Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Popping noise at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping noise at low speeds

I'm getting popping/binding noises at low speeds from the front of the vehicle (from best I can tell, only the front left), mainly when shifting the load; for example backing into a parking spot and turning. It is also present though when I am parked and turn the steering wheel lock to lock. From what I've gathered so far the most likely cause is a bad upper shock mount/isolator.. I had konis and stranos installed about 2 yrs ago and reused the stock mounts and isolators.. (I've seen the terrible pictures of the mounts and isolators due to rust.)

It sounds pretty bad is only getting worse; however the one thing I dont understand is that when its raining out, the noise is gone. I'm not sure if this is just cause whatever is binding/grinding is getting lubed from the rain? Any other ideas on what it could be before I take apart the shock/spring assembly?

Last edited by nichoLaS1; 02-14-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

I have that same poping/binding noise when backing up with the wheels turned. I have no idea what it is. My car only has 30K miles on it. WTF?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:19 AM
Staging Lane

I was having the same problem but its more of a tapping on the driver front side. Found out the contol arm bushing had worn out and was hitting metal to metal.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackdahlia1988
I was having the same problem but its more of a tapping on the driver front side. Found out the contol arm bushing had worn out and was hitting metal to metal.

Yeah I'm not sure the best way to describe it, but it sounds a little worse than a tapping. Granted it has gotten worse over time, so maybe a few weeks ago it was just a tapping noise.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Launching!

Do you remember which bushing it was? The one closer to the front of the vehicle or the rear?

Any more thoughts/insight on this?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Bumpin it.. need more input
Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upper shock mount possibly loose/worn. FLCA bushings possibly worn as said in above post.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nichoLaS1
Do you remember which bushing it was? The one closer to the front of the vehicle or the rear?

Any more thoughts/insight on this?
Yeah it was the one closer to the back of the car.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Yeah it was the one closer to the back of the car.
Thanks.. Ive been too busy with work lately to get around to this still, but I'll check this out this weekend hopefully. I did notice the other week the bushing did look worn, but I didnt have a chance to compare it to the passenger side to see if it was just my imagination.

I'm still open to any other suggestions like tie rods, etc.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Finally figured out the problem.. My bushings were ok but the bolt going trough the bushing was loose (actually loose on both sides but the drivers side was worse.) Now everythings all tightened up, bearings are greased and all is well. FWIW, I checked all tie-rods, bal joints, and bushings and didnt have to replace any of them.

I was skeptical at first that that would fix the problem because it sounded terrible before, but (knock on wood) all the popping is gone. I love being able to pul in my garage now without cringing.

SO glad to have it gone! Thanks for the help! If you getting popping sounds like I described above, CHECK THE LOWER CONTROL ARM.

Quick Reply: Popping noise at low speeds