Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My CTS-V Brake Setup (Planned)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You think it is ok to leave the stock brake lines and just do the $85.00 Flynbye braided front line set? I was thinking of doing solo bleeders to make bleeding before a auto-x/track day easier would the bleeders for the stock f body calipers work on these CTS-V fronts?
Old 04-19-2014, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Is ACDelco 172-2288 Caliper Assembly and 172-2287 the #'s for the 1st Gen CTS-V 4 Pot or the 2nd ten 6 Pot? I would like to do the 6 Pot and drill the spindle holes to 9/16 like on the GMHTP STI Killer CTS-V article.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

4-pot. I've heard the 4-pot are actually better than the 6-pot. Easier to fit as well.

And yes, the Flynbye or Kore3 kit would be fine for just the front. And I think you have to buy the correct bleeder screw for the caliper. Easiest way to find that is to search for the size from Earl's SoloBleeder and get the screw dimensions that way (if you want to run Speed Bleeders for example).
Old 04-20-2014, 03:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
4-pot. I've heard the 4-pot are actually better than the 6-pot. Easier to fit as well.

And yes, the Flynbye or Kore3 kit would be fine for just the front. And I think you have to buy the correct bleeder screw for the caliper. Easiest way to find that is to search for the size from Earl's SoloBleeder and get the screw dimensions that way (if you want to run Speed Bleeders for example).
Any idea why the 4 pot is better than the 6 pot?

I saw that the 6 pot required washers to center the caliper on the rotor in the GMHTP STI Killer CTS-V conversion article and was wondering if the 4 pot also require these washers?

Sorry did not understand the part about searching for the size does that mean pulling them out and measuring or just referencing a chart? Sorry for the simplicity of that question I am sure you explained it I just didn't get it!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Earls has a size chart. 4 pot have to be centered as well if using z06 rotors because the offset is wrong. 4 pot are stiffer I believe. 6 pots aren't inherently better. They just produce less pad taper from multiple smaller pistons vs one large piston. Vs 4 pot there's less advantage - perhaps additional pad size to cover more rotor as the caliper can spread out more around the rotor. The clamping force isn't much different.

the larger brakes take more heat and should have more pad material so they work better with repeated stops. Very rarely will you notice much difference oh the street if everything is working as it should and the pad compound is the same.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Please don't mind me but this is the VERY FIRST TIME I ever heard someone said a 4 piston caliper is BETTER than a 6 piston caliper. I wonder why those $200k+ supercar all used 6 piston in the front and 4 piston in the back?
Old 04-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I'm sure 4-piston Brembo monoblocs are better than Wilwood 6-piston.

And I'm talking about the CTS-V Brembo 4-piston and the CTS-V Brembo 6-piston. From people who race their cars, they have the belief that the 4-piston is stiffer. Just like a 4-piston Brembo monobloc is stiffer than a Corvette PBR 6-piston found on the Z06.

As I said, the number of pistons don't make or break or caliper. With more pistons, you can more evenly distribute the load and reduce pad taper. You can also produce a bigger pad (but not always). At the end of the day, more pistons in the caliper, more disc, and more pad are all after the same thing: reducing heat from multiple high-speed stops. You just have to know what you're doing. Just like going to a 15" rotor might be what you need, if you're running a lighter car, a 13.5" might be all you need to handle the thermal envelope. But the downside is the extra unsprung weight of the 15". So you have to balance weight with heat and find the optimal combination. As with anything...
Old 04-22-2014, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not trying to argue anything here

I happened to join a Corvette only autocross event here in Napa CA. I've seem and talk to owners from C1 to C7. I've seem many people with C5 and C6 doing the 6 piston conversion. They all said that's a night and day different even better than 4 piston. More pad area gives it more stopping power, plus the rotor won't get as hot as a 4 piston.

Your comparison is not suitable. For stiffness, a monoblocs for sure is stiffer than a 2 piece. Therefore when you comapre a 4 piston monoblocs to a 6 piston 2 piece is not appropriate.

Now I'm pretty sure the Gen 1 CTS-v 4 piston Brembo caliper is a 2 piece caliper. I'm not so sure if the Gen 2 CTS-v 6 piston caliper is a one piece or monoblocs. Judging from the picture, I'll buy the Gen 2 no doubt about it.
Attached Thumbnails My CTS-V Brake Setup (Planned)-31idoxjzv-l.jpg   My CTS-V Brake Setup (Planned)-31vjimcfcgl-1-.jpg   My CTS-V Brake Setup (Planned)-31ligxgtafl.jpg   My CTS-V Brake Setup (Planned)-31l6djcnj0l.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Super Hulk Smash

They are both 2-piece from what I can gather. StopTech would argue a 2-piece is stronger, but who knows.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One of the fastest corvette at the event, driven by a hot blond chick.

Her setup is a killer. 18x10.5 with 315/30-18 up front and 345/30/18 at the rear.
Attached Thumbnails My CTS-V Brake Setup (Planned)-20140406_123427.jpg   My CTS-V Brake Setup (Planned)-20140406_123453.jpg  
Old 04-23-2014, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

IIRC.. Speaking only about the ctsv brembos here... The 4 pistons are made in italy and the 6 are China or Taiwan. I've also heard about the 4 piston being the better of the two.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by darknessxyz

I happened to join a Corvette only autocross event here in Napa CA. I've seem and talk to owners from C1 to C7. I've seem many people with C5 and C6 doing the 6 piston conversion. They all said that's a night and day different even better than 4 piston. More pad area gives it more stopping power, plus the rotor won't get as hot as a 4 piston.

Your comparison is not suitable. For stiffness, a monoblocs for sure is stiffer than a 2 piece. Therefore when you comapre a 4 piston monoblocs to a 6 piston 2 piece is not appropriate.

Now I'm pretty sure the Gen 1 CTS-v 4 piston Brembo caliper is a 2 piece caliper. I'm not so sure if the Gen 2 CTS-v 6 piston caliper is a one piece or monoblocs. Judging from the picture, I'll buy the Gen 2 no doubt about it.
Pad size has nothing to do with stopping power. The coefficient of friction of the pad material and piston area determines stopping power. Larger pads may increase thermal capacity as they spread the heat over a greater area, but a larger pad in the same compound with the same piston area will not produce noticeably better stopping.

Also, some manufacturers of racing brake systems believe a 2-piece caliper is stronger. The strength of the caliper is more effected by design, material, and proper machining than whether the caliper is 1 or 2 pieces.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's just like the old days, argue about the CTS-v 4 piston brembo VS C6Z06 6 piston PBR. I just can't imagine it's Brembo VS Brembo now.

OP: if you haven't buy anything yet, please PM me. I've a set of Gen 1 CTS-V 4 piston caliper wanna get rid of. Then I'll go for the 6 piston one.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

It's not really an argument, you just refuse to take a minute and learn how braking systems actually function, and automatically assume bigger is better. A few people have tried to explain how things work, but if you want to bolt on parts without knowing how they change the way your brakes function, then do whatever makes you happy.

Last edited by 79_T/A; 04-24-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So... is our consensus here that the 4-pistons are actually better, or that the 4- and 6-pistons are no better than one another, disregarding weight, or that the 6-pistons have the potential to be better given the right pad application?
Old 04-24-2014, 01:25 AM
Super Hulk Smash

If you're comparing the same brand/series/build than the 6-piston is better than a 4-piston as it provides greater thermal capacity for the reasons I stated above.

However, once you start comparing different brands or types, it really depends on the calipers being compared. Otherwise, once you start comparing different types of calipers or different build specifications, you can't make the generalization.

Since this was about the CTS-V 4-pot and 6-pot, I do believe they are different, so you're not comparing the same series anymore. And from what I've heard, the 4-pot are built better.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:32 AM
TECH Regular

That's what I meant, just the V choices specifically.

6 pistons are $480/pair and 4 pistons are $212/pair...
Old 04-24-2014, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Until there's reliable source with test number showing which one doing better job, I won't take any word as 4 better than 6. I'm comparing the Gen 1 VS Gen 2.

Thing is, I've seem smoking 4 piston setup 10 times more than 6 piston after race. That's including my Gen 1 4 piston
Old 04-24-2014, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

Until there's reliable source with test number showing which one doing better job, I won't take any word as 4 better than 6. I'm comparing the Gen 1 VS Gen 2.

Thing is, I've seem smoking 4 piston setup 10 times more than 6 piston after race. That's including my Gen 1 4 piston
If you've been racing with the 4 pistons, you're the perfect test candidate. Please let me know your results once you get the 6 pistons.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Im not 100% positive but I believe the yellow calipers pictured are for carbon rotor setups only. I think the only 6 pot caliper you can run with the iron calipers is the 06-12 z06.

Quick Reply: My CTS-V Brake Setup (Planned)