Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bmr tubualar K member welds breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Micah41091
Since everyone has gotten so far off track this was my original post showing what happened and asking if anyone had similar problems. Not me saying "hey give me free stuff"

Post #9:

Mild steel. I got a reply email back today saying they'll cover 20% of it even though they had to redesign it because of issues like mine where they have broke. I thought they'd treat it like a recall considering it could cause personal injury or death if breaking in certain scenarios.
Post #11:

Shouldn't have to worry about a bmr one breaking either. they're supposed to be a reputable company thats been around for years. One that honors a product and replaces it when the first design is faulty.
You're full of ****. You absolutely are saying "hey give me free stuff". You're attempting to extort BMR with internet slander. You know damn well EVERY brand of aftermarket K-member has a history of breaking on the street.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think these parts just have a limited service life, and
the problem is with expectations. If you wanted dead
reliable, you had that in the factory piece. Compromises
were made, by seller and buyer, and now you have to
work your way out of it one way or another.

Here is the link to my break & repair stuff. I make no
guarantees. But the repair has lasted as long as the
virgin piece, more or less, at this point. Yours is more
torn up than mine was, however.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ber-broke.html
Old 05-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol at the guys grabbing straws to defend BMR. This isn't the first time a BMR K-member has failed. Why do you think it was redesigned? If I'm wrong, I would love to hear their reason on why it was redesigned.

Just an example. I bought a '01 ford escape with over 200k and who knows how many owners. I received a letter for a recall for a faulty cruise control. Saying that they will fix it. That car been through a lot of miles/owners and their willing to repair it 12yrs later for free.

BMR should be doing the same thing knowing that this isn't the first issue with their old design.

I find it convenient that they updated their systems in '04 and if I read correctly the OP bought it in '03. It shouldn't make a difference whether it was 5 owners ago. This old design obviously had issues.

OP shouldn't settle for anything less than free or 50%. The 20% offer is a joke, you can get that at tax time.

Thanks to whoever the mod is that is keeping this opened. I'm surprised it hasn't disappeared.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28

Post #9:

Post #11:

You're full of ****. You absolutely are saying "hey give me free stuff". You're attempting to extort BMR with internet slander. You know damn well EVERY brand of aftermarket K-member has a history of breaking on the street.
I haven't posted slander and if there's so many cases of other brands k members breaking then please show me where they have countless events of breaking and had to be redesigned over it.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

After all that though.. are the weight savings even a plus?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
After all that though.. are the weight savings even a plus?
I personally never thought so. I've seen enough warnings and issues with bent/broken tubular K members - regardless of brand - to ever want to consider them. Similar with the LCAs, I've read a lot of reports of those bending/breaking so my factory ones are staying put. Then given that for a street car neither the aftermarket K member or front LCAs provide any real benefit, well...
Old 05-26-2013, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
What forces are ripping that metal? You think the front lower control arms have no load, push/pull or rotational forces applied by the brakes?

Only ONE lower control arm has to come loose for it to be a catastrophic failure under braking.

Tell you what you do smart guy, go pull both lower control arm bolts out at the k member and buzz down the interstate at 80mph, slam on the brakes and get back with me.

Until then I guess ignorance is bliss.
If you read my posts you would notice I DID have this happen. 80mph, hit the brakes, sheared a lower ball, and lower a-arm bolt. Rolled the entire spindle, tire, and upper into my fender. I didn't flip 50 times in a ball a flames. I didn't wreck 12 cars as I slid at an uncontrollable, outrageous 80mph. It just dropped the nose on the ground and came to a sparkfilled, VERY quick stop. So you're right, ignorance IS bliss. And like I said, his issue was dangerous, but NOT deadly.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont get why people in her are trying to bash BMR for this guys broken k-member, he purchased the car used with the k-member on it, so I guess if the engine blew up he should be talking to GM about replacing it? get real if it had been the stock k-member he would of just sucked it up as being a used car and was sold to him with something wrong with it, so now why all the sudden does BMR have to shell out for something that was old used and who knows what happend, the OP himself could of hit a huge pothole, maybe went flying down a bumpy road to hard, after 8 years lots of things could of happend to weaken this piece, and simply because its aftermarket he expects it to be replaced? get real. I guess when I blow up my 10k engine after all the drag racing I do on it I should make Texas speed give me a new one even though I purchased it used and subject it to alot of abuse. Stop throwing blame and looking for handounts, same way with the bubbling sail panels on our cars its not GM's problem anymore, to long ago and they dont even make the sail anymore, sorry but when its old and used you shouldnt be asking for a full replacment be happy there even working with you
Old 05-27-2013, 12:46 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't get it repaired? Whats the big deal.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LSXNV
If you read my posts you would notice I DID have this happen. 80mph, hit the brakes, sheared a lower ball, and lower a-arm bolt. Rolled the entire spindle, tire, and upper into my fender. I didn't flip 50 times in a ball a flames. I didn't wreck 12 cars as I slid at an uncontrollable, outrageous 80mph. It just dropped the nose on the ground and came to a sparkfilled, VERY quick stop. So you're right, ignorance IS bliss. And like I said, his issue was dangerous, but NOT deadly.
Ok, because you were LUCKY you think it's ok?

I get it now. Carry on.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't posted slander and if there's so many cases of other brands k members breaking then please show me where they have countless events of breaking and had to be redesigned over it.
I shouldn't have to point out this site's search feature. There are dozens of posts from all manufacturers. Need more proof? Use Google. Just search for "broken XXX K member" You'll find issues with every brand of aftermarket K-member across multiple platforms, not just the 4th gen F-body. But as I said before, you already know this!

FWIW - I am in no way trying to defend BMR here. I had a minor issue with them a few years ago (not K-member related) and I'm not their biggest fan. However, I believe this thread is a thinly guised ploy to get a free replacement.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
I dont get why people in her are trying to bash BMR for this guys broken k-member, he purchased the car used with the k-member on it, so I guess if the engine blew up he should be talking to GM about replacing it? get real if it had been the stock k-member he would of just sucked it up as being a used car and was sold to him with something wrong with it, so now why all the sudden does BMR have to shell out for something that was old used and who knows what happend, the OP himself could of hit a huge pothole, maybe went flying down a bumpy road to hard, after 8 years lots of things could of happend to weaken this piece, and simply because its aftermarket he expects it to be replaced? get real. I guess when I blow up my 10k engine after all the drag racing I do on it I should make Texas speed give me a new one even though I purchased it used and subject it to alot of abuse. Stop throwing blame and looking for handounts, same way with the bubbling sail panels on our cars its not GM's problem anymore, to long ago and they dont even make the sail anymore, sorry but when its old and used you shouldnt be asking for a full replacment be happy there even working with you
I defiantly put the k member on the car myself just like I did all my own work. I don't know what makes you think you know anything about me or my car or how I bought it because you obviously don't. When I bought the car it was bone stock besides a set of tt2's and led reverse lights so don't go off saying I bought the car with the bmr k member already in it. And none of your comparisons are not even close. A k member is a piece of steel A NON WARE PART not a engine. Completely different. and if you think a engine is a non ware part then this obviously shows why you think it should not be warrantied.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

I did a quick search before I posted that reply and didn't find anything. I didn't dig to deep though. just a quick one so I wouldn't have to put my foot in my mouth lol. But originally I was just trying to see proof of other people who had problems with bmr's k members so I could be more educated on them. I know what its turned into. Do I think they should warranty it? yes. I find looking for a free handout a tad different then wanting them to warranty a flawed 550$ piece that had to be redesigned. We can all agree on this because bmr said it themselves. So no I am not looking for a free handout just what I think in my mind is the right thing for bmr to do.

I shouldn't have to point out this site's search feature. There are dozens of posts from all manufacturers. Need more proof? Use Google. Just search for "broken XXX K member" You'll find issues with every brand of aftermarket K-member across multiple platforms, not just the 4th gen F-body. But as I said before, you already know this!

FWIW - I am in no way trying to defend BMR here. I had a minor issue with them a few years ago (not K-member related) and I'm not their biggest fan. However, I believe this thread is a thinly guised ploy to get a free replacement.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

toyota is replacing frames after the vehicles were 13+ years old.... so that is a moot point, that a manufacturer wouldn't honor this kind of replacement.

I was thinking about an aftermarket K-member... after seeing a bunch of these I am going to stick to stock
Old 05-27-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We can't compare OEM and Aftermarket companies here...
Old 05-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Funny how people wanna post up saying he bought the car with it and all that non sense when they have no idea what they're talking about.

IMO what's a $300 k member to what could have been a serious injury or death/lawsuit.

But that's just my opinion i agree a defective part should be warrantied regardless of who purchased it.

Hopefully everything will work out for both parties bc I know Micah takes care of his car it's one of the nicest fbodies I've seen and I also agree that bmr isn't a bad company.

Well see how it plays out if nothing gets resolved I say just brace the **** out of it and keep and eye on it
Old 05-27-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tend to agree with both the manufacturer and the OP.

From a consumer standpoint, this would absolutely suck. Shell out $500+ for a K-member that has known defects within the original design. The thing that I don't really agree with thus far is the people trying to compare this aftermarket piece with a stock unit. The OP has stated his car is garage kept, and doesn't see much track time. You can see by the pictures that several of the welds are cracked. This is a manufacturing/design issue, not a consumer issue.

But to BMR's defense... they can't just go out and ship every original owner of the previous design a brand new k-member. Especially considering the OP cannot provide documentation of his purchase. I'm glad that BMR has made an attempt to make things right with the OP, as right now, it's negative feelings all around. Negative feelings for BMR, and negative feelings for the OP.

Truly hope that this gets worked out guys.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

GM, like all OEMs, offer extended warranties for known defects that are safety issues. Sometimes they even offer them on non-safety items as customer satisfaction programs. That being said, I believe the 20% offer from BMR was more than adequate.

NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY makes an aftermarket K-member strong enough for street use. Not BMR, Spohn, PA, AJE, etc. NOBODY does regardless of what they claim. ALL aftermarket K-member manufacturers have a LONG history of broken parts.
Yes sir!! You are right.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

A k-member is a non ware part. Its a piece of steel. in my opinion they shouldn't break unless there in some kind of impact or wreck. I told them the full name it was purchased under and I can't help that they swapped there systems years back and don't have any previous records because of it. that doesn't mean that I did not purchase it and regardless it is a bmr k member and there is no denying its there product. Im not here to argue with people I was just simply showing pictures of what happened.
I get your POV, but if a factory K-Member can break I dont see why a aftermarket lighter K-Member wouldnt. Most companies have issues with their K-Members, I understand if the products break like within a year or so but over that long period of time (in your case) I would expect it to give up eventually.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

Got the K member pulled tonight. Going to post some more/better pictures of the damage.

Last edited by Micah41091; 05-28-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Bmr tubualar K member welds breaking?