Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI boxed lower a-arms changes ride height?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default UMI boxed lower a-arms changes ride height?

I recently installed a set of UMI's boxed lower a-arms with roto joints and tubular upper a-arms on my T/A. Handling is great, but ever since, it has looked like my front end was riding higher than the back. I finally broke out the tape measure yesterday and measured from my SFC to the ground, and the front of the SFC is 1/4" higher than the back. Before it used to be level. Not a huge deal, since I can probably replace the heater hose on the rear springs with my stock isolators and maybe level it out, but I hadn't seen anyone mention this before.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeMs01TA
I recently installed a set of UMI's boxed lower a-arms with roto joints and tubular upper a-arms on my T/A. Handling is great, but ever since, it has looked like my front end was riding higher than the back. I finally broke out the tape measure yesterday and measured from my SFC to the ground, and the front of the SFC is 1/4" higher than the back. Before it used to be level. Not a huge deal, since I can probably replace the heater hose on the rear springs with my stock isolators and maybe level it out, but I hadn't seen anyone mention this before.
This is a super common issue and it happens when you tighten the lower a-arms without having the suspension loaded. If you haven't had the car aligned yet take it and get it aligned and they will loosen and tighten the a-arms down when they are adjusting the alignment and it will take care of the issue.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Launching!

The suspension was loaded when I tightened down everything, and the car has since been aligned and driven several times.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mike. Sorry I'm late to the party on this thread.

Our arms are intended to maintain exact factory ride height. The ball joint vs inner pick up points vs shock mount are in the same relationship as factory.

Not sure what could be causing your ride height change. Different tires, tire pressure, alignment, etc?

thanks

ramey
Old 11-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Weird. Same tires all around, and the 1 year old rear tires were rotated to the front during the alignment, and new tires were put on the rear. Tire pressures are pretty much what I've always run, 32 front and 30 rear. Used to run 28 rear last year to try to help with launch traction, but the new UMI torque arm, LCA, and relocation brackets solved that.

It was a pretty subtle change, I had to break out the tape measure to verify something was up
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same thing. Which isn't a big deal because my air dam doesn't scrap so much now. My guess is how the shock/spring assembly sits on those little tubes that the lower shock bolts go through. I think if you cut those tubes down enough (but still maintain shock to a-arm clearence) the front ride height would be lowered somewhat. But I'm not ready to do that just yet. Otherwise, I love my LCAs! With the UMI LCAs and the poly bushings in the stock UCAs, it made a big difference in response and handling! Thanks UMI!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Putting the stock rear spring isolators back in the car did make the car appear even again. I looked at the front shock mounts, and it does look like there's enough space to cut/grind down those tubes. Whenever I pull the front tires off again, I'll have to take some measurements and see how far off it is from the stock arms to see if that would be worth the trouble. I think the koni spring perch adjustment is < 1/4", so it shouldn't take much. Sucks that I'm back to stock ride height, but it did do pretty well on US129 Tail of the Dragon last week
Old 11-26-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Putting the stock rear spring isolators back in the car did make the car appear even again. I looked at the front shock mounts, and it does look like there's enough space to cut/grind down those tubes. Whenever I pull the front tires off again, I'll have to take some measurements and see how far off it is from the stock arms to see if that would be worth the trouble. I think the koni spring perch adjustment is < 1/4", so it shouldn't take much. Sucks that I'm back to stock ride height, but it did do pretty well on US129 Tail of the Dragon last week
Let me know next time you come through for the dragon!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Will do! Surprised me, sunny and 60 degrees, and there were 0 cars and cops. Then again, it was the day before thanksgiving. I've only ever been through in early September and October before last week.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do! Surprised me, sunny and 60 degrees, and there were 0 cars and cops. Then again, it was the day before thanksgiving. I've only ever been through in early September and October before last week.
I like the Cherohala Skyway better actually. Much less traffic, longer sweepers = faster speeds, and you can actually enjoy the view better as well.

http://www.cherohala.com/

Quick Reply: UMI boxed lower a-arms changes ride height?