Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

RESULTS: BMR vs Strano ride height!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013 | 11:07 PM
Launching!

I feel bad for both sides here. Sam's made major contributions to the f-body community and this board for a long, long time. I've really appreciated all that I've learned from his knowledge. Most of the time whenever a lowering spring doesn't lower a car to the desired level, it's because the spring hasn't settled or wasn't installed correctly. If Sam gave a refund to everyone that wasn't satisfied with their car's stance, that could be a very slippery slope that leads to a lot of lost revenue.

I also feel really bad for the OP. It seems like he has approached this in a civil manner. He wanted his car lowered and he was disappointed that installing the Strano springs didn't give him that result. He seemingly took all the steps necessary even to the extent of installing another set of lowering springs to prove that his Strano springs were defective.

Hopefully this will be settled congenially. The OP now has the stance he desired (even if he had to take a rough road to get there). I don't want to tell Sam how to run his business, but if someone goes to the extent that the OP went through to show the springs were defective, I would hope in the future he would consider giving a refund. It's clear he's lost at least a couple grand in business from this thread alone.

BTW, I've been looking for a set of 1LE springs forever because I want a stiffer spring without lowering the car. So if the OP wants to get rid of the springs, I'll gladly take them off his hands.
Old 05-10-2013 | 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I would still take the springs back, despite all this mess... but it will be @ A 20% restocking fee that a returned NEW part would have applied. If that's not acceptable I can't do anything else.
Despite all this mess You made this mess man. Sheesh dude just give him a full refund none of this 20% BS. Lame customer service.

Op, sorry you had to go through all this. I hope you can enjoy your car.
Old 05-11-2013 | 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by OSU Football Fan
I feel bad for both sides here. Sam's made major contributions to the f-body community and this board for a long, long time. I've really appreciated all that I've learned from his knowledge. Most of the time whenever a lowering spring doesn't lower a car to the desired level, it's because the spring hasn't settled or wasn't installed correctly. If Sam gave a refund to everyone that wasn't satisfied with their car's stance, that could be a very slippery slope that leads to a lot of lost revenue.

I also feel really bad for the OP. It seems like he has approached this in a civil manner. He wanted his car lowered and he was disappointed that installing the Strano springs didn't give him that result. He seemingly took all the steps necessary even to the extent of installing another set of lowering springs to prove that his Strano springs were defective.

Hopefully this will be settled congenially. The OP now has the stance he desired (even if he had to take a rough road to get there). I don't want to tell Sam how to run his business, but if someone goes to the extent that the OP went through to show the springs were defective, I would hope in the future he would consider giving a refund. It's clear he's lost at least a couple grand in business from this thread alone.

BTW, I've been looking for a set of 1LE springs forever because I want a stiffer spring without lowering the car. So if the OP wants to get rid of the springs, I'll gladly take them off his hands.
Dude, the solution is clear! Purchase his Strano springs!! 550 lbs at stock height!
Old 05-11-2013 | 12:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
Despite all this mess You made this mess man. Sheesh dude just give him a full refund none of this 20% BS. Lame customer service.

Op, sorry you had to go through all this. I hope you can enjoy your car.
I was just thinking how Strano is "the little guy" compared to all the big brands and he looks out for his customers best interests.

Wait I'm confused now
Old 05-11-2013 | 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Dude, the solution is clear! Purchase his Strano springs!! 550 lbs at stock height!
I just want to see him buy the springs and his car drops 1.2"
Old 05-11-2013 | 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

I guess the simple answer here is for Sam to say how tall his springs are uninstalls and we compare that to OP's number.
Old 05-11-2013 | 10:20 AM
The Scammer Hammer
15 Year Member

Or someone could measure Sams springs that they haven't installed yet and just lay this beast to rest.
Old 05-11-2013 | 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

i have a set of Strano springs in my storage unit which i took off my car that i can measure whenever i get a chance (maybe tomorrow sometime when i get back home...and if i remember, LOL).

they did drop the car pretty close to the right amount (before & after measurements here). keep in mind that these measurements were after being freshly-installed, and although i didn't really measure the height again later, i do think they "settled in" a bit, and would say that they were pretty damn close to the amount of drop advertised...i had them on the car for somewhere between 4 - 5 years, so that will affect the measurement a little. also, no spring out there is going to always give you exactly the same amount of drop on every single car out there....there are just too many factors outside the spring maker's control for that to happen...but they should at least be VERY close, as mine were.

the main reason i took them off is because i needed to regain a bit of ground clearance because i was tired of scraping speed bumps in the area, even when taking them at 1mph and hitting them at an angle instead of straight-on. not really a fault of the springs, just the ridiculous speed bumps we have here...i had originally wanted to find a way to shim the springs up a little higher, and if i could have, i'd have kept them on....but i wasn't really able to find a cheap way to do it with the resources available to me, so i swapped them back out.

i ended up putting the stockers back on with the lower front perch/heater hose mod in the rear so that it's still lower than stock, but not as low as the Strano springs had it.
Old 05-11-2013 | 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Or someone could measure Sams springs that they haven't installed yet and just lay this beast to rest.
I was suggesting the "burden" be on the retailer.
Old 05-11-2013 | 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Didn't OP call Sam and get the length of his springs? I thought I read that a couple pages back.
Old 05-11-2013 | 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I knew I saw this a while back...someone did. A little under 11 and 3/4" tall...

The OP's are a little over a foot tall...

Have we found the culprit? It looks like there may be a manufacturing defect going on where the springs are being made at the wrong length. Sam may want to call them and see what's going on, I'm not sure. I think the springs are a good product and would hate to see them go away due to a recent manufacturing defect. If we catch it early enough it can be fixed so future batches can be corrected.
Old 05-11-2013 | 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

I dont get all this measuring thing. The pics speak a thousand words:

1. The Strano spring is OBVIOUSLY taller (the theory of BMR copying Strano's seems debunked also)
2. The difference is aprox almost an inch judging from the ruler in those pics.

A new spring will be essentially the same even after it settles down. If anything then that Strano spring when new was even a bit longer. Apparently Strano never contacted the OP with the length info.

I agree bout the manufacturer defect, possibly a quality control issue. Would be interesting to check if the other guys with this problem all got the same batch springs.
Old 05-11-2013 | 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chaman
I agree bout the manufacturer defect, possibly a quality control issue. Would be interesting to check if the other guys with this problem all got the same batch springs.
If it was the manufacturer's fault I hope they can correct this situation for Sam. Hopefully the manufacturer will own up to the mistake and rectify the situation if this was the case. Sam could already be looking into this right now to get it rectified. I hope it can be resolved. I think they are great springs and again, I'd like to see the continued production of these springs as well as BMR's.
Old 05-11-2013 | 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If somebody had an older set of Strano springs that actually lowered their car on day 1 and measured them that could be helpful to see if the OP's springs really are defective.
Old 05-11-2013 | 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Mine are old and my car instantly lowered.
Old 05-11-2013 | 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuperSport01
If somebody had an older set of Strano springs that actually lowered their car on day 1 and measured them that could be helpful to see if the OP's springs really are defective.
No need to measure. A few years back when I got my Strano Springs, just like the OP's picture after he installed the BMR's, you could see my car dropped considerably right after they were installed.
Old 05-11-2013 | 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

Sam could already be looking into this right now to get it rectified.
He could....but would he report the issue? If it is a defect he would be pressed to put out a considerable amount of refunds (that in return he will recover if the spring maker accepts their responsibility). The biggest stepping stone is Strano's attitude toward this situation. He do not seem to me like someone who takes critics and issues with his products too well. IMO, the issue could have been handled much better but his arrogance gets in the way. His whole business could be compromised at this point.
Old 05-11-2013 | 05:38 PM
The Scammer Hammer
15 Year Member

chaman, seriously, hang it up. We ALL, I mean EVERYONE knows your opinion about Sam. The guys that don't even mod cars probably know your opinion.

Let the facts speak for themselves. You and a few others chiming on and ragging on the situation aren't helping anything. At all. If its a QAQC issue it'll be solved in short order.

Enough with the sponsor bashing.
Old 05-11-2013 | 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

chaman, seriously, hang it up. We ALL, I mean EVERYONE knows your opinion about Sam. The guys that don't even mod cars probably know your opinion.

Let the facts speak for themselves. You and a few others chiming on and ragging on the situation aren't helping anything. At all. If its a QAQC issue it'll be solved in short order.

Enough with the sponsor bashing.
No problem man, one question though.....what is QAQC?? LOL! You lost me right there.
Old 05-11-2013 | 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chaman
No problem man, one question though.....what is QAQC?? LOL! You lost me right there.
Quality Assurance/Quality Control.

Quick Reply: RESULTS: BMR vs Strano ride height!