Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bmr tubualar K member welds breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 04:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you nut swingers act like he's trying to get a consumable such as a shock replaced. IMO it shouldn't matter who purchased it, it's their product and was sold to a consumer with a faulty design/material. You would think if there records are good enough that they claim to know everyone that has ever purchased one, they would have contacted the buyers of the faulty product a long time ago. As far as 20% off another k member, why the hell would he give them another penny if they left him out in the cold on this one.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Products are revised all the time, doesn't mean they recall/replace ALL the old ones. That's just plain silly, and you grown *** men should know better then to pretend that. And Lemons took it to a whole nother level

Old 05-26-2013, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Products are revised all the time, doesn't mean they recall/replace ALL the old ones.
I agree to a point, but when its a a part like a K member and they know it has failed before from a poor design I think it should be

for the part about who purchased it this is not part made by some one else that got distributed to suppliers so proof of purchase from there business is needed for the business to get credit when the defected part is returned, this is a BMR part sold by BMR

for the record I dont even know the OP, until this topic I had Zero communication with him

Last edited by stroker87; 05-26-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Launching!

8 years of depreciation, 20% offer, Can't provide proof of original purchase? WTF
Old 05-26-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Micah41091
This is my car. Defiantly haven't tried any "fast and furious bridge jumps" in it. It stays in the garage and barely sees the light of day. Like I said and like David said I don't do any stressful driving in the car. Its a weekend car. take it to shows and car events.
I believe you brah, but I wouldn't expect a large company to. It's just how it is. Maybe call your friend who bought it and tell him to log onto paypal, go to order history, print out the receipt, have him sign something saying he purchased the part for you, get it notorized and that should help you get a free part.

I also believe you should have handled this fully in private, for a few days and then posted results. I could be wrong, but it looks like you emailed them and made a thread simultaneously. People make mistakes, aftermarket parts aren't perfect, and sometimes **** happens.

I wish Pontiac would have issues a recall on the factory 10 bolts, that are known to snap even on factory power, lol. Hope all goes well for you and BMR.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSXNV
And whats this obsession with "he could have died"? That is just silly. And just a tad over dramatic.
Really??You blind or just ignorant?

The parts that are tearing are hooked to the lower control arms. When that fails you cannot steer the car AT ALL. The front lower control arm supports the weight of the front of the car.

Now, Imagine you bee bopping down the interstate at 80 mph and you hit a dip or an uneven part of pavement and the lower control arm mounting point rips out of the car. You can't steer it, you are along for the ride until it decides to stop. When you step on the brakes the tire assembly will rotate and most likely rip the upper arm off, then the wheel will exit the car......no brakes, no steering in a 3500lb car running 80 MPH.

Hope like hell it doesn't cross into oncoming traffic.

There is an old saying. Please memorize it for all the world.

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"
Old 05-26-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Veteran

What amazes me is this...........

If BMR would have sent Micah a new K member, OR reimbursed him for the COST of a new one so he could either

Put a stock one back in,

Or buy one of the new designs AT COST.

They would have kept a customer, word of mouth marketing is THE BIGGEST thing ANY business has going for it....period.

Companies somehow loose sight of this when they get big enough to have a full time accountant and an ******* numbers guy hired for a ceo/manager. What they forget is that taking care of guys like Micah is what got them to where they are in the first place......so they COULD grow to where they are now, then they change because they loose sight of why they got into business in the first place.

They look for ways to get out of helping the little guy instead of doing what they should have done or what they WOULD have done when the business was in it's infancy.

The $300 tops(shipping included) to send Micah a new K member is a drop in the bucket compared to where they are now in the salesman investing time in this post. The salesman going to his supervisor and taking his time to get involved, the bad exposure this post has given them.

Car guys are one big family, keep one guy with a problem happy he will tell all his buddies he hangs out with and so forth and so on. **** him off he goes to the boards and hence where we are now, BMR in the long run will loose 100 times the business for the cost of a $300 K member, absolutely mind boggling to me.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
////
So... Should they do this with every instance?

What makes the next 10 instances any different?

You can't do business like that, period.

If I take a LCA and cause damage to it with no proof I bought it from them 7 years ago, should they replace it in full?

I understand this design had problems but it doesn't change the fact that you guys expect BMR to replace a part with no proof of purchase in full.

All they want is proof of purchase. I have proof of everything I have ever bought, I am responsible enough to manage things like that.

I have dealt with BMR in the past... One reason their prices on things is a tad higher is because of good customer service. They will help you out just as much as any other sponsor with reason.... IF you are being REASONABLE. Which from my experience with these idiots, they aren't reasonable by any means.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Basically if what I'm saying.... I'm hearing, if a customer complains or threatens to complain... Do everything they want do they are happy.

This isn't Burger King, you can't have it your way.. That is for children.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Really??You blind or just ignorant?

The parts that are tearing are hooked to the lower control arms. When that fails you cannot steer the car AT ALL. The front lower control arm supports the weight of the front of the car.

Now, Imagine you bee bopping down the interstate at 80 mph and you hit a dip or an uneven part of pavement and the lower control arm mounting point rips out of the car. You can't steer it, you are along for the ride until it decides to stop. When you step on the brakes the tire assembly will rotate and most likely rip the upper arm off, then the wheel will exit the car......no brakes, no steering in a 3500lb car running 80 MPH.

Hope like hell it doesn't cross into oncoming traffic.

There is an old saying. Please memorize it for all the world.

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"
Sorry dude, not ignorant just realistic. For all that to happen the entire unit would have to fail at every part at the exact same time. That would be one hell of a dip in the road. Not to mention he would have to be blind not to see any issues when he did oil changes. And if it did happen he wouldn't need to worry about the brakes. You drop that engine and all the suspension on the ground and you'll be coming to a pretty abrupt stop. I'm not saying it's not a dangerous situation. I am just saying all this talk about death and dying is just a cheap trick to bring more drama to this situation. Saying it was unsafe would be sufficient. And like everyone keeps saying, just prove you bought it. Thats all you have to do.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Since everyone has gotten so far off track this was my original post showing what happened and asking if anyone had similar problems. Not me saying "hey give me free stuff"

I have a Bmr km003 K-member on my car. I started having problems with the alignment going way out lastnight and being toed in. Jacked it up this morning and noticed that the welds on the A-arm mounts have broken away on both sides of the driver side and started to also crack on the passenger side. Anyone else had this problem?

Old 05-26-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

After talking with several different sponsors it is ALWAYS more appreciated if you go to them in private BEFORE posting about it. They are always more willing to go out of their way.

Post it openly on the forums without it resolved and they will do less. This has been the case from 4 different sponsors and each have told me the same thing.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

I emailed them about it first then wanted to see if this had happened to anyone else. started to do some research on it and noticed how incidents there were.

Originally Posted by lemons12
After talking with several different sponsors it is ALWAYS more appreciated if you go to them in private BEFORE posting about it. They are always more willing to go out of their way.

Post it openly on the forums without it resolved and they will do less. This has been the case from 4 different sponsors and each have told me the same thing.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I emailed them about it first then wanted to see if this had happened to anyone else. started to do some research on it and noticed how incidents there were.
While I can't say that this is "out of line" or something that most would/wouldn't do.. It would have been best to keep it quiet until resolved.

Chalk it up to experience as far as that part of the situation.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Products are revised all the time, doesn't mean they recall/replace ALL the old ones. That's just plain silly, and you grown *** men should know better then to pretend that. And Lemons took it to a whole nother level

Can we all say in harmony, "hangover"? LOL
Old 05-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

In originality I was just trying to see who all this had happened to. Didn't intend for it to turn into what it has. but when you get many opinionated people on one page it happens. In my thoughts I think bmr should replace it since there is no denying its there k member and no denying they had to redesign it. I think any of the previous model k members they have problems with should be replaced since it is a non ware part that again had to be redesigned over flaws. But with that being said I also see where everyone else is coming from.

Originally Posted by lemons12
While I can't say that this is "out of line" or something that most would/wouldn't do.. It would have been best to keep it quiet until resolved.

Chalk it up to experience as far as that part of the situation.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

In originality I was just trying to see who all this had happened to. Didn't intend for it to turn into what it has. but when you get many opinionated people on one page it happens. In my thoughts I think bmr should replace it since there is no denying its there k member and no denying they had to redesign it. I think any of the previous model k members they have problems with should be replaced since it is a non ware part that again had to be redesigned over flaws. But with that being said I also see where everyone else is coming from.
Sucks when there is two very valid POV's... Which is best is dependent on which side of the fence you're on.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

I agree with the above. If you were on either side, pre-incident, that is the side you're going to side with. If BMR was OP, BMR would be screaming for a refund. If OP was BMR, OP would be saying, "really dude?"
Old 05-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

Since everyone has gotten so far off track this was my original post showing what happened and asking if anyone had similar problems. Not me saying "hey give me free stuff"
The OP is spot on with this comment. Let's keep it to Tech discussion and to the original question if anyone has experience or insight in to the mechanics of this type of failure.

Customer service issues can be handled by the OP and seller off-line.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LSXNV
Sorry dude, not ignorant just realistic. For all that to happen the entire unit would have to fail at every part at the exact same time. That would be one hell of a dip in the road. Not to mention he would have to be blind not to see any issues when he did oil changes. And if it did happen he wouldn't need to worry about the brakes. You drop that engine and all the suspension on the ground and you'll be coming to a pretty abrupt stop. I'm not saying it's not a dangerous situation. I am just saying all this talk about death and dying is just a cheap trick to bring more drama to this situation. Saying it was unsafe would be sufficient. And like everyone keeps saying, just prove you bought it. Thats all you have to do.
What forces are ripping that metal? You think the front lower control arms have no load, push/pull or rotational forces applied by the brakes?

Only ONE lower control arm has to come loose for it to be a catastrophic failure under braking.

Tell you what you do smart guy, go pull both lower control arm bolts out at the k member and buzz down the interstate at 80mph, slam on the brakes and get back with me.

Until then I guess ignorance is bliss.

Quick Reply: Bmr tubualar K member welds breaking?