Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

even worth installing KYB AGX's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default even worth installing KYB AGX's?

I have a set of brand new KYB AGX's. After years of use my beloved front Koni's (bought used with many many miles/races on them) are toast. I installed a set of 10k mile decarbons up front for now, which are in decent shape as far as decarbons go, but still a little floaty.

I have a set of front control arms ready with fresh bushings/balljoints, but I don't know if I want to install the KYB's if I'm just going to have to replace them in a year with these same decarbons and then get it aligned again. I'll be doing 15k+ miles easily this year, and I would love better highway speed control but don't want a rock hard ride either.

I have read every single thread mentioning KYB on this forum, just wondering if anyone else has any long term (or updated) reviews of them? Specifically the fronts with stock springs and a decent number of miles
Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, sell the KYB AGX shocks and get a set of bilsteins.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
agreed
Old 02-28-2013, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

I honestly can't put another $120 on top as sad as it is. If I sell them the money will have to go elsewhere, so I'm probably better off just selling them and being responsible for once. I got a good deal on them so hopefully I can sell them quick and get my money back.

hopefully the control arm bushings and alignment will tighten things up a bit

thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Is the Car lowered?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
why is it that bilsteins are not specifically made for a lowered car? Well thats what i was told..
Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

If you already have the AGX's, I would probably just give them a try. Worst case scenario, they go bad or don't dampen as well as you want them to. At least you will have some personal experience with them and can compare between AGX and Koni's which is useful to the ls1tech community.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:36 AM
TECH Addict

back on stock springs

I'm on my 4th set of front shocks right now, I've had bilstein/koni/decarbon shocks, hypercoil/bmr/hotchkis/slp/600# coilover springs, 30/32/35/19/21 swaybars, rod-rod/poly-poly/1le lca's, etc...

I really don't need to try something else just for the fun of it if there's already some info on it. If I can't sell them in a week or two maybe I'll install them, but I can't sacrifice ride quality with my current commute and won't have time to replace them if anything happens
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Some info on KYB AGX shocks to make it easier on your decision (you may already know these things):
-AGX's control both compression and rebound with one ****. Not ideal because if you get the compression set at a good spot, you can't mess with the rebound afterward without changing the compression
-AGX's aren't known for their build quality. Higher amounts of failures compared to Bilstiens and Koni's
-Since your on stock springs, you aren't concerned with this.. but KYB won't warrant AGX shocks that were paired with aftermarket lowering springs.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Read all the posts is what I think
Old 03-07-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TruBluLs1
why is it that bilsteins are not specifically made for a lowered car? Well thats what i was told..
There's just to many different spring rates combined with drops ranging from .5" to +2" drop to make a fixed valving lowering shock that's not a compromise. Yeah Bilstein could make SA shocks but, in this day an age it's not going to happen unless they clearly see it profitable decision. IMO, the Bilsteins still work surprisingly good with lowering springs(not as good as a properly adjusted Koni SAs) and the build quality is very good!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

I thought I might add this. I had KYB AGX's on my car for a couple years with BMR lowering springs on the front and stock springs w/ heater hose mod (because of taller tire) on the back. I was able to run a 11.202 @ 120.57 mph w/ a 1.501 60'. Most of my mods are in my signature. If you have any questions just ask. I make 432 rwhp and 386 rwtq. I am actually going to sell these now because I just bought double adjustable Afco coilovers for the front and rear.

Quick Reply: even worth installing KYB AGX's?