making solid bars in the first place? A set of bars is about 20 pounds different.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding having a larger tire in back, thats exactly my situation. I'm running a 275 in front and 315 in rear, and it still feels very well balanced.

For everyone waiting for final weight measures, should have them in within the next couple days.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Updated with the weights of the Spohn bars in the 1st post.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm sure there is some variance scale to scale, and bars are hard to weigh due to their shape and all. Even if you weigh one on it's end then on it's side you can see a difference a lot of times. Like anything YMMV slightly, I'm not going to put this down to the ounce or anything, but clearly there is a difference for both the front and rear bars.

The rear bar is all unsprung weight too. And the front bar will of course yield a larger difference when you compare the same diameter bars (here we compared a 32mm or 1.25" bar to a 35mm 1-3/8" bar and still saw a difference) that totaled 12 pounds. 1 add the bigger 35mm front in solid and you'll have your total of right around 20 or so.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Clearly the scale is not the only thing in play. Holding each bar the solids feel way heavier, def more then 7 lbs. Like I said the weight is secondary concern the feel of the car is the greatest attribute of these bars.

On a side note, just bought a dodge dart any chance you making a set of bars for that Sam?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm not only glad you are pleased with the change to Strano Performance bars, but I appreciate you taking the time to weigh them, and add some insight as to why you like them with the feel comments. Thank you.

Dart... I don't see myself making bars for those, but when the normal folks come out with them, I can certainly get them for you. Remember I carry brands like Eibach, H&R, Hotchkis, etc too. And I get you any part those guys (or others if someone else makes stuff) for the car.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea I'm very help happy with the new setup. I just wish I had more time to drive the car prior to storing it for the winter. Looks like I'll be upgrading to your springs and UMI poly/Roto LCA like we discussed, over the winter.

Haha yea it was worth a shot. Ill keep u in mind once products are released.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would just go with the hellwig bars.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Amazing. Just amazing.

1. I've never made any effort to hide that I have Hellwig make my bars for me. Do you think that people think I stand in my garage and twist lengths of steel around some pipe????? I'm sure some do that, but I'm smart enough to go to a company that makes quality products to have things made to my specification (please note that part).

2. That is a complete dick move, I'm sure for some purpose (Maybe you want to sell them Hellwig production bars????)

3. My bars aren't exactly the same, and fwiw they never made a hollow bar for this car until I commissioned them to do so for me, AND they never made a 35mm front bar for these cars at all before I commissioned it either. FWIW, I choose to run different wall thickness and a few other little details that I'm certainly not going to tell you about because or #2 above.

4. I keep the bars in stock, and I sell them for a very prices, considering I'm the one who developed them and they got to just come along for the ride with some changes to details. In fact this is not the first time folks have borrowed things I've developed, at least here this is the company that makes them for me. Thought I originally developed my bars with another company, who I left due to quality control and availability issues.

5. I'm a sponsor here. I'm active, and I try and help folks here. Hellwig is not, you are not. And the fact you seem to care not a lick about that, but only about publicly stating something you think I'm trying to hide (that Hellwig makes my bars for me) tells me all I need to know about what kind of person you are.

I'm more than a little disappointed, but I'm not surprised by actions like this anymore. And you guys wonder why I get pissed off at times? Here you go, sadly this is what you get these days. And bear in mind it's often folks like this that want to sell you parts. I wouldn't trust this guy to be honest about anything if he's inclined to pull a move like this for no reason.

Well maybe there is one reason. I'm betting I know exactly who you are... the guy who hung up on me the other day when you trying to pick my brain about some stuff and didn't like my answers (you know the ones you got completely for free and all..... If it's you, and I bet it is, how's your "fully built" suspension? He asked why a 25mm bar is too big in the rear for a standing mile car (see, this is why I'm sure this is the guy)... I said because it's too much rear roll stiffness and that makes a car more loose. The absolute most stable is a big front bar with a small rear. See what I get for trying to help a stranger..... I guess I know why you were upset, because I wouldn't accept "fully built" as an appropriate description of anything to help you with a combination that works, so the response was *click*. Yeah, that's what I get for trying to help. And if that's not you, well.... I've love to hear your defense for shitting up this thread, because frankly there isn't one.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 11-29-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

agreed, that was a shady move.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 894 Likes on 636 Posts

d-bag move.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Haha you get bent out of shape easily.

I'll make this easy for you:

I hung up on you, yep.
I called to get your opinion on a rear spring rate to start at out. Im no suspension expert, thats why I ask others. I spoke with over a dozen companies who were all able to at least give me a ballpark.

i want to run a 2.5" diameter spring in the rear to give more clearance for a 345 tire. It is WELL known that doing this increases the room for tires, along with a mini-tub and moving the control arms in. You told me it wasnt possible. (although there are probably a couple hundred cars with this mod) You obviously have no experience in this area.

Here, I'll help educate you:

i was patient and continued to explain thats what i was doing, and asked what spring rate would be a good starting point. You said, "I cant tell you anything, if anyone tells you any number, they are literally guessing" Your attitude was the worst i have ever encountered by a manufacturer.

you then asked "how much suspension I had", (a vague question), I said its fully built, with mostly BMR parts. You asked what sway bar. I said it had the 25mm and you said, "well thats not going to work" I listened to your explanation and said, ok, and then you continued to tell me that my combo wasnt going to work, and questioned why i was bothering with all this in the first place.

i was getting very frustrated with your attitude until you cut me off mid sentence and said, "well come on, lets hear the rest of it" in a annoying, cocky tone. Ive been trying not to cuss so much, and i was soo pissed, i had to hang up the phone before i gave you an earful.

Your customer service is, has been, and probably always will be appalling. You should be ashamed.

and btw, I dont sell anything, i just dont want anyone buying from you and getting the same treatment.

So the rest of you, buy the hellwigs, they are close to the same, and you dont have to deal with a cocky attitude to get em.

Have a nice day sam, and dont forget to check your bloodpressure
Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Teching In

I wish I had some cash right now to buy something from Sam just on principle. He's always been helpful to me. I will continue to call him for advice before I buy from him.

Thanks, Sam!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm guessing from what you wrote that you called him up just to get him pissed off. Also hanging up on him and coming online to bash him makes you sound like kind of a sissy. If you have issues with him then discuss with him on the phone.. not run online to cry about it. I LOVE it when any company isn't afraid to tell toolbag customers F off, props to anyone who does this!

This thread will probably get locked now, lol

Oh yeah and if you're trying to build a car for handling, Sam was right... your setup sucks. Take it personally or take it as advice. If you want to setup the car for hardcore drag racing then I"m not sure why you are calling Sam.. call up a drag race expert like Madman or something. It sounds like you have it setup well for that.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

To the OP I'm pretty suprised on how much of a weight difference there is between the solid 32 and the 35 hollow. Considering the 35 hollow is stiffer and weighs less, then that's a win win situation.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 894 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I'm guessing from what you wrote that you called him up just to get him pissed off. Also hanging up on him and coming online to bash him makes you sound like kind of a sissy. If you have issues with him then discuss with him on the phone.. not run online to cry about it. I LOVE it when any company isn't afraid to tell toolbag customers F off, props to anyone who does this!

Oh yeah and if you're trying to build a car for handling, Sam was right... your setup sucks. Take it personally or take it as advice. If you want to setup the car for hardcore drag racing then I"m not sure why you are calling Sam.. call up a drag race expert like Madman or something. It sounds like you have it setup well for that.
I've talked to Sam for years now and have never had a problem with him. It's great to deal with.

Some people just can't handle hearing the truth about something they don't know anything about. I think I might call Tony Mamo and tell him how to port cylinder heads.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan

Haha that's a pretty stupid assumption. Why would I call him just to make him mad? And I did end up buying from madman. He was extremely helpful and knowledgable. And p.s. standing mile cars don't run anything like a drag setup. It's a combination but similar to autoX, that's why I called Sam in the first place. And lol, all you know about my car is the rear bar size. My setup sucks? Yeah that's why I'm the youngest person to go over 200mph at my event, why I'm on the cover of gm high tech, why I've been in numerous online articles, and now im going for the 220+ mph class next to compete with million dollar cars. It's sucks pretty bad huh...
Old 11-30-2012, 12:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Let's think this through, although I'm sure this will be very hard for Killer-LS1 to do.

These other guys have no issue with me on a "customer service" front. You seem to indicate that you have more then one issue with me (maybe it's your inane questions or the fact you just want there to be an easy button answer that you think you already know), which would tell me you've called me more than once to get free information, which is even worse. As for the fact you are the youngest person to go 200mph. Who gives a flying f*ck? I don't. Great you went really fast in a straight line with a lot of power, congratulations. And BTW, if you have a "fully built" suspension, why the hell were you calling me anyway????????????????????????????????????????? Hmmmm?

Quick Reply: Strano vs Spohn sway bars (updated 11/27/12)