Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bmr tubualar K member welds breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 12:58 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use one of those engine hoists that hold on to the shock towers? Im trying to do my k-member swap in my driveway lol. How long did it take to pull it?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamantium
Did you use one of those engine hoists that hold on to the shock towers? Im trying to do my k-member swap in my driveway lol. How long did it take to pull it?
Have the motor supported by a jackstand and 2x4 under the oil pan. Left the A arms on the car attached to the spindals and shock tower and left the power steering rack in too. Unbolted it from the K member and tied it up to the sway bar. took about 3-4 hours going slow and taking breaks.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

Well got the K- member pulled tonight. have a few more/better pictures of the damage. Besides being dirty from pulling it and some specs of rtv it is very good shape. (minus broken A arm mounts).

Proof car is not wrecked or been taken off any fast and furious jumps like one user said

driver side

passenger side

Old 05-28-2013, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
The k-member in question was built before the redesign so it is at least 7-8 years of age if not older and gone through who knows what kind of abuse. Another issue is that the OP is not the original purchaser of the k-member. These two things alone make it really hard for us to just straight up warranty the k-member. Even though the k-member is way beyond the warranty period and the OP is not the original purchaser we gave him some some option that we feel were very fair considering the circumstances.

Originally Posted by Micah41091
Mild steel. I got a reply email back today saying they'll cover 20% of it

sounds fair to me
Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, I never accused you of taking Fast and Furious jumps. I'm just saying that BMR has no way of knowing what that K-member has gone through, and I guess you still haven't provided absolute proof that you are the original purchaser. All you have is your word, and while that means a lot to a guy like me, BMR could get themselves in a lot of trouble taking people's word for things. Receipts would be a thing of the past and their revenue would drop.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Coppertone
Dude, I never accused you of taking Fast and Furious jumps. I'm just saying that BMR has no way of knowing what that K-member has gone through, and I guess you still haven't provided absolute proof that you are the original purchaser. All you have is your word, and while that means a lot to a guy like me, BMR could get themselves in a lot of trouble taking people's word for things. Receipts would be a thing of the past and their revenue would drop.
Never did go back to read who said it or exactly what was said. Sorry just stuck out in my mind. Thought it was kinda funny, But I told them the name it was bought under and they said there systems had been updated so they can't pull up previous records from years back. Didn't mean to offend you though. Just thought it was funny. All I can see is a firebird actually flying in my mind lol
Old 05-28-2013, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

lol it's all good. This is really just one of those things where each side has a "valid" argument and you are bound to side with whatever side you were on pre-incident. I can honestly see both sides of the argument.

If I were you, I'd either take the 20% and get a new "updated" k-member or scrap iron that one and buy a OEM piece.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

for a 7+ year old part it really dont look like it has had much use to me?

If BMR was really "Car Guys" like they say I think a 50% discount should of been offered at minimum or even tell him to send it back and they'll repair it at no cost since he's out labor and a alinement fee's

i'll say it again this is not a part they sold made by some one else that they need proof of purchase so they can return it and get credit for the replacement this is 100% there part so that proof of purchase is just away out for them IMO

true "car guys" will go out of the way to help each other and dont need a peace of paper before they do, Company's need receipts.........BMR just showed every one your just a money sign to them and nothing more!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is that really the new BMR design? If so it looks a
lot weaker than my old-style one. But repairable
with a bit of angle iron, some kind of come-along
and moderate welding skill.

Looking at the BMR web site photos, the K they
advertise looks pretty different in the details of
A-arm mount area construction. So either your
piece was a design newer than mine but since
re-redesigned, or their product photo is wrong,
or this piece came from someone else. At least,
to my eye. Which has been on this stuff for a
while.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/siteart...M003_large.jpg
Old 05-28-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

I think a lot of people are still missing the reason why BMR isn't giving him a 100% refund. The main issue is there is no proof of him purchasing the product. I think the OP was def the original purchaser, but you just can't expect to get a full refund from a 7 years of usage with no receipt.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I think a lot of people are still missing the reason why BMR isn't giving him a 100% refund. The main issue is there is no proof of him purchasing the product. I think the OP was def the original purchaser, but you just can't expect to get a full refund from a 7 years of usage with no receipt.
I think you are missing the point..... that is, this without a doubt is a BMR product. A BMR product that was built and sold IN HOUSE. A BMR product that has had TWO re designs because they were faulty. Who cares who bought it?

These units should be replaced PERIOD by BMR based SOLELY on it was a bad design and quite dangerous in my opinion.

This is a bad BMR PRODUCT.Designed, built and sold by BMR, advertised as BETTER than the OEM unit, suitable for anything you do with it.....but now they won't back up their own claims, shouldn't matter who the hell bought or owns it, it's not like he made his car into a Monster Jam truck.

If anything this is false advertising, nowhere in the parts description does it have a "safe lifespan" or a "replace after XXX miles or X years due to fatigue and possible cracking or metal tearing". Know why? No one would buy the thing....that's why. Because it's dangerous.

BMR continues to shoot it's foot off. They to will close up shop just like every other business that has walked this path......mark my words, it's coming.

This post and the others coming down the pipe like it will seal their fate.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Micah41091
Well got the K- member pulled tonight. have a few more/better pictures of the damage. Besides being dirty from pulling it and some specs of rtv it is very good shape. (minus broken A arm mounts).

Proof car is not wrecked or been taken off any fast and furious jumps like one user said

driver side

passenger side

$500+ boat anchor.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I get the point. I just strongly believe that having a proof of purchase is important. So no, I don't think anyone should just be able to bring in their part that they could have gotten from anywhere and have no traces to them purchasing the product and get a free replacement. Sorry, I just have to agree to disagree.

Unfortunately the amount of $hitty shady people in this world (not directed at the OP) that are willing to work the system is massive. Way too many people in this world that are willing to screw you over. Because of these people, we all have to cover our @sses and make life more difficult for the ones who are innocent.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

I get the point. I just strongly believe that having a proof of purchase is important. So no, I don't think anyone should just be able to bring in their part that they could have gotten from anywhere and have no traces to them purchasing the product and get a free replacement. Sorry, I just have to agree to disagree.

Unfortunately the amount of $hitty shady people in this world (not directed at the OP) that are willing to work the system is massive. Way too many people in this world that are willing to screw you over. Because of these people, we all have to cover our @sses and make life more difficult for the ones who are innocent.
So you think this K member just dropped out of the sky????? BMR confirmed it's their K member. So where else do you think he bought it from??

Geez man.........really? Do you sleep with the light on??
Old 05-28-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Please don't quote the pics.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

This picture CLEARLY shows a faulty weld.

As does this one

I am all about the "right thing" happening here, and so far it hasn't.

You can bet your *** on one thing, BMR won't see a dime of my money, ever again.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Coppertone
Please don't quote the pics.
You need a Zanax or something
Old 05-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The receipt argument you keep bringing up is moot. The product has be identified as a BMR piece. Have you read what there site states about the product?

BMR Tubular K-members are designed to provide a lightweight alternative to the factory K-member as well as provide additional clearance for aftermarket headers and turbo systems. Our unique design on our V8 models feature integrated frame stands that replace the factory cast iron frame stands. This additional weight reduction allows us to use larger diameter tubing and thicker mounting plates for additional strength over the competition. This means that you can use the K-member for street use, road race, autocross, or drag strip use. BMR K-members are built exclusively using larger diameter 1-5/8" x .120" and 1-1/4" x .095" tubing yet still remain up to 7.5 lbs. lighter than the competitions due to our integrated mount design. Using our tubular K-member and upper/lower a-arm set, expect a minimum weight reduction of 42 lbs. Combine this with a coil-over style spring/shock combo and a lightweight front brake setup and lose over 100 lbs. off the front end! Available in Black Hammertone or red powdercoat.

If it were to be broken during anytime while doing the things listed it CAN and is intended for why wouldn't it be their priority to replace it? Next time maybe not make promises or claims that they wont back up.

Last edited by adamantium; 05-28-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
BMR continues to shoot it's foot off. They to will close up shop just like every other business that has walked this path......mark my words, it's coming.

This post and the others coming down the pipe like it will seal their fate.
Exaggerate much?

And Coppertone is right, you really don't need to quote the pics. Especially multiple times.

You're acting like BMR kicked your dog or something.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think it was ever disputed that it wasn't a BMR part. The bit about needing proof of purchase is because most companies only offer warranty or special service to the original buyer. (non-transferable warranties)

Quick Reply: Bmr tubualar K member welds breaking?